Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Just four months after graduating, Godinez deals with an untimely death from the class of 2018

Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Former and current Grizzlies gather on campus in the quad to remember Andrew Loera on Saturday, Aug. 25.

Chester Maharaj

Chester Maharaj

Chester Maharaj

Alondra Salgado, Staff Writer

Many of our former and current grizzlies came to campus to remember his beautiful life with a moment of silence at a candlelight vigil on Saturday, August 25.

On August 18, 2018, a Grizzly, Andrew Loera, was fatally stabbed multiple times at a street party. Loera was a good friend, brother, and son, a well known Grizzly who was in orchestra and football.

Senior Gamaliel Loera Andrew’s brother, wants his brother’s legacy to live on and remembered.

“I want people to remember my brother as a caring person who looked out for others,” said Loera.

“ I want to thank everyone and those who were his friends,’’ said Loera.

Gamaliel felt grateful when he was in the huddle before the rivalry game Godinez v.s Segerstrom began. Coaches and  Andrew’s fellow players had told him that Andrew was more than a friend; he was family.

Andrew Loera will always leave a mark in our hearts just like he did at Godinez. At the Gazette, our condolences goes out to the Loera family.

Andrew’s legacy will be forever as he brought love, laughter, and happiness to many.

If you would like to help with Andrew’s funeral costs, there is a  GoFundMe page.

https://www.gofundme.com/andrew-loera039s-funeral-expenses

19 Responses to “Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera”

1. Elizabeth on October 9th, 2018 8:22 am

Andrew Loera was an eminent Grizzly because he was a kind person with a good heart that shared his kindness throughout our school. He will be remembered and dearly missed by all his classmates, friends, and family because he was an important member of our Grizzly family. I give my condolences to the Loera family for their loss of their dear loved one , but Andrew Loera legacy will live on and how he made a positive impact to our lives and to this school that will impact the future generations as well.

2. Gerardo Ramirez on October 9th, 2018 8:26 am

I did not know Andrew Loera, but by the looks of what other people have said about him, he wasn’t just a friend but most importantly family. As students and family members of Loera, we have to be intrepid for those who surround us. As we continue with our daily lives we need to perceive that he had a significant impact on our community and our school.

3. Bryan on October 9th, 2018 8:29 am

I feel bad that a past Grizzly has passed away. No one should have to endure a loss of a family member, brother, or friend. I send his family condolences for this inadvertent event that had occurred.

4. Anahi Lopez on October 9th, 2018 10:31 am

I didn’t get to meet Andrew, but from what I have heard, he was an eminent person. My cousin was his friend and she said he abounded with love, happiness, and laughter. My condolences go out to his family, who unfortunately lost their beloved one.

5. Andrea B. on October 9th, 2018 12:00 pm

Although I did not know this person, I am very sympathetic towards the loss of another grizzly. Losing a loved one can be very traumatic and I am very sorry for the friends and family who are related to Andrew Loera. It’s a saddening thought that his life was taken away at a very young age.

6. Damien on October 9th, 2018 12:14 pm

I send my condolences to the Loera family because I know that it must be tough to lose someone that you love. The throng of people that gathered around to remember Andrew showed that they really cared for him because they took time out of their day to pay their respects to him. Andrew will forever be remembered at Godinez because he had such a positive effect on people.

7. Andrea B. on October 9th, 2018 12:42 pm

Although I did not know this person, I am very sympathetic towards another Grizzly. It is very saddening that he has passed and I can not think of how people who related to Andrew Loera must feel right now. I loathe the fact his presence is no longer here with us at Godinez. All we can do now is enhance our view of this incident and move on.

8. Leslie on October 9th, 2018 1:13 pm

Although I did not know Andrew Loera as well as other individuals, I can only prognosticate that he was a very eminent figure. At the candlelight vigil, many of his friends and family spoke about the avid person he was. He excelled in both his extracurricular activities and studies, showing what a great grizzly he was. It saddens me to know that his family had to endure such a tragic loss, but it warms my heart knowing that Andrew is in good hands and that god has gained another angel.

9. Jarely Gonzalez on October 9th, 2018 1:28 pm

I knew Andrew Loera from my sister, he was always abounding with joy; the kindness that he gave out was like if he was family. I loathe the feeling of losing someone important, no one should go through the loss of a friend, brother, etc. He was an avid football player, every time I would see him at a game I always saw how hard working he was. Andrew will never be forgotten, he will always be remembered for all that he has done.

10. Ivan Rodriguez on October 17th, 2018 8:13 am

I knew him by my brother as he was my brothers friend. Very unfortunate this had to happen to grizzly. He was a great person to be with in general. Very sorry for his family and friends. He will always be remembered.

11. Ashley on October 17th, 2018 9:22 am

Andrew was such a great friend and a happy person. I remember him being so generous and just checking up on you to see if you were okay. He was never down around us always was positive and cheerful. Sometimes we would hangout in the morning with our group of friends. As far as I know we all miss him and send our condolences to his family having to endure this lost.

12. Brian Enriquez on November 14th, 2018 8:33 am

I don’t know who Andrew Loera was but by the look of all the students and staff have said about him that he was a unique person that he wasn’t a friend to them but a family. Hearing the egregious news that what happened to him in the street party they need to castigate the ones that hurt the family of Andrew Loera but not his own family but all his family from school too.

13. Arlet Hernandez on November 14th, 2018 12:12 pm

Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to meet Andrew, but I was able to get from the article and the way people spoke of him that he was an eminent person. It is always such a tragedy when one of our Grizzlies who contributed to the school has to go. I can not imagine the belligerent time Loera’s family must have felt when finding out the news. My best condolence to his family, may he rest in peace.

14. Alexander Celestino on November 14th, 2018 12:13 pm

Although I may not have known him, I feel sad for the family and what they must go through. I feel like Andrew was such an eminent person in school and the community just like everyone else should be. The hapless family is going through a tough time. I hope the family is doing well.

15. Rebecca on November 14th, 2018 12:20 pm

It is sad to hear that a fellow grizzly student, Andrew Loera had passed away. This is a very tremulous loss especially for his family and friends. I sent my prayers and condolence to his family who have to endure his loss. It shows a lot knowing people who cared for him talked about what a great avid student he was. He will always be remembered, and will rest in peace.

16. Brian Enriquez on November 14th, 2018 6:00 pm

I don’t know who Andrew Loera was but by the look of all the students and staff, he said about him that he was a unique person that he wasn’t a friend to them but a family member. Hearing the egregious news that what happened to him in the street party they need to castigate the ones that hurt the family of Andrew Loera but not only his own family but all his family from Godinez too.

17. Nathaly on November 14th, 2018 7:40 pm

The plethora of students who went to the gathering and supported the family shows how strong the grizzly family is. I didn’t know this person but he sure left a positive effect on people and people will always remember him. Andrew was an eminent person who will set a positive image for all the future grizzlies and current Grizzlies.

18. Allison Flores on November 15th, 2018 9:48 am

Although I did not know Andrew personally I still feel devastated that we lost grizzly.I heard many good things about Andrew and how of an avid person he was. Every person who went to the memorial must be deeply distraught. All of Andrewś family members need solace to get through this hard time. Andrew legacy will always be remembered and he will be in good hands with god.

19. Allison Flores on November 15th, 2018 10:55 pm

Although I did not know Andrew I feel devastated for all of his family members who are hurting. I know that a lot of teachers are distraught and It is egregious how we lost a grizzly. I send my condolences to Andrews family and his legacy will live forever.

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

First District- Wide Literary Arts Festival Coming to Godinez

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Adding New Turf to Campus was Tough but not Impossible

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

A Day in the Life of the Hardest Working Person on Campus

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

New Teachers Land on Godinez Campus

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Memories Created by the Sound of Music

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Driving Towards a License

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Don’t Miss Out On The C.T.E Experience

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Thanksgiving Food Traditions

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

I Voted

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera