Students with Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School

A 2018 Chevy Sonic at Guaranty Chevrolet in Santa Ana.

Johary Mayorga

Johary Mayorga

Alondra Salgado and Johary Mayorga

Do you have perfect attendance? Then you automatically qualify for Guaranty Chevrolet’s perfect attendance contest where you could win a car at the end of the school year.

Many high school students throughout the Santa Ana Unified School District have been selected in this raffle.  If you qualify, you could potentially win the grand prize.

Rosalina Arambula, the Godinez attendance chief, is in charge of contacting students who qualify for the contest. “The district sends me a list of students who are eligible, and that is how they are selected,” explained Arambula. She described the process, “If students were here for all periods at the beginning of September all the way to May, they will be placed on that list, and good luck to everyone who is placed on the list,” said Arambula.

This contest has been going on for over 10 years, and approximately 400 to 500 students are found eligible every year. There is no need to have a high GPA or perfect grades; the only factor involved in attendance.

Chevrolet has worked with SAUSD for about 12 years. The dealership located on 17th Street near Main St. has been managed by the Hamlin family since 1976.

“Chevrolet has been located in Santa Ana since 1964 so it’s been a big part of Santa Ana, and Santa Ana has been a part of the dealership,” stated Brian Hamlin, son of the owner Darren Hamlin.

“My grandfather, the original owner, was a big believer in helping kids, and the way to help kids was getting involved with the school district,” said Hamlin. The Hamlin family have been a great part of the community not only by giving away a car but also, by creating an annual pancake breakfast for SAUSD high school athletes.

“Santa Ana School district is the only school district we work with. We’ve worked with Valley, Segerstrom, Santa Ana, Godinez, Saddleback, etc,” said Hamlin.

When explaining the process of the raffle, Hamlin said, “We draw five names of students who are eligible and we line up five cars and they are given keys, and whoever’s key turns on the vehicle is the winner. For the other four, they are given $100 in cash.”

“Every year the car changes,” commented Hamlin.

For the past few years, the contest has remained consistent with the prize being a Chevy Sonic. “It’s a great car for a high school kid.”

In terms of what the company gains from the raffle, Brian Hamlin stated, “The most rewarding part is seeing someone win and watching the kid and their parents get excited.”

The contest provides students with a great opportunity that could change their lives. While it is not an easy task to be at school every day of the year, it is important that students put in an effort.

Make every day count, Grizzlies. Good luck to everyone in the contest.

23 Responses to “Students with Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School”

1. Jazzlyn on October 9th, 2018 8:25 am

This raffle is mundane, they sent me a paper to enter the raffle last year but I did not have a chance to go and put it the raffle. I knew there would be a plethora of people and there would be a small chance to win the raffle.

2. Jimena Lopez on October 9th, 2018 8:33 am

It’s nice of Guaranty Chevrolet to reward students who steep themselves in school by gifting them with a vehicle to enhance their day to day life. Being at school can be a drudgery many times so those lucky to be rewarded very well deserve it. There must be a plethora of avid students who are hapless of not winning, luckily Godinez Students are acknowledged with a small prize by the end of the school year.

3. Gabriel Mendiola on October 9th, 2018 8:34 am

The idea of giving students a chance to win a car is very cajoling for students. Some students don’t have the money to afford a car so the opportunity of getting a car is eminent to them, even though its a 1 out of 450 chance. This event also makes students who are interested in winning a car come to school and learn every day. The process of this event is very simple too, out of the approximate, 450 students five are chosen. Each is given a key, 1 out of the 5 key will turn on one of the five cars lined up in front of them. For those four who were hapless, they are given $100.

4. jenny on October 9th, 2018 8:37 am

After reading the article, I think it is a good idea that they are giving away a brand new car to a student who has perfect attendance. It makes them feel eminent because they are being chosen to be in the raffle out of the whole school. By giving away a free car, they are showing that you can get rewarded every time you do something right. They are making other students go to school on time every day to earn a brand new car. Although some students are hapless and don’t win, it just makes them keep going and getting perfect attendance for next year.

5. Yuliana Acevedo on October 9th, 2018 9:01 am

It is so generous and kind to know that Chevrolet supports the Santa Ana Unified District. Awarding those with perfect attendance is eminent because it will cajole them to continue like that. We should appreciate Guaranty Chevrolet’s Perfect Attendance Contest for making a teenager joyous of earning a new car. It is also fair because it doesn’t depend on your grades but your perfect attendance.

6. Sophia on October 9th, 2018 10:23 am

After reading this artical, Schools With Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School gives me a good way to perceive how to give to the community. Like Darren Hamlin, he partnered up with schools like Godinez, Santa Ana, and more to give kids cars to kids who have perfect attendance. This artical inspired me to do great things because at the end its all about smiles and happiness you put on peoples faces.

7. Samantha on October 9th, 2018 10:34 am

The opportunity of winning a car can increase the attendance of students in the high school realm. It’s also a great way to cajole students into attending school and learning eminent lessons.

8. Mario Pintor on October 9th, 2018 10:35 am

The raffle is eminent as it helps students not miss school and at least have a motivation to come to school because a lot of students feel that school is mundane and that there is really no use to come to school and the raffle makes them be on time every day and to not miss a school day.

9. Claudia on October 9th, 2018 10:39 am

The voracious group of people won’t know who the lucky winner will be. In my opinion, the throng of people who are there will have to be reticent to hear who the winner of the car will be.

10. Carolina on October 9th, 2018 10:58 am

The opportunity they are giving the students from SAUSD is a great chance for them to win a new car for just showing up to school but there will be others who will believe it is mundane and not take advantage of this great chance at winning a car. it may not have many stipulations as it only asks for good attendance but it is still a required no be legible to apply. though the car dealership may not be gaining much they are giving back to the community.

11. Briana on October 9th, 2018 11:00 am

I think that this raffle is a great way to get students to stop loathing the mornings when they have to wake up for school. Perhaps, this will allow students to have a tinge of excitement about going to school and attending every period.

12. Julian Perez on October 9th, 2018 11:01 am

I loathe school, having to wake up so early and the plethora of homework. For the dupes who believe school is mundane, you can win a car so switch your perspective on school! The school system is notorious for being obsessed with student attendance; for each day a student is present, that is 200 dollars for the district. I believe this car raffle is a great idea

13. Liliana Morales on October 9th, 2018 12:38 pm

I really like how car brands are reaching out to high schools and giving students an opportunity to be able to win a car. By car brand reaching out to high schools they are enhancing the community by helping kids get from school back home. Some people might be loathes this idea because they would only be giving away one car out of 500 kids and not everyone would get one.

14. Lizette Memije on October 9th, 2018 1:12 pm

If I ever enter this raffle I would be the hapless person to win. I know I can’t stay avid to school because sometimes I get really sick or an emergency happens with my family.

15. Josue Arellano on October 9th, 2018 1:14 pm

The car may not be eminent but regardless it is a very fine prize that only a dupe would reject.

16. Angelica Hernandez on October 9th, 2018 1:14 pm

The raffle that Chevrolet fabricated with the Santa Ana School district is pretty amazing. It’s eminent that students go to school on time every day so they could feed their brain with knowledge. I would like to thank Chevrolet for being so generous to our district. Not many dealerships do this for their schools and this truly enhances the lives of others.

17. Edgar Hernandez on October 9th, 2018 1:24 pm

The perfect attendance raffle is exciting and fun because it gives you a chance to win a car for free. The raffle I feel like it’s eminent because it motivates the students to actually try and come to school. imagine If you actually win the raffle you’re going to be replete with joy because you just got a free car for going to school, personally I like the raffle and think it’s a great way to motivate the students.

18. jade on October 9th, 2018 8:56 pm

The raffle is very steeped to the whole district, It has been a huge avid to the whole Santa Ana district for more than 12 years, and the district has section a huge plethora of students to be in this raffle but sadly only one will win the car

19. Jose on October 17th, 2018 9:16 am

I believe this is a nice way of making students go to school for the whole year without missing a day. What makes it fun is that there is no grades involved but effort. A parent can drop off his child at school but the child is the one who puts in the rest of the work by attending. A car is a car, as long as it takes you from point A to point B.

20. Robert on October 17th, 2018 9:23 am

This perfect attendance raffle is at the end of the year is a great idea because it encourages students to be at school everyday and on time and then get rewarded with a chance to get a free car.

21. Patrick Quinlan on October 17th, 2018 12:58 pm

This raffle has helped improve the attendance for many of the Santa Ana District high schools mostly because many of the students in Santa Ana know they would financially incapable of buying their own car and this gives many of them a chance to earn a new car throughout the year.

22. Aasia Walwalah on October 17th, 2018 1:02 pm

After reading the article about perfect attendance, I think rewarding a student for their attendance is very encouraging. It also encourages other students to come to school every day and on time.

23. Abril Ortiz on October 17th, 2018 2:11 pm

This raffle is a great chance for students from the district who have perfect attendance to try to win a car. This might encourage other students from the district to attend school on the daily which would be great for the attendance rate for the district.

• Students with Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School

Campus News

Students Rushing To Clubs

Campus News

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Pushing Through Your Senior Year

Campus News

Assembly Introduces the Author Behind the Book NEED

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly

Campus News

Teachers Secret Talents Shows Passion Beyond the Classroom