Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

Memes made by Godinez senior that appeared on Snapchat and Instagram

Anonymous Instagram account

Anonymous Instagram account

Anonymous Instagram account

Laura Horta and Marycruz Rivera

A Grizzly can always turn to its family for better or worse.

But with an uprising from the senior class about cabinet conduct of Godinez ASB, there’s controversy. The class of 2019 argues about the lack of work ASB does. Some students have expressed their anger towards ASB by making hate accounts, spreading rumors, and arguing how ASB could do better. It didn’t take long for ASB to resist the urge to respond.

Some seniors have spoken up on their opinions on the effort of ASB and critique of their work this year.

Senior Lucie Gonzalez said, “ ASB has so much on their plate they’re trying their best, and if people can’t see that, oh well. If everyone participated with ASB everything would’ve been good. In a way, it’s our fault.”

Gonzalez, a former girls soccer player, was asked about ASB not attending away games and she responded, “ ASB can’t always be everywhere. They have obligations and homework just like we do. If they at least show up to one game, be thankful. If they didn’t show up at all, say something instead of backlashing them.”

Vice President of ASB Senate, Filiberto Flores, had the same perspective as Gonzalez. When asked about school spirit Flores said, “You guys want more spirit, but no one participates. You want ASB to be screaming and supporting a game, but how are they going to do it, if it’s only them? If you want to show spirit then do it yourself, don’t wait for ASB to set an example.”

When faced with the spite for some seniors Flores said, “ People have misconceptions that Senate is their own thing. When people bash on ASB they consider both.” (Senate is faced with judgment and is being falsely accused of a problem they are not involved in.)

The owners of hate accounts on Instagram were asked to be interviewed, but they denied the offer. Showing the “real bravery” they have to stand by their opinion.

100 seniors we interviewed spoke of how they hate what ASB is doing, yet no one was willing to go on record.

Only one out of 100 seniors who were questioned were willing to go on the record. Why they didn’t want to go on record is shocking. Some were afraid of repercussion from staff members and ASB.  While others didn’t go on record because their comments are seen as bullying.

Senior Giselle Grande spoke her mind on the situation of ASB. Grande expressed, “ I respect ASB and everything they do, but sometimes I feel like it’s a hierarchy.” She expands on how ASB mainly accepts applicants that are their friends, giving an unfair advantage towards the rest of the student body.

Grande and other senior students have seen threats towards ASB. Grande claimed, “On social media, ASB threatened to cancel our dances and other activities. It’s unfair and pretty idiotic to say.” ASB members used profanity and threats that added more gas to the flame. Yet, their posts were immediately taken down due to how they knew it was wrong and to save their reputation.

After discussing with ASB about the online comments; ASB is willing to listen. Remarks from the senior class don’t sit well with the club.

Daniel Tena, ASB advisor, was asked about the statements Grande made. He said, “ I’ve spoken to students already, I’ve done my part and I told my students to stay off social media.  The week before it started I told my kids don’t reply to any negative things on social media. And they were tested and somebody hit reply. If that’s what one of my students did I do apologize for it, but it’s not something that we promote and everybody knows not to do that.”

Tena expands on the problem of the students and ASB and added, “This problem has been happening since the opening of Godinez.” He has been in charge for seven years and still gets complaints about the music choices,

When something goes wrong with ASB events, right away the students are quick to criticize.  ASB is open to requests but many of the requests the critics make are either costly or not good enough.

Tena states that he spends time and money on DJ’s that everyone might like. “It’s our aim to please everybody, it’s just a reality that we cannot. Not that it matters because we had over 100 votes for the shirts but only 38 seniors bought the shirt.”

Some ASB students are friends with people that are criticizing them, however, they don’t take their opinion into consideration. Tena said, “One of my students that is in charge of music is their friend but he isn’t doing his part to take their options into consideration.”

If you have any suggestions you can actually go to the ASB room every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday during their 0 period. Approach the open door instead of expressing your opinions that won’t get anywhere.