Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

Memes made by Godinez senior that appeared on Snapchat and Instagram

Anonymous Instagram account

Anonymous Instagram account

Anonymous Instagram account

Laura Horta and Marycruz Rivera

A Grizzly can always turn to its family for better or worse.

But with an uprising from the senior class about cabinet conduct of Godinez ASB, there’s controversy. The class of 2019 argues about the lack of work ASB does. Some students have expressed their anger towards ASB by making hate accounts, spreading rumors, and arguing how ASB could do better. It didn’t take long for ASB to resist the urge to respond.

Some seniors have spoken up on their opinions on the effort of ASB and critique of their work this year.

Senior Lucie Gonzalez said, “ ASB has so much on their plate they’re trying their best, and if people can’t see that, oh well. If everyone participated with ASB everything would’ve been good. In a way, it’s our fault.”

Gonzalez, a former girls soccer player, was asked about ASB not attending away games and she responded, “ ASB can’t always be everywhere. They have obligations and homework just like we do. If they at least show up to one game, be thankful. If they didn’t show up at all, say something instead of backlashing them.”

Vice President of ASB Senate, Filiberto Flores, had the same perspective as Gonzalez. When asked about school spirit Flores said, “You guys want more spirit, but no one participates. You want ASB to be screaming and supporting a game, but how are they going to do it, if it’s only them? If you want to show spirit then do it yourself, don’t wait for ASB to set an example.”

When faced with the spite for some seniors Flores said, “ People have misconceptions that Senate is their own thing. When people bash on ASB they consider both.” (Senate is faced with judgment and is being falsely accused of a problem they are not involved in.)

The owners of hate accounts on Instagram were asked to be interviewed, but they denied the offer. Showing the “real bravery” they have to stand by their opinion.

100 seniors we interviewed spoke of how they hate what ASB is doing, yet no one was willing to go on record.

Only one out of 100 seniors who were questioned were willing to go on the record. Why they didn’t want to go on record is shocking. Some were afraid of repercussion from staff members and ASB.  While others didn’t go on record because their comments are seen as bullying.

Senior Giselle Grande spoke her mind on the situation of ASB. Grande expressed, “ I respect ASB and everything they do, but sometimes I feel like it’s a hierarchy.” She expands on how ASB mainly accepts applicants that are their friends, giving an unfair advantage towards the rest of the student body.

Grande and other senior students have seen threats towards ASB. Grande claimed, “On social media, ASB threatened to cancel our dances and other activities. It’s unfair and pretty idiotic to say.” ASB members used profanity and threats that added more gas to the flame. Yet, their posts were immediately taken down due to how they knew it was wrong and to save their reputation.

After discussing with ASB about the online comments; ASB is willing to listen. Remarks from the senior class don’t sit well with the club.

Daniel Tena, ASB advisor, was asked about the statements Grande made. He said, “ I’ve spoken to students already, I’ve done my part and I told my students to stay off social media.  The week before it started I told my kids don’t reply to any negative things on social media. And they were tested and somebody hit reply. If that’s what one of my students did I do apologize for it, but it’s not something that we promote and everybody knows not to do that.”

Tena expands on the problem of the students and ASB and added, “This problem has been happening since the opening of Godinez.” He has been in charge for seven years and still gets complaints about the music choices,

When something goes wrong with ASB events, right away the students are quick to criticize.  ASB is open to requests but many of the requests the critics make are either costly or not good enough.

Tena states that he spends time and money on DJ’s that everyone might like. “It’s our aim to please everybody, it’s just a reality that we cannot. Not that it matters because we had over 100 votes for the shirts but only 38 seniors bought the shirt.”

Some ASB students are friends with people that are criticizing them, however, they don’t take their opinion into consideration. Tena said, “One of my students that is in charge of music is their friend but he isn’t doing his part to take their options into consideration.”

If you have any suggestions you can actually go to the ASB room every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during their 0 period. Approach the open door instead of expressing your opinions that won’t get anywhere.

38 Responses to “Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB”

1. hugo on October 8th, 2018 9:35 am

This is just the surface of the story! There is deeper information !! You didnt ask the poeple that were actually involed!!! HMU !!

2. adviser on October 9th, 2018 8:48 am

Hi, our two reporters diligently did their research and asked 100 students to respond to what was happening with ASB. Out of all the students who disagreed with ASB, only one person would go on the record. The Grizzly Gazette stands by its story. And didn’t and involved are misspelled.

3. Brian I Solis on October 9th, 2018 8:35 am

I think that ASB is trying their hardest to do everything they can to try and satisfy every single individual but, I recently gained in learning the nuance of the situation I have an idea. Many students are feeling very lackluster when it comes to school spirit and say that there needs to be a change. A way that we can fix this is by increasing the amount of ASB students by adding another class and gaining more help. this would lead to being able to collect intel from the students and revising what ASB is doing in order to try to and have a positive change in the annals for the seniors next year.

4. Andrea on October 9th, 2018 8:38 am

These avid ASB students take pride in their school and do everything they can to make this place better. However, everyone else must also cooperate with ASB and participate in activities and show school spirit because you can’t expect them to do it all. You must also be indiscriminate about their choices for dances or spirit weeks because at least they’re trying. Instead of bullying online, you should go up to them and make kind suggestions.

5. camila on October 9th, 2018 9:00 am

ABS is always the class that seems to have most of the activities. They are in charge of the dances, pep rallies, and many more. But it seems that they can’t do everything everyone expects them to do. It looks like a throng of seniors loathe ABS for the lack of work they do. Like seniors are saying that ASB doesn’t do much at games, but there are students how don’t even show up at games or cheer.

6. Heather Pineda on October 9th, 2018 10:28 am

I think ASB did a great job on being nicely furtive towards all this hate; I also liked how everyone from ASB didn’t reply even though they wanted to because they were probably irate about what other people were saying about them.

7. Josue on October 9th, 2018 10:38 am

Each time ASB makes a mistake people are quick to go and point it out. They are humans like us and like every other human we make mistakes. We should stop fabricating rumors and instead help out ASB. Imagine if someone would go around pointing out and reminding you of the mistakes you have done. So stop, it would be better to stop badgering ASB.

8. Erick Garcia on October 9th, 2018 10:46 am

I feel that not only the seniors are to blame for these infamous acts of loathing towards ASB, but other classes as well. I am a Sophomore and I see this from all points of views. I understand why some people may not like ASB. Some people complain that ASB lacks school spirit when it’s not all true. When we have school spirit weeks, majority of the school does not even participate! People are such hypocrites. Its best to just come to a resolution as a school and support ASB rather then always backlash them with hatred and criticism. If we really want a change in our school then we have to be the change and not blame ASB for everything. You can maybe help out ASB instead of always blaming everything on them.

9. Irma Mateo on October 9th, 2018 12:12 pm

I believe that ASB is doing their best to cheer us on, bring school spirit, and bring out more fun. Some people complain that they have mundane ideas for spirit week and that’s why they don’t like it but the last spirit week, ASB spoke up to our AVID class and asked if we had any suggestions since people were complaining about it. ASB tries their best in everything and I am very thankful. I know that they are open to any suggestions and they would be willing to do if it was reasonable and attainable. ASB is not going to implore you guys to give them suggestions, it’s up to you to speak up.

10. Melissa Aceves on October 9th, 2018 12:15 pm

I do not think it´s fair to loathe or say hate comments about ASB because they try their best. Some people do not even participate and still complain about school spirit. People who make accounts just to hate on their own ASB are dupes because that is considered bullying and if ASB needs progress then you should share some great ideas instead of being negative.

11. Brenda Alegria on October 9th, 2018 12:16 pm

I feel as if ASB tries their best to do what they can for the school. The nuance included in this article is great ! The people who believe that ASB should be doing better do not perceive the hard work that is included. It takes more than just creative ideas for all the events there needs to be a lot of money to be able to satisfy to the whole school which is hard to do since there is only a limited amount of people that make them possible.

12. Daniela M. on October 9th, 2018 12:19 pm

This year I have recently joined ASB Senate and I finally understand the struggle and effort that is put into the activities we have here at Godinez. I have always been an avid student, and I am currently taking honors and AP classes, so I condole all of ASB’s work. We should all be thankful for what we have because there are many ASB students who are putting a lot of time and dedication into everything they do. I also believe that many students criticize ASB but don’t put their part in promoting spirit either. This year we should all work on enhancing the spirit of our school and creating a better environment in our school.

13. Chris Sanchez on October 9th, 2018 12:39 pm

Seniors are not only the ones who talk or say bad things about our ASB. Many people fabricate memes towards ASB. Within social media, people can talk a lot of things but they won’t share it with people face to face. Many students feel that ASB is the cause for uninteresting spirit weeks and pep rallies. But truly if the students participated and cheered on the school they would enhance the spirit of the school. ASB has a lot on their hands and if they can’t go support a game or something they shouldn’t be judged. Seniors aren’t the only ones that are sharing bad opinions towards ASB, it is everyone.

14. Esperanza Lopez on October 9th, 2018 12:40 pm

I agreed with the fact that ASB students are hard workers and, sometimes, they can’t attend games to support and cheer their school on. Since I was ASB president in middle school, I know how difficult it is to please everyone and it is not always possible to do so. So that being said, the badgering going around school about ASB students not supporting others is incredibly not true. There are so many aspects that go into the club that not a lot of students know about. However, I believe the ASB students should be the bigger person and not respond to the hate; instead, they should take the criticism and try to enhance ASB.

15. Nirvana on October 9th, 2018 1:14 pm

I understand that ASB must be steeped with work but it does seem extremely out of touch with the student body as a whole. I feel like this is pretty biased in favor of ASB but it does have some valid points. tbh if the communication between ASB and the rest of the school was a tinge bit better then there wouldn’t be this conflict.

16. David Ramirez on October 9th, 2018 1:15 pm

I think that rather than criticizing ASB, people should repudiate their statements toward ASB and people should look at the nuances of the situation. ASB can’t go to all the games and students should also be supporting their sports teams at away games.

17. michelle on October 9th, 2018 1:35 pm

I think ASB does do a lot for our school, but I think this year ASB’s work is lacking and it doesn’t show “the effort” they put. I think this is why many people dislike them and bully them. When it does look like they put in the effort it looks like it half and indiscriminate effort put in because they could of compound better. I as well don’t think its ok for them to fight back because they are the main ones to represent our school, which is better for them to be reticent.

18. Kayle on October 11th, 2018 11:23 am

I believe that the strong complaining about ASB is incorrect. I believe that ASB is full of adroit students who devote their time to making the school a better place. ASB can always be seen trying to hype students during games, but most classes
    don’t respond. ASB is not to blame for this.

19. Mr. Morgan on October 17th, 2018 8:16 am

ASB is one of the most under appreciated groups at our school. They sign up to stick out their neck for the whole of the student body. They don’t judge whether a sport is winning or losing. They are supportive, they are energetic, and I really appreciate them. Thanks ASB for making this school great.

20. Jennifer on October 17th, 2018 8:19 am

I think that ASB is doing a great job. The students in ASB put time and effort to make this school a better place.

21. Han on October 17th, 2018 8:23 am

I feel as though the ASB is trying their best to attend the games and bring on school spirit. No one really participates which explains why there is no school spirit. They are doing great in organizing school events and that hard work should be recognized. They often stay late after school to make posters. ASB should not be blamed for this.

22. Alexis on October 17th, 2018 8:24 am

I believe ASB is doing a great job. Other student’s opinions matter, however, no one really understands the stress they must have organizing school events as well as passing their classes. I’ve passed by the ASB room and witnessed how determined they are to get posters done. I got to see the stress one has when they mess up and start all over again. Personally, I believe we should thank them for going above and beyond.

23. Vanessa on October 17th, 2018 8:25 am

It is understandable that seniors would be the ones to lash out at ASB. Most seniors want the best of the best and everything perfect for their last year here. However ASB cannot do everything as they are students too. They have classes and sports and they try. Other schools have ASBs that could improve more than ours in terms of spirit or other things. So I say be grateful for what you have.

24. Emi on October 17th, 2018 8:37 am

When reading the article, there are valid points that are brought up. Yeah, ASB seems to be a little detached from the rest of the school, but is it really their fault? They are being ostracized and are also underrepresented. I know someone in ASB, and people have to realize that they have schedules and lives of their own. I was shocked when I heard about the after school activities they had to do. Even with ASB being a 0 period, they still stay after school for a while.
    Besides, it’s a problem within the whole community. No one is listening to the other. It’s a cat fight instead of a civilized discussion with compromises and a guild line set in terms of interactions and activities. Nothing is going to change if there aren’t actions to combat this. To the seniors doing this, memes are all in good fun, but surely there are better ways to get your issues with ASB across. Combined with the experience of the ASB members and older students that are mature enough to find solutions, they should be able to do something.

25. Frank m on October 17th, 2018 1:02 pm

I enjoyed this article because it showed both sides to the conflict and not just one. That seems to be a big problem with the media so it’s refreshing to see both sides being presented. I enjoyed reading both sides arguments as they both made good points.

26. Janny Jibas on October 17th, 2018 2:29 pm

I have way more memes that were destructive towards ASB. We should keep it real here, send me gmail a message for more pics. Also ASB should listen to others instead of just sticking to their “own.” Another main reason is true, its our class that doesn’t have as much spirit as the previous years. I remember coming in as a freshman to a pep rally with roars, yells, anything really. Now, our class didn’t even stand up at the 2nd pep rally when told to stand up and wave our hands around. Not as much people participate as before which is a problem where I would agree with Filiberto. I myself got a message or two from ASB members trying to defend themselves but with profanity and threats. I would be happy to send screenshots but they unsent their messages on Instagram (which is possible to unsend messages on instagram). ASB knows what they signed up for. Deal with it.

27. Danny on October 17th, 2018 6:05 pm

Grizzly Gazette is such fake news. Of course, always making ASB look nice and clean. This was so biased. There is way more to this than you guys believe. Ask the people that were actually involved. Sure you can ask 100 people but ask the right ones, I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t clown out. I’m pretty sure the reporters, judging by who it is, knew who to ask and probably didn’t simply because she didn’t want to. I bet they asked people they know about the subject, and if they also asked others, get the right people. Also if the owners of the hate accounts were interviewed, I’m pretty sure an ASB person would rat them out obviously or they would get in trouble somehow. We’re trying to speak out AND NOT get brought down by some stupid rule.

28. Ivonne Lopez on October 18th, 2018 12:05 pm

In my opinion, I truly think that ASB is trying their hardest to keep everyone happy, but if you were to be in their place you’d understand that it’s pretty hard. I think that all the loathe comments that ASB gets are not acceptable because they’re getting blamed for things that they shouldn’t be blamed for. For example, everyone talks about ASB not having school spirit but that isn’t something they should get blamed for since they’re not the only ones who are responsible for cheering at games. ASB should be thanked since they’re taking time out of their life to make events and keep everyone satisfied.

29. Erika on October 18th, 2018 1:02 pm

I think that Asb shouldn’t be biased when it comes to new people wanting to join their club. When it comes to asb my friends get irate when it comes to talking about asb. They go all out when it comes to spirt week or football game support, but where is those all the support go when it comes to other sports? I feel like the writer of this article is trying to implore that asb does well things just because they do all events. But on Thursday when asb those event in lunchtime to people even bother to participate? sometimes the student ignores what they are doing and move on.

30. Joaquin Claros on October 18th, 2018 1:05 pm

I believe that both the seniors and Asb are to blame. First the seniors for making the memes and say things about Asb. then Asb for reacting the way they did. I believe Asb shouldn’t have said anything to the students. Same goes for Seniors because they should be mature.

31. Ivonne Lopez on October 18th, 2018 1:08 pm

In my opinion, I think that ASB shouldn’t be receiving all these indiscriminate comments about them not showing school spirit and not doing things how people wish they did. I believe that they’re trying their hardest to keep everyone happy and you can clearly see that. We need to realize that they’re also students who have homework and studying to do and the fact that they’re voluntarily taking time out of their day to do stuff to make us enjoy being at school is something we should appreciate because clearly, not everyone is down to do that. We should really stop belittling ASB and instead be thankful for what they’re doing

32. Eileen on November 14th, 2018 12:17 pm

I think that ASB is trying their hardest to please everyone at this school. It is also our job to interact with ASB and give our opinions as to what we want them to do. If we don’t help and give ideas then ASB will do what they vote on, whether we like it or not. Everyone at our school needs to participate in order to make dances better and make the football games more fun.

33. Karla on November 14th, 2018 12:19 pm

In my opinion, ASB is trying their hardest to have lots of school spirit that other students don’t have or won’t show to make the school look better. Instead, ASB is steeped with inane comments from other students making fun of them for asking other students for their opinions for spirit weeks, dances, and anything related to school. These rampant jokes about ASB makes everyone mock the school and it brings down the whole school down and it most certainly makes ASB upset because I’m sure they get upset for all the hard work they put in to make the school more better and fun. If they didn’t want to make the school better they wouldn’t even bother to wake up early to come to school and make posters and plan things out for spirit weeks and upcoming dances.

34. Cesar Estrada on November 14th, 2018 12:20 pm

In my opinion, I don’t think ASB should be receiving this inane criticism. People shouldn’t be so quick to judge ASB just because they aren’t going to away games. You have to remember that ASB members are students too and they have homework and other responsibilities like the rest of us. Instead of ASB having to endure these hate comments maybe we can just talk to them face to face.

35. Leslie Casillas on November 14th, 2018 2:20 pm

As an ASB member, I felt irate with all the harsh comments being directed towards myself and my classmates, but as a class we used those comments as motivation to do even better. Being apart of ASB and seeing things that ASB do are two completely different things. Students see the finished product, ASB members see the process. While students presented their subjective comments regarding ASB in a caustic manner, ASB still took in all the input that was given to them by the students and tried incorporating these ideas as much as they could.

36. Angela Sierra on November 14th, 2018 7:50 pm

ASB has done the best that they can with the pep rally,dances such as homecoming,sadies,winter formal,ect and going to the games supporting our athletes. However, I concur that ASB should not be so biased on the people such as seniors who want to join ASB. ASB should allow new ideas to be added and not be brash about changing the themes and listen to others opinion. ASB has been doing the most these past years taking time out of their day planning activities to make the school year enjoyable for everyone.

37. Adrian Alvizo on November 27th, 2018 8:10 am

Personally yall are a bunch of softies. Take a joke.

38. Gerardo Yanez on December 3rd, 2018 10:09 am

Personally, I believe that ASB does a ton of things for our school and don’t get the credit they deserve. They plan every school event that is on our campus, and we take it as granted. The fact that many individuals believe that ASB is doing nothing in their power to spread school spirit, is mind-boggling.

• Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

Campus News

Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

Campus News

A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus

Campus News

New Teachers Land on Godinez Campus

Campus News

Memories Created by the Sound of Music

Campus News

Driving Towards a License

Campus News

Don’t Miss Out On The C.T.E Experience

Campus News

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

Campus News

Students Rushing To Clubs

Campus News

Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

Campus News

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves