Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Jose Anaya, Fabian Mendoza, Hector Estrada, Bryan Valentino, and Daniel Rosete (left to right) ready for their match.

Alexandra Mares

Alexandra Mares

Alexandra Mares, Staff Writer

On Friday, September 21, Godinez hosted the first Quiz Bowl tournament of the year. The high schools in the tournament were; Godinez, Segerstrom, Saddleback, Valley, and Santa Ana.

What is Quiz Bowl? Advisor Marie-Claire Siddall said, “Quiz Bowl is an academic trivia competition that we play with five district schools that are playing against each other.”

Advisors Siddall and Monique Statler provide a place for students to gather. “We like to host the first tournament every year and it’s going great,” said Sidall.

During Club Rush students asked if there was a Quiz Bowl table in order to sign up. “To join Quiz Bowl you just come and see Statler in her room which is 1-262 and we meet every Thursday after school,” said Sidall.

Senior Jose Anaya has been part of the Quiz Bowl team since junior year. Anaya said, “One of my teachers recommended me to join Quiz Bowl because he noticed that I knew a lot of subjects and topics that others may not know.”

Anaya enjoys being in Quiz Bowl because there is teamwork in answering a question that one single individual may not know.

The tournament took place in the theater at Godinez Fundamental High School. As Godinez faced Segerstrom, the students were prepared to take on the challenge.

As Godinez faced Santa Ana High School, during the first toss up, Santa Ana took the lead with 70 points while Godinez only had 30 points. The final score was Godinez 150 to Santa Ana 120. Godinez then went on to the semi-finals against Saddleback.

Semi-finals were tense with Godinez behind during a toss up 1 to 13. The match was severe with scores so close to each other. The final score was Godinez 125 and Saddleback 115 taking Godinez to the final round against Segerstrom.

In the final round, Godinez was down by 75 points and lost to Segerstrom during the 1 to 6 toss up. The most answered questions were by Segerstrom. The final score was Segerstrom 345 and Godinez 40. Unfortunately, Godinez lost once again leaving Segerstrom undefeated in the tournament.

After the tournament, Statler said, “I want-to point out that we lost the first round against Segerstrom, but then we won every single other round until we went back against Segerstrom.”

Students and advisors both agree that Segerstrom was one of the most difficult schools to go against. Regardless of not receiving first place, the Quiz Bowl club are ready for the next tournament and will continue to meet on Thursdays.

18 Responses to “Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves”

1. Lupita on October 9th, 2018 8:24 am

I think it is great for students to participate in the Quiz Bowl because you get to feed your voracious need for knowledge in many subjects. Many of the students that participate in the Quiz Bowl are replete with knowledge and have an opportunity to prove how smart they are. The Quiz Bowl participants are doing an amazing job taking second place in the very first tournament. I hope they beat Segerstrom next time and continue to work hard.

2. Tammy on October 9th, 2018 8:59 am

This article was very eminent because it talked about other competition besides sports. It shows the views of the coaches and students while competing and after the competitions. This was informational because it shows students what the club is about and how to join the club. My prognostication is that we will be able to win the next tournament.

3. Tammy on October 9th, 2018 9:20 am

This article was very eminent because it talked about other competition besides sports. It shows the views of the coaches and students while competing and after. This was informational because it shows students what the club is about and how to join the club. My prognostication is that we will be able to win the next tournament.

4. Jennifer on October 9th, 2018 10:29 am

I think Quiz Bowl is a fun way to learn new subjects and to compete with other avid competitors. I went to a part of the Quiz Bowl and I noticed how adroit the students were at different topics. All the students were abound with different types of knowledge and that enhanced their team even more.

5. Ernie on October 9th, 2018 10:31 am

I think the Quiz Bowl is a fun activity to do and the students seemed to be steeped into this and wanted to improve to eventually defeat Segerstrom. Someone has to be intrepid to join something like this and go to the practices on Thursdays but I hope the best and hopefully we beat Segerstrom soon!

6. Paola Ramos on October 9th, 2018 10:37 am

I imagine that being in the Quiz Bowl team means you have to have a plethora of knowledge. The club is very incongruous and to other people, it may seem a bit mundane but after reading this article I find it really interesting.

7. Mercedes on October 9th, 2018 12:07 pm

It is obvious that Godinez is an eminent participant in the Quiz Bowl, although we lose to Segerstrom most of the time we go against them. I´m proud of our adroit students because they are trying their best and giving there all during the competition. Segerstrom may say they have more knowledge, but Godinez students are an avid team and have determination on their side. I hope we can end the interminable losing streak against Segerstrom next year.

8. Karla on October 9th, 2018 12:19 pm

I think Quiz Bowl is great for students because as they’re having fun their minds are being steeped with so much information about stuff they might have not known about. Quiz bowl is incipient of a new way of learning outside of school.

9. Jonathan Armenta on October 9th, 2018 1:03 pm

The quiz bowl is an amazing realm for students who excel in subjects to show their knowledge. All the students who participated are very adroit at what they’ve learned over time. Haplessly for our students, we lost to Segerstrom once again but we’ll hopefully beat them next time we face them.

10. Jude on October 9th, 2018 1:10 pm

The quiz bowl team adroitly beat almost every team during this tournament. They sadly lost to Segerstrom in the finals, but they were amazingly undefeated up until that point. I found it amazing that the quiz bowl team can find the time to go to practice every Thursday on top of homework, other clubs, and sports. I prognosticate that they all work very hard due to their busy schedules. The work they put in has inspired me to think about joining it next year.

11. Charles on October 9th, 2018 1:16 pm

Quizbowl sounds like a fun activity that can satiate our voracious desire for knowledge. This isn’t a club I would implore others to join due to the competitive nature and the drudgery of having to acquire a plethora of knowledge for the actual tournament, but the possibility of being able to bring some pride to this school by actually winning could coax some into joining.

12. Yahir Angeles on October 9th, 2018 1:28 pm

The quiz bowl is a good program for the school since it encourages students to join after-school clubs. When the students decide to join the quiz bowl they are becoming avid to showing up every Thursday after-school. Most of these students are abound with specific knowledge on topics such as sports, science, and history. Although Godinez was unable to get the results they wanted I feel as if those students who decided to join the quiz bowl dare to compete against other schools and test the knowledge they have on everything

13. Sally on October 9th, 2018 7:52 pm

I think the Quiz Bowl is a great club that gives students an opportunity to enhance their cooperative and academic skills through competition. Most can agree that competition is a clever way to motivate and implore students to gain abounds of knowledge. Some of my teachers furtively use the idea of competition to persuade students to work harder. These methods include using student ID numbers to display each student’s ranking in class or offer rewards to those with the highest grades. Congratulations to our Quiz Bowl Grizzles for getting 2nd place. Although our Grizzlies didn’t beat Segerstrom in the Quiz Bowl this time, I’m sure they’re going to try their best and ace the next competition that comes around.

14. jess on October 10th, 2018 8:28 pm

Honestly, they should be proud because of the unimaginable drudgery they endured to constantly study and be dedicated to meeting every Thursday. Through their voracious attitude for winning, the grizzlies went far. Well done. This is a club that should be recommended to students who are knowledgeable of many things. I think anybody can join, you just have to repeat things so you can remember it.

15. Kristina Benitez on October 17th, 2018 8:25 am

Quiz Bowl seems like a great and fun club for people in the club because they are provided with plenty of information. This club is a good way to learn about more subjects and compete with other schools.

16. Anthony on October 17th, 2018 9:20 am

I think the quiz bowl team is great because they show a lot of teamwork and knowledge from what they do. This club should really be spread out more for the opportunity it can give students on enhancing their cooperative skills and academic learning. This club is just simply amazing.

17. Maria Medina on October 17th, 2018 9:20 am

I think Quiz Bowl is a great way to get to learn new things about different subjects. I would recommend people, who enjoy learning new things, to join Quiz Bowl in order to express their thoughts and contribute to a team.

18. mario on October 17th, 2018 9:26 am

Think quiz bowl is a great activity to continue at school. It gives students that are very knowledgeable among many topics a chance to really test how much they really know. Good job Grizzlies for finishing strong in every round despite being down, to begin with. This shows what Godinez is all about.

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Students Rushing To Clubs

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Students with Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Pushing Through Your Senior Year

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Assembly Introduces the Author Behind the Book NEED

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly

• Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Teachers Secret Talents Shows Passion Beyond the Classroom

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves