Pass on the MoviePass

Pass on the MoviePass

Reporter Katty Gallegos shows what her MoviePass looks like in front of Godinez Fundamental High School on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018.

Christopher Cornejo

Christopher Cornejo

Christopher Cornejo

Katty Gallegos, Godinez Fundamental High School, Staff Writer

Hanging out with friends can quickly get expensive.

So what if there was a subscription that allowed you to watch unlimited movies for a low price of $9.95 a month?

MoviePass does just that. The idea may seem too good to be true considering a movie ticket can start at $10 and up, which leaves you with no money for popcorn.  

I purchased a 12-month subscription to MoviePass on February and throughout the past several months, plenty has changed.

MoviePass has: limited the movies that are available, added fees to in-demand movies, banned watching the same movie more than once at the theater, and now requires a picture of the movie ticket stub after each purchase.

Katty Gallegos
Ticket stubs from movies the author has seen with her MoviePass.

Can we trust MoviePass?

The plethora of changes in their policies has left their customers angry and the number of negative reviews the company has received increased drastically.  

MoviePass has recently released a lineup of movies available throughout the week in order to limit usage. Peak pricing was newly introduced which adds a fee to popular movies. The price of the fee varies, depending on the movie’s popularity but it averages out to $5.

MoviePass also wants to make sure that customers are not using their card to purchase tickets for movies that are not included in the weekly lineup. And in order to combat fraud, MoviePass now requires their customers to upload a picture of their movie stub after viewing the movie.

What a pain!

These changes come as a disappointment for people with annual subscriptions. 

Steve Pineda,  a senior at Godinez Fundamental High School, purchased a MoviePass through a Costco promotion. Costco offers their members a 12-month subscription to MoviePass for only $90. Pineda had a great experience at first but it did not last.

“All the changes in their policy have become too much,” Pineda said. He was able to see nine movies in five months with MoviePass, but now he won’t go due to the changes. “I don’t even bother to use it anymore.”   

AMC Theaters created their own program called Stubs-A-List which allows members to watch up to three movies a week for $19.95 a month. Aside from the price, the main difference between MoviePass and Stubs-A-List are the movies that the subscriptions offer.

Senior Daniel Cardenas, chose Stubs-A-List over MoviePass, “It is a better choice as it allows us to reserve seats and also lets their customers watch movies in 3D and IMAX.” With MoviePass, you can only watch standard 2D films.

Saving money is generally a plus, but are the savings worth the constant frustration with MoviePass? Spending the extra $10 may just be the way to go.

The first couple of months with MoviePass felt like a dream, but I have slowly woken up. I came to realize the subscription was in fact too good to be true and their policies are changing weekly.

MoviePass certainly allows you to save money, but is it effective? Definitely not. 

When my 12-month subscription is done, I may just have to kiss MoviePass goodbye and head on over to AMC’s websites for a deal that is free of misconceiving lies.