Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Just four months after graduating, Godinez deals with an untimely death from the class of 2018

Former and current Grizzlies gather on campus in the quad to remember Andrew Loera on Saturday, Aug. 25.

Chester Maharaj

Chester Maharaj

Alondra Salgado, Staff Writer

Many of our former and current grizzlies came to campus to remember his beautiful life with a moment of silence at a candlelight vigil on Saturday, August 25.

On August 18, 2018, a Grizzly, Andrew Loera, was fatally stabbed multiple times at a street party. Loera was a good friend, brother, and son, a well known Grizzly who was in orchestra and football.

Senior Gamaliel Loera Andrew’s brother, wants his brother’s legacy to live on and remembered.

“I want people to remember my brother as a caring person who looked out for others,” said Loera.

“ I want to thank everyone and those who were his friends,’’ said Loera.

Gamaliel felt grateful when he was in the huddle before the rivalry game Godinez v.s Segerstrom began. Coaches and  Andrew’s fellow players had told him that Andrew was more than a friend; he was family.

Andrew Loera will always leave a mark in our hearts just like he did at Godinez. At the Gazette, our condolences goes out to the Loera family.

Andrew’s legacy will be forever as he brought love, laughter, and happiness to many.

If you would like to help with Andrew’s funeral costs, there is a  GoFundMe page.

https://www.gofundme.com/andrew-loera039s-funeral-expenses

11 Responses to “Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera”

1. Elizabeth on October 9th, 2018 8:22 am

Andrew Loera was an eminent Grizzly because he was a kind person with a good heart that shared his kindness throughout our school. He will be remembered and dearly missed by all his classmates, friends, and family because he was an important member of our Grizzly family. I give my condolences to the Loera family for their loss of their dear loved one , but Andrew Loera legacy will live on and how he made a positive impact to our lives and to this school that will impact the future generations as well.

2. Gerardo Ramirez on October 9th, 2018 8:26 am

I did not know Andrew Loera, but by the looks of what other people have said about him, he wasn’t just a friend but most importantly family. As students and family members of Loera, we have to be intrepid for those who surround us. As we continue with our daily lives we need to perceive that he had a significant impact on our community and our school.

3. Bryan on October 9th, 2018 8:29 am

I feel bad that a past Grizzly has passed away. No one should have to endure a loss of a family member, brother, or friend. I send his family condolences for this inadvertent event that had occurred.

4. Anahi Lopez on October 9th, 2018 10:31 am

I didn’t get to meet Andrew, but from what I have heard, he was an eminent person. My cousin was his friend and she said he abounded with love, happiness, and laughter. My condolences go out to his family, who unfortunately lost their beloved one.

5. Andrea B. on October 9th, 2018 12:00 pm

Although I did not know this person, I am very sympathetic towards the loss of another grizzly. Losing a loved one can be very traumatic and I am very sorry for the friends and family who are related to Andrew Loera. It’s a saddening thought that his life was taken away at a very young age.

6. Damien on October 9th, 2018 12:14 pm

I send my condolences to the Loera family because I know that it must be tough to lose someone that you love. The throng of people that gathered around to remember Andrew showed that they really cared for him because they took time out of their day to pay their respects to him. Andrew will forever be remembered at Godinez because he had such a positive effect on people.

7. Andrea B. on October 9th, 2018 12:42 pm

Although I did not know this person, I am very sympathetic towards another Grizzly. It is very saddening that he has passed and I can not think of how people who related to Andrew Loera must feel right now. I loathe the fact his presence is no longer here with us at Godinez. All we can do now is enhance our view of this incident and move on.

8. Leslie on October 9th, 2018 1:13 pm

Although I did not know Andrew Loera as well as other individuals, I can only prognosticate that he was a very eminent figure. At the candlelight vigil, many of his friends and family spoke about the avid person he was. He excelled in both his extracurricular activities and studies, showing what a great grizzly he was. It saddens me to know that his family had to endure such a tragic loss, but it warms my heart knowing that Andrew is in good hands and that god has gained another angel.

9. Jarely Gonzalez on October 9th, 2018 1:28 pm

I knew Andrew Loera from my sister, he was always abounding with joy; the kindness that he gave out was like if he was family. I loathe the feeling of losing someone important, no one should go through the loss of a friend, brother, etc. He was an avid football player, every time I would see him at a game I always saw how hard working he was. Andrew will never be forgotten, he will always be remembered for all that he has done.

10. Ivan Rodriguez on October 17th, 2018 8:13 am

I knew him by my brother as he was my brothers friend. Very unfortunate this had to happen to grizzly. He was a great person to be with in general. Very sorry for his family and friends. He will always be remembered.

11. Ashley on October 17th, 2018 9:22 am

Andrew was such a great friend and a happy person. I remember him being so generous and just checking up on you to see if you were okay. He was never down around us always was positive and cheerful. Sometimes we would hangout in the morning with our group of friends. As far as I know we all miss him and send our condolences to his family having to endure this lost.

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Students Rushing To Clubs

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Students with Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Pushing Through Your Senior Year

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Assembly Introduces the Author Behind the Book NEED

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly

• Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Teachers Secret Talents Shows Passion Beyond the Classroom

Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera