Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

Claire Castle in her office in the Counseling Center at Godinez Fundamental High School

Jennifer Pompa and Ashley Ortega

Jennifer Pompa and Ashley Ortega

Jennifer Pompa and Ashley Ortega

There are two major mental health issues becoming more frequent in today’s youth: anxiety and depression.

According to the New York Times, nearly one-third of adolescents and adults deal with anxiety. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that about 20 percent of all teens experience depression before they reach adulthood.

In this generation, awareness of anxiety and depression has increased greatly. Society today encourages people to become vocal, as opposed to earlier generations where people were ashamed to talk about their mental health. But where can students get help?

At Godinez, there is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Claire Castle who works for the Orange County Department of Education (OCDE). She believes anxiety comes from constant worrying due to school and the outcomes of making decisions.

She typically has a full caseload consisting of students from grade 9 through 12. “I’m really glad school-based mental health is becoming more prevalent because it’s more needed now,” Castle said.

She states that there are a lot of reasons why this generation is dealing with mental health issues. One reason being there is the pressure on this generation for success. Another is social media. The Huffington Post said, ”With adults spending on average 2.1 hours and teens 2.7 hours per day on social media, we have a growing desire to stay continually connected to what others are doing.”

Junior Gloria Bello said, “Social Media has caused low self-esteem because it promotes perfect images of girls and boys and people post the best parts of their lives.” School according to Bello has been another cause for anxiety and depression. “There’s so much stress to do your best, but we get stretched too thin with all the homework,” she said.

Other people on campus who can help students struggling with anxiety and depression are counselors. Counselor Michelle Holguin gets multiple visits a day, and at least once a week she gets a visit from someone who is really struggling. Holguin, when asked about the main cause of anxiety, said, “I would say family issues and grades.”

Castle also stated that there is a lot of pressure on our generation to get into college and succeed. With the amount of homework students have every day, and their extracurricular commitments, students become stressed due to their increased workload. According to CNN, the excessive homework load left to high school students causes high-stress levels, an unbalance in children’s lives and physical health problems like weight loss and migraines. The high stake competition to get into the “right” college also increases the pressure put on students.

Junior, Steffany Rodriguez said, “Often times people joke about depression and anxiety but this is something we shouldn’t joke about.” Steffany believes people should observe the people around them to see if they are suffering with mental health issues. She also said, “The person struggling will be the last person you expect it to be.”  

On campus, if any student needs help, counselors are free to talk. If you need further guidance you should ask to be referred to the school’s Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist.

Castle said, “Reaching out is the number one thing to do to let people know you’re struggling.”

20 Responses to “Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise”

1. Mia on October 9th, 2018 8:24 am

High school is abound with people who struggle daily with mental health issues. The stress in their heads is an incipient feeling that many don’t know how to control. This topic should be more talked about from our staff so that those who don’t read these articles can know they can get help around the school.

2. Hector on October 9th, 2018 8:24 am

After reading the article, I honestly agree with how depression and anxiety is shown, because it does give people to come up with a pretext for multiple things and not feel comfortable at times when they’re with others. Moreover, students or anybody dealing with depression or anxiety come up with ideas that may or may not be appropriate in mental and physical ways. Therefore, I support the reasoning and perceive how you guys are trying to help those in need.

3. Ebony on October 9th, 2018 8:34 am

I agree that technology is mainly the reason why people are depressed or have anxiety as it was stated above because people do mainly look at pictures and they desire to have that certain thing. People loath that the teachers don’t take it into consideration that they have another class and they get a lot of homework each day which puts a lot of pressure on them to finish it. I think it’s amazing that Godinez provides counselors to this school to talk to kids but I think they should fabricate a room that has people who actually have gone through this or even know what they are talking about.

4. Alyssa on October 9th, 2018 8:34 am

In today’s world, I do believe that it’s hard for students to cope with their feelings. It isn’t easy to open up to someone and because of that a lot of people start becoming depressed. I think that all teachers and administrators should perceive that not all their students are in a good place and that they need help. I feel like when students feel comfortable enough to talk to someone about their feelings they become vigilant of the people that they can go to for help.

5. Rachell on October 9th, 2018 8:40 am

After reading this article on anxiety and depression in high school students, I can agree with our school’s psychiatrist, Claire Castle, that us high school students tend to worry a lot about our grades and the outcomes of our decisions because we feel that we always need to do better and be perfect, in and out of school. There is nothing wrong with wanting to do better but we stress about school in an extreme manner because we believe that if we get a bad score on our exam we won’t get into the university of our dream. Some of us high school student tend to stay reticent when we don’t understand something in class because we think we will still not understand it and we also get embarrassed. I know I stress and get anxiety over school, even though I have a 4.1 GPA because I can’t help stressing over a B minus. I always do my best and stay avid to my schoolwork but sometimes I feel like it is not enough and I need to try harder and get straight A’s. I think it is eminent to seek help if you are struggling to maintain good grades, have anxiety or depression, and/or can’t control your schedule.

6. Nicholas on October 9th, 2018 8:58 am

These mental problems are truly caustic to teenagers now these days. I can connect with this because throughout my life I have met many people struggling with mental health problems due to problems at home and stress with large amounts of work at school. Teenagers have to get the kind of therapy help they need in order to live their lives without having to live with all of these problems in their lives. However, the most important thing that teens with mental health problems have is knowing that are wonderful the way they are and forget about the incipient problems that they deal with.

7. Judith Gomez on October 9th, 2018 10:42 am

As somewhat helpful as this article was I am afraid I must caustic about the wording and choice of promotion. Sure it’s great that people are finally becoming more active about the student body and it’s mental and physical health but to have just recently put out this article online is a poor desition. I do not know when Ms. Castle joined our staff but to have promoted this help a little better would be grand. Depression and anxiety is no longer a matter other people can just repudiate since it has started to become more ‘common’ in our society. Anxiety and depression hasn’t just started to rise up on the charts, it has always been on the charts, the children are not just hiding what they deal with but are ashamed of what they think they are. Put out an announcement if you really want to spread the word that there is someone out there who they can talk to about their problems and get some advice and consoling.

8. Angelica on October 9th, 2018 12:13 pm

After reading this article, I perceive why us high school students become irate with everything. We are so stuck on school we feel like there´s not much time to check up on ourselves , everything simply becomes furtive. I agree with this article because it speaks facts on how school can play a roll in anxiety and depression.

9. Natalie on October 9th, 2018 12:39 pm

Life is a cycle. In other words, as high school students, we come to school, attend our classes, do our homework, go to sleep, and repeat. However, it’s way more complicated than that. Our lives don’t only revolve around school. For example, some of us have extracurricular activities and family issues. While I don’t loathe homework, many high schoolers are steeped in assignments, projects, etc and have so little time to complete it. The majority of high schoolers work interminably to accomplish all these assignments and hope our hard work pays off. When we receive a low score on assignment we tried our best on, we doubt our intelligence and whether education is even worth it. Most of us want to get into a decent university, so when we see a C or even a B on our transcript, it leads to anxiety. On top of that, we face social challenges. For example, bullying, which leads to depression. As you can see, there are many factors that contribute to anxiety and depression in high school students.

10. Gael on October 9th, 2018 12:42 pm

Why aren’t we talking about this, anxiety and depression is something that students suffer every day. Anxiety and depression can lead to many serious problems, including suicide. I believe that this should be something that everyone should be vigilant of and know where they can get if they ever need it. Technology is another factor that can also lead someone into depression.

11. Leah Perez on October 9th, 2018 1:06 pm

After reading this article, I agree with the fact that most of us are stressed by workload and preparation for the future. Many students like myself, fabricate certain outcomes in which may occur if I fail a test or even get a B in the class. Although the key to success is hard work, older generations should be more vigilant in the expectations they have for us.

12. Leah Perez on October 9th, 2018 1:11 pm

After reading the article, I agree that we get most of our stress through our workload and expectations. I personally like to fabricate what would happen (mostly for the worse) if I would fail a test or even get a B in the class. Although the key to success is hard work, I feel like older generations should be more viligant with the expectations they put on us.

13. Briana on October 9th, 2018 1:12 pm

This article really stood out to me since I personally struggle with anxiety. I believe it’s important to spread awareness and allow people to know that it’s okay to have anxiety and/or depression. Those who struggle with mental health illnesses, not just anxiety or depression, shouldn’t feel excluded or feel like they are accosting those around them. They shouldn’t feel like they are badgering those who are willing to help such as the counselors and the school psychiatrist. From being steeped in schoolwork to trying to keep a social life is taking a toll on students.

14. Anthony Perez on October 9th, 2018 1:12 pm

Reading this article really brings me down knowing there are many people just like me out there. I really get frustrated with homework and it gives me anxiety. It sucks because I know there are many struggling from depression. I think its very crucial they seek help or guidance from a psychiatrist or counselor.

15. Lorena on October 9th, 2018 1:14 pm

After reading this article I can agree because some students get tend to keep adding and adding to their stress and it just piles up for them and after sometime they don´t know how to deal with it. This a really eminent subject to talk about because some students may not feel comfortable talking about their problems with others and try to deal with it on their own. Although, students are steeped into earning good grades and having a high GPA can cause them even more stress and depression.

16. Yuliana on October 9th, 2018 1:27 pm

This article has a very eminent message to many kids who are suffering while in high school. Often as a high schooler, I myself get told that kids my age pretext about having mental issues so that they do not have to do the same work as everybody or to gain sympathy. I am overjoyed that our high school is taking the time to have a serious discussion about this.

17. Yuliana on October 9th, 2018 1:29 pm

This article has a very eminent message to many kids who are suffering while in high school. Often as a high schooler, I myself get told that kids my age pretext about having mental issues so that they do not have to do the same work as everybody or to gain sympathy. I am overjoyed that our school is taking time to talk about such a serious topic and helping those in dire need.

18. Yuliana on October 9th, 2018 1:32 pm

This article has a very eminent message to many kids who are suffering while in high school. Often as a high schooler, I myself get told that kids my age pretext about having mental issues so that they do not have to do the same work as everybody or to gain sympathy. I am overjoyed that such a serious topic is being talked about and greatly appreciate that our school is helping those in need.

19. Lizbeth on October 9th, 2018 7:29 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Claire Castle Godinez psychiatrist on her reasoning on the increase of depression and anxiety. With the plethora of work assignment, the increasing importance of getting a higher education and competing for college scholarships leaves us overwhelmed. The new technology we are given is a major enhancement yet it can be a major source of negativity. I’m glad that it appears that some are getting necessary help for there anxiety and depression. I however disagree on watching are fellow peers in search for metal unless. Adults can not entrusted us peers to diagnosis to each other. It best to seek out a professional if the person themselves feel ill.

20. Johary on October 17th, 2018 12:57 pm

This article was well-written and helps showcase the growing trend in today’s younger generation. It is very informative and illustrates why it is important to give problematic issues more attention.

• Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

Showcase

Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

Showcase

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

Showcase

Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

Sports

A Game to Remember

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

Showcase

GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors