Doing His Own Thing, Jorge Pacheco Draws it Out

From our series: Everybody has a Story

WINGED SURREAL DREAM
by Jorge Pacheco using
Graphite Pencil drawn in his Art 3, Advanced Drawing and Painting class last year.

WINGED SURREAL DREAM by Jorge Pacheco using Graphite Pencil drawn in his Art 3, Advanced Drawing and Painting class last year.

Alondra Castro

Alondra Castro

Alondra Castro, Staff Writer

“Still waters run deep,” said art teacher, Helen Seigel when asked to describe senior, Jorge Pacheco.

Between art, academics, and skateboarding at Godinez Fundamental High School, Pacheco, who is a 12th grader, has even taken up guitar and might consider making music his future.

But Pacheco really excels in art, starting from the time he was a child.

When asked what sparked his interest, Pacheco said, “I have an uncle, he’s the one that introduced me to art. He used to draw, (so) he inspired me to draw.”

His journey continued at Mendez Fundamental Middle School when he joined art class in seventh grade.

The following year Pacheco entered the Space-X Commemorative Patch Contest, a contest where students drew the design for a patch that represented a project NASA was working on.

Pacheco won the contest and received recognition from NASA.

As a freshman, Pacheco continued to pursue art and was very successful, even receiving a Legacy Award from Nancy Larragoiti, his junior year.

Throughout four years at Godinez, Pacheco has participated in the art program. Described as “super capable, talented and most importantly, humble” by Seigel, his art teacher of three years.

Seigel described him as, “T.M.H., Too Much Humble. Every day his work gets noticed. For someone like that to be humble about it, is marvelous; it makes me respect him even more.”

Christopher Cornejo
From left: Art teacher Helen Seigel, author Joelle Charbonneau and artist Jorge Pacheco, stand next to Pacheco’s school winning poster of the book NEED in Seigel’s classroom.

She doesn’t only see Pacheco as a student but as a fellow artist and trusts his creativity. She showed this when she chose Pacheco to design the promotional poster for the school-wide summer reading book, “NEED.”

Seigel knew designing that poster should be given to someone who was especially talented, committed and intelligent enough to understand depth in art.

Seigel was more than satisfied with Pacheco’s work, saying, “He blew my mind and everyone else’s.”

Being given the opportunity to design the poster for the summer reading book and the commemorative patch from NASA have not been his only accomplishments.

Pacheco’s work has been exhibited in three Congressional Art Competitions and recognized by 46th District Rep. Lou Correa.

Pacheco’s quiet work ethic,  believes he learned it from his father, especially when it comes to creativity.

“I am really thankful for my dad. He works 24/7. I never see him take a day off. Because of him, my mom doesn’t have to work, I really appreciate him.”

“He is a very quiet person but has got a very busy mind,” said Seigel when asked about Pacheco’s traits.

2015 alumni, Gonzalo Verduzco described Pacheco as, “Definitely a leader in his own world. He does not follow too many of other people’s ideas, he just kind of goes with his own flow.”

From excelling in art, to using his free time to skate, and dabble in music, Pacheco prides himself on being unique.

“I don’t really care about what people are into or what is popular. I like to do my own thing,” said Pacheco.

And that is exactly what he is doing.

4 Responses to “Doing His Own Thing, Jorge Pacheco Draws it Out”

1. Juan Mendoza on October 17th, 2018 12:54 pm

Thats we need more of

2. Celeste M on October 17th, 2018 2:03 pm

I agree with him everyone has struggles but the best thing to do is be yourself. Some people try hard to fit in when they can just be themselves but it all depends on one’s mind.

3. Jesse Ostio on October 17th, 2018 2:08 pm

Very well written article and telling us about Jorge

4. Amanda Mendoza on October 18th, 2018 10:58 am

For someone who is so reticent, Jorge Pacheco is very artistically outspoken. Tangibly his artwork is breath-taking and eminent. It’s also impressive that he is a musician in the making and is self- taught. I can see him going far in life.

• Doing His Own Thing, Jorge Pacheco Draws it Out

Features

Club Beat: TAG Club

Features

Everybody Has A Story: Esmeralda Rivera

Features

Thanks for the Memories

Features

Staff Spotlight: Elvia Morales

Features

Club Beat: Color Guard

Features

Everybody has a Story: Francisco Sanchez

Features

Artists of the Month: Lexie Flores and Anthony Hill

Features

Staff Spotlight: Graciela Gonzalez

Features

Club Beat: GSA is MIA on Campus

Features

Staff Spotlight: Lori Polydoros