Pass on the MoviePass

Reporter Katty Gallegos shows what her MoviePass looks like in front of Godinez Fundamental High School on Monday, Oct. 1, 2018.

Christopher Cornejo

Christopher Cornejo

Katty Gallegos, Godinez Fundamental High School, Staff Writer

Hanging out with friends can quickly get expensive.

So what if there was a subscription that allowed you to watch unlimited movies for a low price of $9.95 a month?

MoviePass does just that. The idea may seem too good to be true considering a movie ticket can start at $10 and up, which leaves you with no money for popcorn.  

I purchased a 12-month subscription to MoviePass on February and throughout the past several months, plenty has changed.

MoviePass has: limited the movies that are available, added fees to in-demand movies, banned watching the same movie more than once at the theater, and now requires a picture of the movie ticket stub after each purchase.

Katty Gallegos
Ticket stubs from movies the author has seen with her MoviePass.

Can we trust MoviePass?

The plethora of changes in their policies has left their customers angry and the number of negative reviews the company has received increased drastically.  

MoviePass has recently released a lineup of movies available throughout the week in order to limit usage. Peak pricing was newly introduced which adds a fee to popular movies. The price of the fee varies, depending on the movie’s popularity but it averages out to $5.

MoviePass also wants to make sure that customers are not using their card to purchase tickets for movies that are not included in the weekly lineup. And in order to combat fraud, MoviePass now requires their customers to upload a picture of their movie stub after viewing the movie.

What a pain!

These changes come as a disappointment for people with annual subscriptions. 

Steve Pineda,  a senior at Godinez Fundamental High School, purchased a MoviePass through a Costco promotion. Costco offers their members a 12-month subscription to MoviePass for only $90. Pineda had a great experience at first but it did not last.

“All the changes in their policy have become too much,” Pineda said. He was able to see nine movies in five months with MoviePass, but now he won’t go due to the changes. “I don’t even bother to use it anymore.”   

AMC Theaters created their own program called Stubs-A-List which allows members to watch up to three movies a week for $19.95 a month. Aside from the price, the main difference between MoviePass and Stubs-A-List are the movies that the subscriptions offer.

Senior Daniel Cardenas, chose Stubs-A-List over MoviePass, “It is a better choice as it allows us to reserve seats and also lets their customers watch movies in 3D and IMAX.” With MoviePass, you can only watch standard 2D films.

Saving money is generally a plus, but are the savings worth the constant frustration with MoviePass? Spending the extra $10 may just be the way to go.

The first couple of months with MoviePass felt like a dream, but I have slowly woken up. I came to realize the subscription was in fact too good to be true and their policies are changing weekly.

MoviePass certainly allows you to save money, but is it effective? Definitely not. 

When my 12-month subscription is done, I may just have to kiss MoviePass goodbye and head on over to AMC’s websites for a deal that is free of misconceiving lies.

6 Responses to “Pass on the MoviePass”

1. Bianca Cardenas on October 9th, 2018 8:31 am

After reading the article, I agree the subscription that AMC offers is way better than MoviePass. With the AMC Stubs pass your experience is enhanced, especially because of the variety of options they have to choose from. AMC’ s new movie pass to the theaters is sure to attract a large throng weekly, especially because of the good movies that will be released soon. After reading this article, I also choose AMC’s new movie pass.

2. Kevin on October 9th, 2018 8:36 am

I believe that movie pass was a great deal in the past before all the changes were made. On the other hand now with all the changes it has just become a pain having to do all the requirements. In my opinion, it seems as if ¨stubs a list¨ is better than movie pass since it does not charge you any extra fees, make you take pictures of the movie stub, and limits the number of movies so that its users don’t overuse their movie pass. Next time I’ll consider buying stubs a list rather than movie pass next time that I have the choice of deciding which product is more beneficial. The movie pass is now a drudgery and I believe that there are many rudimentary people that are aware that this deal is replete with problems.

3. Daisy on October 9th, 2018 10:39 am

While reading this article I really thought that getting the MoviePass was a great deal, but as I continued reading I noticed that the people who had bought the MoviePass were struggling. The MoviePass was a struggle because they started changing the rules for it and it became more complicated to follow the rules. They then had to be more vigilant of what movies they were able to watch and take pictures of it, which was incongruous for them and difficult.

4. Andy on October 9th, 2018 12:19 pm

The MoviePass seemed like a great deal and really cool like the way there were describing in the beginning of the article. I was thinking about buying the MoviePass but reading deeper in this article made me vigilant of how there policies are and made me not want it anymore. Their policies badger me so I wouldn’t cajole anyone to buy the MoviePass.

5. Javier on October 9th, 2018 12:19 pm

In the beginning of the article it really seemed like the MoviePass was a great way to go see movies at a cheaper price. As I continued to read this article my excitement for the MoviePass became lackluster, reason being was the way it limited you on a lot of things. When I finished reading the article, I repudiated the things I said in the beginning.

6. Nayeli on October 9th, 2018 1:41 pm

When reading the article, at first I thought the MoviePass was an amazing offer but, when I realized that the MoviePass enhanced their rules from the policy. The Stubs-A List pass works more efficiently than the MoviePass because it allows you to watch movies in 3D and IMAX. The nuance from Subs A-list was well explained and a much better deal than MoviePass. The people interviewed would repudiate their MoviePass and trade it for Subs-A list.

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Aliso Niguel High School Trumps Santa Ana High School

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Making New Friends 101

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Just What I NEEDed or: How I Learned to Stop Caring and Love Social Media

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Welcome to Your Senior Year

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

48907 Protects Our Voice

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Swan Song: You Don’t Need a 4.0 to have a Memorable Experience at GFHS

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

The Gummy Bear: Final Edition

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Boy vs. Girl: Fashion Trends

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Sneaker Hype is Just That Hype

• Pass on the MoviePass

Editorials

Off Campus Lunch Should Be a Senior Privilege

Pass on the MoviePass