Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Raul Saldana and Eduardo Rosas

Fortnite Battle Royale is not only the most popular game in 2018, it is also winning the heart of young men, leaving girls out of the picture. Fortnite follows the style of other battle royals: 100 players dropping from a flying bus, looting for weapons or armor. Over time, the game’s safe zone will decrease in size, forcing the remaining players to battle, and the main objective being the last player (squad) standing taking the “dub.”

But the main difference Fortnite has from other battle royales is its crafting system. All objects on the map can be destroyed for resources (wood, brick, and steel) which can then be crafted into walls, stairs, roofs, and floors. The crafting system is mainly used to protect the player from gunfire, or as an obstacle for opponents.

Around 10 million people have downloaded the game on console as of October 11, 2017. The game reached these numbers in a matter of two weeks. The game has also made its money off of microtransactions.

Shortly after it’s release on July 25, 2017, its popularity spread quickly, eventually reaching our very own campus. We asked Junior, Maria Benitez if she felt that Fortnite was replacing her and she said, “Well, it sometimes bothers me when I notice that Byron’s playing, but it hasn’t necessarily affected my relationship. My boyfriend has been playing the game for about two months and spends 12 to 20 hours a week playing. Even though I haven’t really had many problems with my boyfriend and Fortnite, there is a lack of attention on me when he plays.”

We then asked junior, Fabian Mendoza and he said the following: “I love the game, in fact, I spend so much time playing it, that it was the main reason my last relationship ended, to me it’s more than a game it’s a lifestyle.”  

27 Responses to “Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?”

1. Edwin Ruiz on March 29th, 2018 10:36 am

This is so true fortnite just breaks my heart at the moment when I loose my heart but I know its my fault and get back at it unlike an girl when they break your heart you cant forgive it because she will keep breaking your heart.

[Reply]

2. Francisco Sanchez on March 29th, 2018 1:13 pm

Just play H1Z1 darn it. It’s free to play too!

[Reply]

3. Francisco Sanchez on March 29th, 2018 1:15 pm

Good game though.

[Reply]

4. Jose Serrano on March 30th, 2018 8:20 am

Although these girls may seem implacable, they need to chill because Fortnite is just a game and is no actual threat of them being replaced by a video game. I would understand why it would accost these girls since they are lacking attention, but I doubt a guy would choose a video game over their girlfriend.

[Reply]

5. R. Morgan on March 30th, 2018 8:20 am

Spring break will be a week where I don’t have to tell the “boys” to stop playing this new game. I guess I will need to try it. If you can’t beat them…join them.

[Reply]

6. Roberto Arzate on March 30th, 2018 8:24 am

Fortnite makes me happier than any girl could. Fortnite should be the prom theme.

[Reply]

7. Kennia Flores on March 30th, 2018 8:32 am

I do agree that Fortnite being so popular can take time away from people, but I don’t think it should be an issue over choosing the game or a girl. People should remember that video games are not for males only. Personally, several of my female friends and I play Fortnite since it really is fun. I understand the consternation girlfriends feel when they’re boyfrineds don’t text because they’re playing the game, but I think if they gave the game a try it could be a fun way to interact with their boyfriends. It is addicting though but it’s pretty much a distraction to everything else around you, not just your significant other.

[Reply]

8. Rikki Pena on March 30th, 2018 9:04 am

So where are we landing boys? Tilted?

[Reply]

9. R. Morgan on March 30th, 2018 9:06 am

I have been told to get the Golden Scar gun. Is this the correct gun…or should I pay attention to my wife.

[Reply]

adviser Reply:

Always listen to Mrs. Morgan. She’s a wise woman.

[Reply]

Jeffrey Marin Reply:

truu

[Reply]

10. Edgar Cortez on March 30th, 2018 9:11 am

I mean, if a girl leaves you based on playing a single video game, that really speaks a lot about how much she values the relationship. If you can’t beat them, join them! There’s nothing wrong with girls playing video games, so why not join them in-game? A relationship that’s strong enough can adapt to anything, and video games are the perfect place to spend time together! Fortnite is very addictive and you don’t need to be an extremely amazing player dropping at Tilted Towers every game to be good at it! Anyone can learn how to play, and imagine how “goals af” it would be if you got a “dub” with that special someone! Couples should see it as an opportunity, not an obstacle.

[Reply]

11. Kevin Mole on March 30th, 2018 9:11 am

Minecraft is better Instead of the girls leaving you The girls come to you.

[Reply]

12. Jesse Mccree on March 30th, 2018 9:26 am

MAnnnnnnn Just play Minecraft instead of the girls leaving you the girls come to you!

[Reply]

13. Aaron Santibanez on March 30th, 2018 9:32 am

This game is taking over people’s lives. This is the most entertaining, interminable game ever! When playing this game you have to be fertive because one wrong move and you’re a dead man. This also takes skill to play and which is why I am a god at this game averaging 8 kills a game. I guess you can say there are many adroit people that play but the best ones are on pc. When at the end of a game and its a 1v1 your adrenaline starts pumping and you are super tremulous because its you or them. You always got to be pugnacious to win and never be defeated. Girls do become stressed over this and it’s funny. As when playing, girl’s are always badgering you and it’s like yoooooooo calm down I’m playing with my bros.

[Reply]

14. Maria Nieto on March 30th, 2018 9:51 am

It’s hapless to hear that Fortnite is replacing communication between peers or relationships. It has been an obsession over most teens at our school. I personally would like to watch a game to see why it’s so addicting but one shouldn’t spend so much time on something that is not reality.

[Reply]

15. Frankie Castelan on March 30th, 2018 10:57 am

This is the most entertaining, addicting, and interminable game. This game has been growing since it came out and it has been spreading the past months and really taking over. For me, my relationship with Fortnite and my relationship with my girl is impunity because she is cool with these types of games and for us we elicit it. But it’s really replacing girls since it came out and not really paying attention to them and fray in many relationships as they think that they don’t care anymore.

[Reply]

16. Jonathan Uriostegui on March 30th, 2018 11:04 am

I agree that Fortnite is taking over the gaming community. It is funny how when someone kills you in the game they scoff you by dancing. Many of my friend with girlfriends say they reply slowly to their girl because they were playing Fortnite. Ever since Fortnite updated the map plenty more people have been playing and more people have landed in the realm named Tillted Towers. The players that are eminent to the game are the ones mostly to put up a challenge or to get a victory royal.

[Reply]

17. Urieth Sanchez on March 30th, 2018 11:23 am

I never knew Fortnite be replacing my girl last time I checked she still made of bones and meat, not plastic. Anyways only boys play Fortnite real men play Barbie Dream House.

[Reply]

18. Bryan Barranon on March 30th, 2018 11:26 am

Fortnite is a good game it can get kinda boring after a while. While this game sometimes does take up a lot of my time there isn’t an issue where it’s replaced my significant other.

[Reply]

19. Jose Chavez on March 30th, 2018 11:28 am

Trueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Reply]

20. Daniel Bolanos on March 30th, 2018 12:11 pm

fortnite is a rip off of pubg and pubg is a rip off of hunger games and hunger games is a rip off of battle royal and battle royal is a rip off of life
    there for fortnite is life

[Reply]

21. Jazmin Alfaro on March 30th, 2018 12:14 pm

I do believe that fortnite is replacing girls which is sad sorta

[Reply]

22. Jacquelyn Carrera on March 30th, 2018 1:19 pm

The video game Fortnite has caused many difficulties in relationships and that is one of the reasons why they end. Fortnite is now an obsession for many people, for example, guys. I believe the game is also damaging peoples heads in the use of guns by having to take over peoples lives. Yes, this game is very interesting and entertaining but depending on the people’s point of view it can also be very dangerous. Yes, maybe the game isn’t the problem but yes that is one of the causes why peoples grades in school have decreased and how people kill others like the incident of the felon who shot up a school.

[Reply]

Francisco Sanchez Reply:

Its a video game. No one becomes violent because of video games. Its fake, not real. Its a fun survival game that takes away the horror of Battle Royale, and throws in cartoony graphics. No one becomes violent just because they played violent video games. I mean look at the playerbase for CSGO. Grade decrease is just irresponsibility lol

[Reply]

23. Juan Avendano on April 10th, 2018 10:15 am

Fortnite I do play the Game and I have to admit that it is very addicting I never would ha thought I would have been addicting to it but I have but I do not believe that the video game is replacing girls because I have a girlfriend and I don’t have problem because of the game I tend to respond quickly and if I do take long its because I am busy doing something else not playing Fortnite. I do not believe The game is laudable it’s just a fascinating game I still give attention to my girlfriend how can a game replace a girl? I find that very confusing I will not eschew my girlfriend because of the game that is just dumb but I will still play.

[Reply]

24. Cesar on May 24th, 2018 1:39 pm

I am an avid fan and player of Fortnite. I grind the game every single day and am starting to realize I am very passionate in it. The statement made by this article is very much true and Fortnite is replacing girls. Most of my time is invested in the game, and I believe the time was well spent. When I’m feeling down or things aren’t going so well I know I could just hop on some Fortnite to change things up. Girls in this time can not keep up with the excitement that Fortnite gives off. If Fortnite keeps on releasing amazing updates with new characters and jet packs then I am convinced that women may become extinct.

[Reply]

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Two Gals Eat: Prom Edition

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Movies to Look Forward to This Summer

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s Royal Wedding a Global Affair

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Avengers: Infinity War

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Tomb Raider

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Getting Lost “Into the Woods”

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Shows to Binge Watch during Spring Break

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Two Gals Eat: 4th Street Market place

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Grizzlies Roleplay in Playwright Festival

• Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?

Arts & Entertainment

Movie Review: Love, Simon

Is Fortnite Replacing Girls?