Staff Spotlight: Elvia Morales

Spanish+teacher+Elvia+Morales+standing+besides+her+Mexican+mosaic+tapestries.+
Spanish teacher Elvia Morales standing besides her Mexican mosaic tapestries.

Laura Horta

Laura Horta

Laura Horta, Reporter

Elvia Morales is a Spanish teacher who binds her story into teaching. And wow what a story to tell.

Morales’ goal is to inspire her students to do the best to make her students strive through rough times. She reminds her students that they can break down the barrier just like she once did in a small town called McFarland.

Morales was raised in the San Joaquin Valley, in Central California.  She worked in the fields with her family picking produce. The farmowners weren’t giving her family nor other workers fair pay. And they weren’t the only town who dealt with this problem.

At the time, many farm owners made their workers work overtime but they weren’t paid extra for their hard work. The owners took advantage of their illegal status and ignorance of the laws.

Her parents were tired of the treatment so they became representatives of McFarland Farm Workers in order to get the problem fixed. They went to meetings talking about the unfair payment situation and there they met Cesar Chavez.

Laura Horta
Elvia Morales still has her mother’s ID card and AFL-CIO ribbon from her farm worker days.

In those meetings Cesar Chavez, her parents, and other representatives organized plans to protect against their farms. Morales was 12-years-old when she participated in the farm workers strike for fair pay.

After the meetings, her family went over to Chavez’s house and the Chavez family went to their house from time to time to talk about the conflicts or just hang out. In short, they were good family friends.

As a result of her participation she learned from Chavez to stand up for what she believes in and have courage. His words to her were,” Without education we will not be able to fight.” This guided Morales to get her through school and pursue education.

After graduating high school, she moved to San Diego and went to San Diego Mesa Community College, later transferring to San Diego State University. Morales has an associates of physiology and originally wanted to pursue psychology but quit on the idea due to her parents not being able to afford financial expenses, and a requirement to get a masters in psychology in order to be employed. She then decided to become a teacher.

She got a job that’s was hiring bilingual teacher in San Diego. Morales started to teach in San Diego elementary school’s for first few years.

When she was 27-years-old teaching in San Diego, Cesar Chavez came to the city to encourage teachers to stand up against the system because they were going through the same thing as the farm workers low pay.

After the conference, she began to talk with her old friend. Morales asked Chavez if he could come to her school and talk to her students which he agreed on and talked to the whole school about his story and struggles.

When Morales married she moved to many cities, from San Diego to Riverside and presently lives in Irvine. She’s worked in many districts and has taught preschool to 12th grade.

Teaching high school especially caught her due to all the trouble students can face during their teen years. Her goal is to encourage her students to face their obstacles with no fear. She shares her past experiences to inspire her classes to seek their goals even when times are rough. After all, it is her goal to raise her students confidence level, one kid at a time.