A Game to Remember

Alumni and varsity team united on the basketball court after game at Godinez at  9 p.m.

Aylin Camacho

Alumni and varsity team united on the basketball court after game at Godinez at 9 p.m.

Aristeo Miranda and Omar Rojas

Reunited once again for the victory, the 1st annual girls’ alumni basketball game was definitely one to remember.

The first of many anticipated games, the former basketball team went against the current varsity team, which took place on Sept. 19, 2018.

Tiana “Tee” Jones a graduate from the class of 2015 played center and power forward. She was joyful playing with her old teammates. “Playing for Godinez again was an experience, we all get along very well and the vibes will always be there,” said Jones.

Nissa Cruz, class of 2016 played post. Cruz missed the feeling of playing high school basketball. “I love it. 6th period was my favorite part of the day because of basketball. It just brings back many memories playing here again,” said Cruz.

Bridgette Madrigal, a 2010 alumni, led the girls’ varsity basketball to the school’s very first and second League Championship playing as point and shooting guard. Madrigal believes the current Girls’ Basketball team seems promising. “If they continue to play together as one team, for one purpose, they’ll get that banner,” said Madrigal

Madrigal also praised sophomore Yadira Canada who started playing basketball ten years ago when she was just five-years-old, “she looks like she’s going to be a great player,” said Madrigal.

Canada, a 10th grader, plays point guard on the current varsity team. Canada was disappointed with how the game ended. “ We did not really connect since we are pretty rusty right now and haven’t been practicing and staying conditioned,” said Canada.

Jennifer Estrella, a 12th grader, who plays post and center has a goal to improve her dribbling and shooting. As for a team “We need to work together and bond as a team so we can be comfortable on the court,” said Estrella.

AJ Alaman (Girls’ Basketball Coach) mentioned that both teams looked incredible although, the current team did seem pretty rusty. “The current team has not played together since summer but it was great seeing some of the girls I haven’t seen in years,” said Alaman.

Alaman also mentioned the game was to let the alumni know, once they graduate they are always welcomed back.

The alumni were victorious in a close match with a final score of 36-32.

6 Responses to “A Game to Remember”

1. Anonymous on October 9th, 2018 10:40 am

The basketball court is a realm where everyone could play basketball and everyone could get along. I met some of the alumni and they were so passionate about the game. Tiana Jones talk to all of the team and she said to perceive and to be adroit in the court. The day we played we felt hapless but that loss didn’t keep us down, it made us more motivated. We are going to remember this game because it made us reunite with people that graduated from 2010.

2. Marisol Ruiz on October 9th, 2018 10:58 am

This is awesome seeing the former Godinez basketball players going against the current varsity team, they all seem very avid about playing this sport, which is great to see. The former and current players are all adroit and I hope to see them continue playing.

3. Anthony Arzate on October 9th, 2018 12:14 pm

I liked that the alumni came back to play against the current varsity team because like AJ said, “once they graduate they are always welcome back”. One of the alumni was replete with joy because of there win over their current girl’s varsity basketball team and wished for them to continue on the track they were heading. Bridgette Madrigal praised the sophomore Yadira Canada because she was very adroit at playing basketball and sees big thing for her in her future if she keeps going the way she is going.

4. Robert Andaluz on October 9th, 2018 1:40 pm

This article represents the reunion of friends. Lots of former girl basketball players from Godinez in past years have stayed avid to Godinez. As the article states, “It just brings back many memories playing here again,” meaning the girls were glad to be back, it was like a walk on memory lane. The event was like a paradox between the old school vs the new school basketball players.

5. Kathy on October 17th, 2018 8:23 am

I liked this game because it was all in good fun and the alumni got to have a chance to play basketball again at their old high school. It’s like a paradox for new basketball players and the new ones. It seems like they really enjoyed the night away and it was like a good time of nostalgia.

6. Alondra Mejia on October 18th, 2018 11:53 am

Everyone played very well and all are very adroit at playing basketball. Playing with past alumni enhances their knowledge of how they used to play in high school. Overall they played very well and there is no need to be disappointed in the score because it was a close game and since they hadn’t played since the summer so they were rusty and some out of shape.

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Athletes of the Month: October

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Hispanic Heritage Month Observed Through Major League Athletes

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Friendships and Families in Volleyball

• A Game to Remember

Sports

College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Donna Tran

• A Game to Remember

Sports

Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

A Game to Remember