Everybody Has A Story: Esmeralda Rivera

Junior%2C+Esmeralda+Rivera%2C+gets+ready+to+watch+the+dodge+ball+tournament+for+AVID.+
Junior, Esmeralda Rivera, gets ready to watch the dodge ball tournament for AVID.

Jacqueline Pompa

Jacqueline Pompa

Jacqueline Pompa, Co-Editor in Chief

From the beginning, junior Esmeralda Rivera was forced to be a grown up way too young.

Rivera never got the chance to be a kid. “I spent my life having to grow up. So I had to be mature. Now that I have a home and family that loves me. I have more time to be a kid,” Rivera said.

Rivera struggled through life, having lost her mother at 2 from stomach cancer. “My dad took care of us and it was hard for him because there were four of us.”

For the first few years of her life, Rivera didn’t know she had no mother. “I thought my aunt was my mom, so I grew up in a normal Hispanic family in Mexico.”

When she moved with her father to the U.S., the realization of it all began to sink in. “It felt strange on Mother’s Day,” Rivera reflected. She started feeling lonely but had her father for support.

Her father worked long hours so she had to become independent on her own. Things only got worse when her father passed away from a heart attack when she was 11

“I only knew him for four years,” Rivera said. “It became challenging.” She was now aware that her parents were gone.

“It was sad knowing I no longer had parents but I still had my siblings.” Rivera is the youngest of four. Her eldest brother became out of control after her father passed away, was arrested and sentenced to juvenile hall.

“He was put into a foster home after he got out,” she said. When he was out of the system, he went to college in Arizona and is now living with their oldest sister who also moved to Arizona.

Although she hasn’t talked to her other siblings, she tries to talk and visit her second youngest sister, Stephanie. “She’s studying abroad right now in Spain,” said Rivera. They both try to visit each other as much as they can.

“After my dad passed away, I moved in with my new guardian, my sister, but that didn’t work,” Rivera said. Things with her family didn’t improve for Rivera.

Her oldest sister was abusive to her.

It was only when her teacher noticed the bruises that Rivera got help.

“At the time, I thought it was normal for a family.” With help from the teacher, Rivera was able to realize not all families were like hers.

“I moved out,” she said.

With the strength she found, she was able to contact someone for support and a new home. “I found my new guardians.” Rivera had found a new home.

“My English teachers took me in. Who are now my aunt and uncle,” Rivera said. She is currently living with them and with their help, she is able to push herself further and be a typical high school student.

With her struggles, Rivera continued to work hard in school and keep her grades up even during the lowest points.

But she has lost much confidence.

“I was bullied in middle school.”

She struggled to talk in front of large crowds and most of the other students would make fun of her for it. “Things continue popping up in my life and I continue to see myself as weak.”

“It’s hard for me to talk in front of a crowd because I have no confidence,” she said.

“I always struggled to express my thoughts so instead of actually using my voice, my writing is everything I think about.”

With a stable home and support from friends and her new family, Rivera is writing and happy.

She’ll soon be writing her own incredible story.

2 Responses to “Everybody Has A Story: Esmeralda Rivera”

1. Robert Morgan on May 23rd, 2018 8:33 am

Awesome story and great to hear the determination of students like this. Thanks for making me more thankful today

2. Esmeralda Ramirez on October 17th, 2018 9:22 am

Its great to see that even people who go through the hardest things in life and still manage to put a smile on their face. I can not imagine the pain she went through but its inspirational to see she pushed through and is succeeding.

• Everybody Has A Story: Esmeralda Rivera

Features

Club Beat: TAG Club

Features

Doing His Own Thing, Jorge Pacheco Draws it Out

Features

Thanks for the Memories

Features

Staff Spotlight: Elvia Morales

Features

Club Beat: Color Guard

Features

Everybody has a Story: Francisco Sanchez

Features

Artists of the Month: Lexie Flores and Anthony Hill

Features

Staff Spotlight: Graciela Gonzalez

Features

Club Beat: GSA is MIA on Campus

Features

Staff Spotlight: Lori Polydoros

Everybody Has A Story: Esmeralda Rivera