What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

One of the many construction sites around Centennial Park.

Steve Pineda

Steve Pineda

Steve Pineda

Steve Pineda, Staff Writer

In Centennial Park, Grizzlies might have noticed all the fencing, giant cranes, and loud drilling sounds, but do they know what all this commotion is about?

The Orange County Water District, the OC’s top water distributor has decided to improve our park, alongside distributing water with the replenishment of the water basin. Replenishing the basin is essentially making sure the water  quality is sufficient, and that the water is up and running. Maintaining the quality and functions of the OCWD system ensures that our homes and even the park has safe water.

It’s confusing, how can someone make our park look any better? OCWD is fixing the inconveniences that not only us but our park visitors face. Due to the poor condition of our restrooms, OCWD are renovating the bathrooms, not by a fresh coat of paint, but by a complete renovation. The reconstruction of the restrooms as well as the creation of a changing room near the soccer field should be done by the end of summer 2018, the OCWD states in their website..

Speaking of renovation and cleanliness, the park’s water should be recycled as planned, since the OCWD’s water basin is responsible for filling the pond. Do not worry about the giant blocks of cement, they will be in the ground in the basin,

Besides big changes, come some minor ones, including repaving the roads and adding new fences. This beatification should take all of summer 2018 and winter 2018

Javier Guerrero,  a construction worker on the site, thinks this project “plays a very important in helping out Santa Ana and making sure we get what we need.” Through the constant drilling sounds, it was hard to hear Sandoval. He has much optimism about this project.

Some may complain about the noise and constant not-so pretty fences, but the water basin is a key to giving most of our city our water. OCWD provides the majority of clean water in Santa Ana, this construction is not useless. All construction should be done by the end of winter 2019.

2 Responses to “What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park”

1. Edgar Cortez on May 22nd, 2018 10:02 am

Always great to see the city cleaning up. Now I can add one more thing I am looking forward to in my Junior/Senior year. I’m really hopeful that the end result is something that will make our school look better and make the students feel better. I can concur that these actions are much needed in our community, and I am grateful that the city is taking its time to serve our community in this way.

2. Christian Vera on May 23rd, 2018 2:23 pm

I have been living in the city of Santa Ana for a total of 16 years now and the quality of the park has not gotten any better over time. The quality of the water, animal life, plant life, restrooms, and playground has always been a concern of the people and being the main park of Santa Ana, I feel like we have standards that have to be met. To me, looks don’t always matter, but in this case, they do and the quality of the park has gotten worse. Just knowing that the city is making an effort to renovate the park, excites me as well as reassures me that the beauty of the park will be once again renewed. I hope that Santa Ana will become a much cleaner and safer place to live in.

• What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

Showcase

Changes for a Family

Showcase

The Interview of Our Lives for the American Dream

Showcase

2018 Midterm Election

Showcase

Cans to Aid a Cause

Gallery

Thanksgiving Food Traditions

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

Showcase

GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors