Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

Aristeo Miranda, Godinez Fundamental High School, Staff Writer

If this was a movie, Godinez would have won.

But Godinez lost once again. They have only beaten Segerstrom High School, their rivals, once in the past ten years.

But this game was different. It was dedicated to Andrew Loera, a teammate and recent graduate (class of 2018), who was stabbed at a party and passed away on Saturday, August 18, 2018.

Sadly, Godinez could not get the win and lost with the final score of 55-0 to Segerstrom.

The game was not close at all as Segerstrom was the better team that night. Godinez was weak in their defense and did not perform well including their offense failing to get at least one touchdown.

Axel Gonzalez, a senior who plays defensive tackle, was upset he did not get to play his last rivalry game due to an injury.

“It felt horrible not contributing to my team, I wish I could have helped them,” said Gonzalez. “The rivalry game is not what we expected, I think we could have planned things a bit different,” he concluded.

Irving Alvarado, a senior who plays offensive tackle and defensive tackle, was also upset of losing his final rivalry game.

“I feel disappointed since it was my last year but I know that we left it all on the field,” said Alvarado. “Something I feel we could have done differently is not overthinking at the beginning of the game,” said Alvarado.

Godinez recently lost their star player Patrick McMorris who left to play at Santa Ana High School. Would McMorris have made a difference? That is the question with no definitive answer.

“When Patrick left we were in shock, we relied on him for everything but it did help (us) develop more as a team,” said Gonzalez.

“I think Patrick could have made a difference in the game but it is a team sport so I don’t know if the outcome would have been different,” said Alvarado.

Mario Lopez, a senior also believes Patrick could have made a difference. Lopez said, “I feel that Patrick could have made an impact because of what a great player he is but the game isn’t just about one player.”

Lopez believes it has been hard to find what’s best for the team since the departure of a specific player. However, for Lopez, it’s just another game. “It is a bad feeling we lost, but at the end of the day, it’s just another game and in all my years that’s the way I always treated it.”

Win or lose, the team is proud and hopeful. The fans enjoyed themselves and had a good time watching the game regardless of the final score.

The following week, on August 31, Godinez beat Portola High School with the final score 28-22.

But against Rancho Alamitos High School last Friday, Sept. 14, the score was 29-0 Rancho. Setting Godinez up for a challenging season ahead with 1-3 games tally so far this season. 

7 Responses to “Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez”

1. Hector on October 9th, 2018 8:34 am

The Godinez football team has put in a lot of work this entire year. The article was well written about the team and gave a lot of depth of how the players felt during the game and after the game. For one of the pictures the description was wrong because they put the wrong name of the coach and called the players linemen when they were not.

2. Brian on October 9th, 2018 9:01 am

After reading the article, I believe that the Varsity Football team tried their best on the field and are dedicating this to the lost players. I perceive that they become more than players they became as a family or as brothers throughout the season. Many students see that this year football team “sucks” or they are not getting better” they all see the scoreboard but don’t see how they put in the work in each game or how they have enhanced through the season.

3. Nathaly Alvarez on October 9th, 2018 10:33 am

Godinez Fundamental High School was voracious when it came to beating their rival, Segerstrom High School. Valley High school’s stadium was abound with people from both schools, although, it was eminent to many that Godinez would lose once again.

4. Estefany on October 9th, 2018 10:36 am

The Godinez vs Segerstrom rivalry game was voracious with a replete field of supporters.
    At the beginning of the game, we took a reticent moment to honor the former Godinez graduate, Andrew Loera. In my opinion, Godinez could have done better that night. Even though Godinez ended up losing to Segerstrom we all managed to have a fun night.

5. Luis on October 9th, 2018 10:59 am

This was a great game replete with the support of the fans. Even with this outcome, the team fought hard for Andrew Loera a former Grizzly football player. I abounded with support for the team throughout the game no matter the score. Good luck Grizzlies on the rest of your season.

6. Genesis on October 17th, 2018 9:21 am

Godinez always had a really competitive game against their rivals. Godinez outcome wasn’t that surprising. The team worked hard but couldn’t win the game at all. I liked that they did contribute Andrew Loera who passed away and played football for Godinez .

7. Mark Martinez on October 17th, 2018 9:55 am

After reading this article, I believe the Football Program can still wake up and turn things around next year, they have young players that can show positive things later on.They need to be more focus in the rivalry game than any other game since it’s the biggest event of the year so the fans can have more fun with a win and 10 years without a win makes the program look scare every year of Sega and many fans right know that we will loose every year against them.

• Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

Sports

Athletes of the Month for January 2019

Sports

Godinez Boys Soccer Continues to Kick the Competition

Sports

Local Santa Ana Athlete Accomplishes MLS Stardom

Sports

New Coach Dives into a Challenging Season for Girls’ Water Polo

Sports

Survival of the Fittest: Wrestling

Sports

Athletes of the Month: November 2018

Sports

Athletes of the Month: October

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

Sports

Hispanic Heritage Month Observed Through Major League Athletes

Sports

Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record