Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Jose Anaya, Fabian Mendoza, Hector Estrada, Bryan Valentino, and Daniel Rosete (left to right) ready for their match.

Alexandra Mares

Alexandra Mares

Alexandra Mares

Alexandra Mares, Staff Writer

On Friday, September 21, Godinez hosted the first Quiz Bowl tournament of the year. The high schools in the tournament were; Godinez, Segerstrom, Saddleback, Valley, and Santa Ana.

What is Quiz Bowl? Advisor Marie-Claire Siddall said, “Quiz Bowl is an academic trivia competition that we play with five district schools that are playing against each other.”

Advisors Siddall and Monique Statler provide a place for students to gather. “We like to host the first tournament every year and it’s going great,” said Sidall.

During Club Rush students asked if there was a Quiz Bowl table in order to sign up. “To join Quiz Bowl you just come and see Statler in her room which is 1-262 and we meet every Thursday after school,” said Sidall.

Senior Jose Anaya has been part of the Quiz Bowl team since junior year. Anaya said, “One of my teachers recommended me to join Quiz Bowl because he noticed that I knew a lot of subjects and topics that others may not know.”

Anaya enjoys being in Quiz Bowl because there is teamwork in answering a question that one single individual may not know.

The tournament took place in the theater at Godinez Fundamental High School. As Godinez faced Segerstrom, the students were prepared to take on the challenge.

As Godinez faced Santa Ana High School, during the first toss up, Santa Ana took the lead with 70 points while Godinez only had 30 points. The final score was Godinez 150 to Santa Ana 120. Godinez then went on to the semi-finals against Saddleback.

Semi-finals were tense with Godinez behind during a toss up 1 to 13. The match was severe with scores so close to each other. The final score was Godinez 125 and Saddleback 115 taking Godinez to the final round against Segerstrom.

In the final round, Godinez was down by 75 points and lost to Segerstrom during the 1 to 6 toss up. The most answered questions were by Segerstrom. The final score was Segerstrom 345 and Godinez 40. Unfortunately, Godinez lost once again leaving Segerstrom undefeated in the tournament.

After the tournament, Statler said, “I want-to point out that we lost the first round against Segerstrom, but then we won every single other round until we went back against Segerstrom.”

Students and advisors both agree that Segerstrom was one of the most difficult schools to go against. Regardless of not receiving first place, the Quiz Bowl club are ready for the next tournament and will continue to meet on Thursdays.

37 Responses to “Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves”

1. Lupita on October 9th, 2018 8:24 am

I think it is great for students to participate in the Quiz Bowl because you get to feed your voracious need for knowledge in many subjects. Many of the students that participate in the Quiz Bowl are replete with knowledge and have an opportunity to prove how smart they are. The Quiz Bowl participants are doing an amazing job taking second place in the very first tournament. I hope they beat Segerstrom next time and continue to work hard.

2. Tammy on October 9th, 2018 8:59 am

This article was very eminent because it talked about other competition besides sports. It shows the views of the coaches and students while competing and after the competitions. This was informational because it shows students what the club is about and how to join the club. My prognostication is that we will be able to win the next tournament.

3. Jennifer on October 9th, 2018 10:29 am

I think Quiz Bowl is a fun way to learn new subjects and to compete with other avid competitors. I went to a part of the Quiz Bowl and I noticed how adroit the students were at different topics. All the students were abound with different types of knowledge and that enhanced their team even more.

4. Ernie on October 9th, 2018 10:31 am

I think the Quiz Bowl is a fun activity to do and the students seemed to be steeped into this and wanted to improve to eventually defeat Segerstrom. Someone has to be intrepid to join something like this and go to the practices on Thursdays but I hope the best and hopefully we beat Segerstrom soon!

5. Paola Ramos on October 9th, 2018 10:37 am

I imagine that being in the Quiz Bowl team means you have to have a plethora of knowledge. The club is very incongruous and to other people, it may seem a bit mundane but after reading this article I find it really interesting.

6. Mercedes on October 9th, 2018 12:07 pm

It is obvious that Godinez is an eminent participant in the Quiz Bowl, although we lose to Segerstrom most of the time we go against them. I´m proud of our adroit students because they are trying their best and giving there all during the competition. Segerstrom may say they have more knowledge, but Godinez students are an avid team and have determination on their side. I hope we can end the interminable losing streak against Segerstrom next year.

7. Karla on October 9th, 2018 12:19 pm

I think Quiz Bowl is great for students because as they’re having fun their minds are being steeped with so much information about stuff they might have not known about. Quiz bowl is incipient of a new way of learning outside of school.

8. Jonathan Armenta on October 9th, 2018 1:03 pm

The quiz bowl is an amazing realm for students who excel in subjects to show their knowledge. All the students who participated are very adroit at what they’ve learned over time. Haplessly for our students, we lost to Segerstrom once again but we’ll hopefully beat them next time we face them.

9. Jude on October 9th, 2018 1:10 pm

The quiz bowl team adroitly beat almost every team during this tournament. They sadly lost to Segerstrom in the finals, but they were amazingly undefeated up until that point. I found it amazing that the quiz bowl team can find the time to go to practice every Thursday on top of homework, other clubs, and sports. I prognosticate that they all work very hard due to their busy schedules. The work they put in has inspired me to think about joining it next year.

10. Charles on October 9th, 2018 1:16 pm

Quizbowl sounds like a fun activity that can satiate our voracious desire for knowledge. This isn’t a club I would implore others to join due to the competitive nature and the drudgery of having to acquire a plethora of knowledge for the actual tournament, but the possibility of being able to bring some pride to this school by actually winning could coax some into joining.

11. Yahir Angeles on October 9th, 2018 1:28 pm

The quiz bowl is a good program for the school since it encourages students to join after-school clubs. When the students decide to join the quiz bowl they are becoming avid to showing up every Thursday after-school. Most of these students are abound with specific knowledge on topics such as sports, science, and history. Although Godinez was unable to get the results they wanted I feel as if those students who decided to join the quiz bowl dare to compete against other schools and test the knowledge they have on everything

12. Sally on October 9th, 2018 7:52 pm

I think the Quiz Bowl is a great club that gives students an opportunity to enhance their cooperative and academic skills through competition. Most can agree that competition is a clever way to motivate and implore students to gain abounds of knowledge. Some of my teachers furtively use the idea of competition to persuade students to work harder. These methods include using student ID numbers to display each student’s ranking in class or offer rewards to those with the highest grades. Congratulations to our Quiz Bowl Grizzles for getting 2nd place. Although our Grizzlies didn’t beat Segerstrom in the Quiz Bowl this time, I’m sure they’re going to try their best and ace the next competition that comes around.

13. jess on October 10th, 2018 8:28 pm

Honestly, they should be proud because of the unimaginable drudgery they endured to constantly study and be dedicated to meeting every Thursday. Through their voracious attitude for winning, the grizzlies went far. Well done. This is a club that should be recommended to students who are knowledgeable of many things. I think anybody can join, you just have to repeat things so you can remember it.

14. Kristina Benitez on October 17th, 2018 8:25 am

Quiz Bowl seems like a great and fun club for people in the club because they are provided with plenty of information. This club is a good way to learn about more subjects and compete with other schools.

15. Anthony on October 17th, 2018 9:20 am

I think the quiz bowl team is great because they show a lot of teamwork and knowledge from what they do. This club should really be spread out more for the opportunity it can give students on enhancing their cooperative skills and academic learning. This club is just simply amazing.

16. Maria Medina on October 17th, 2018 9:20 am

I think Quiz Bowl is a great way to get to learn new things about different subjects. I would recommend people, who enjoy learning new things, to join Quiz Bowl in order to express their thoughts and contribute to a team.

17. mario on October 17th, 2018 9:26 am

Think quiz bowl is a great activity to continue at school. It gives students that are very knowledgeable among many topics a chance to really test how much they really know. Good job Grizzlies for finishing strong in every round despite being down, to begin with. This shows what Godinez is all about.

18. Jonathan U. on November 14th, 2018 8:26 am

I think that the quiz bowl sounds very fun and I want to know how do these guys do all of this and still don’t end up being steeped in homework. And also how do they manage with all the drudgery that they have to go through just to be able to know all of this information that they require for the quiz bowl.

19. Elizabeth Medina on November 14th, 2018 8:28 am

I believe the Quiz Bowl is a great oppporuntity for students to get more involved within our school and challenging themselves academically as well. The quiz bowl is a club that is able to recruit members who want to be aspirant to their peers by representing Godinez, which will boost up the school spirit, instead of giving a tinge of spirit. This club allows students to challenge their academic skills by challenging them to use their knowledge and desire to learn about several different subjects. These students made an eminent impact on all our students around us because it influenced our peers of wanting to join the Quiz Bowl as well.

20. Mia on November 14th, 2018 8:29 am

I think quiz bowl is a challenging club for those who know a plethora of different topics. It gives students who are adroit at memorizing facts a chance to show off their skill and distribute their knowledge to other students. If you are someone who can stay calm under duress and has quick thinking, then Quiz Bowl might be something you would like.

21. Andrea on November 14th, 2018 8:32 am

The quiz bowl is a great way for students to learn academically and to learn about teamwork. These avid learning students studied very hard and dedicated their time to meeting up every Thursday, regardless of their busy schedules. They are also intrepid students because they challenge themselves and compete with other schools. I am sure that next year our students will be able to beat Segerstrom and will continue to represent our school well.

22. Jacky on November 14th, 2018 8:34 am

This appears to be an amazing club because it provides students with the opportunity to work alongside their classmates as well as compete with students from different schools. Students who are academically aspirant are eligible for this club since they are up for the challenge. Also, I believe the participants should be more widely recognized due to the duress they tolerate in each study sessions and in the actual competition

23. sebastian vaca on November 14th, 2018 10:48 am

The quiz bowl is very interesting because it is just a competition to see how much you know. Some of the questions are funny, others are very serious. It is very interesting because it shows how much a person can have in their head even if it is nothing about school in the slightest way

24. Claudia Velazquez on November 14th, 2018 10:54 am

In my opinion, this quiz bowl testing the minds and nerves must be voracious to the students participating. Many have to abound to help each other out, they also have to be in a constant state of being rampant so that they can continue with the activity. Although many enjoy this, this activity can be putting people duress and although they are they, they are inexorable to answer their given question.

25. Angelica on November 14th, 2018 12:08 pm

I believe this article even makes the reader tremulus knowing the fact that these kids are aspirant when it comes to the quiz bowl because you must be setting a bar high up in order to be competing with five other different high schools ,which shows what the daily life of a grizzly is like.

26. Melanie Zepeda on November 14th, 2018 12:10 pm

Our Godinez Quiz Bowl team is inexorable in the pursuit of progress and advancement of their knowledge. They are clearly aspirants of development and continue to expand their understanding of many subjects through their meetings every Thursday.

27. Daniel Gonzalez on November 14th, 2018 12:12 pm

I think that the Quiz Bowl is an awesome activity to be in because it shows how you know a lot of things. The people in quiz bowl were under a lot of duress during the tournament but with the help of their peers they made it to second place and lost to Segerstrom. The score against Segerstrom is intimidating but with a lot of practice and dedication, I hope that we can beat them next tournament. More people should sign up for this activity because it may look good on college applications.

28. Anthony Arzate on November 14th, 2018 12:13 pm

The Quiz Bowl is a very fun activity it sees a lot of fun when I was reading the article to me it seems that everyone in the SAUDS is very avid when it comes to tournaments like these because it is very interactive and delightful. Next time if it were to come to Godinez vs Segerstrom again Godinez will enhance there way to the top.

29. Michelle Ramos on November 14th, 2018 1:18 pm

Once the Quiz Bowl started the Godinez quizbowl team was pugnacious, especially once they were up against Segerstrom. I think it is important to promulgate the Quiz Bowl because few people know about it and I think that if more people knew they would be eager to go watch or even join. I also think it is important to be alacrity when going up against other schools.

30. Daniel Sevilla on November 14th, 2018 1:22 pm

It is very obvious that Godinez is a competent competitor with very avid students on the team. The plethora of knowledge required for this event is insane. Well done to the team.

31. Kevin Zuniga on November 14th, 2018 6:25 pm

In my Opinion, I believe that Quiz Bowl is a great and very interesting program since it is not specialized in one particular subject but is steeped with many subjects. It is also interesting how it is paucity on individual work but relies greatly on teamwork. I believe that the students who join this are intrepid due to the fact that they are willing to try something such as quiz bowl. Although the team lost to Segerstrom I believe they were persistently strong and did their best.

32. Marisol Ruiz on November 14th, 2018 6:30 pm

The Quiz Bowl is a very eminent way to show your knowledge and teamwork. The kids are avid about showing their knowledge and not only that but they also get to learn things they never knew whether it’s from their teammates or the other schools.

33. Daniel Sevilla on November 14th, 2018 8:57 pm

It is obvious that participating in this event is a very daunting task. Nonetheless, these very avid students have undertaken the task to become adroit competitors.

34. Zayra on November 14th, 2018 9:43 pm

The Quiz Bowl is an opportunity for adroit students to express their knowledge and possibly even enhance it. The Quiz Bowl really is an event in which students must pay attention to all the nuances of every subject to heighten their chances of earning more points. I’m proud of those students that were able to make it so far in the competition and hope that they will be able to win in future events. I know I wouldn’t be able to answer the types of questions they do, so I’m proud that they are interested in it. Overall, I’m sure Godinez will be able to beat Segerstrom and finally put an end to their winning streak.

35. Joaquin Claros on November 14th, 2018 10:57 pm

I believe that the Quiz bowl will rampantly grow due to its popularity and how you can learn about new topics while having fun. the Quiz bowl can also expand knowledge on things you already know.

36. Karen Rivas on November 15th, 2018 12:06 am

I believe it is amazing that Godinez is an eminent participant in Quiz Bowls. This club is a great opportunity for those with vast knowledge and a need to elicit more of it. Despite Godinez being behind, I believe that the club members voracious enthusiasm and passion can bring them back up. I personally would not join the club because it is very competitive and it would keep me under duress.

37. Karen Rivas on November 15th, 2018 12:15 am

Having Quiz Bowl as a club gives an opportunity for people with vast knowledge and those who want to elicit more. This club also allows Godinez to play an eminent role in education. It is amazing to me that these club members can construe many different topics and large varieties of information I personally would not join because of the voracious competitiveness, I would simply be put under a lot of duress.

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

New Teachers Land on Godinez Campus

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Memories Created by the Sound of Music

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Driving Towards a License

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Don’t Miss Out On The C.T.E Experience

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Students Rushing To Clubs

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves