Volleyball Boys Set A High Standard For Their Season

Boys varsity volleyball at the last school pep rally of the year on Friday, March 23rd 2018

Mary Roman

Mary Roman

Marysol Roman, Staff Writer

It’s the season of spring sports, and boys’ volleyball is starting off their season strong. The varsity boys volleyball team is currently undefeated in their preseason with 4-0.

The boys are putting in hard work and dedication during their practices. “Never give up, don’t pout,” is the advice that head coach Johnny Sok gives his team before games and during practice.

“I expect big things this season, hopefully, to see us go a long way as we put in more work,” said Larry Perea, a senior starter on the team.

“Becoming league champs is our biggest obstacle this year,” adds senior Joshua Hernandez.

“As soon as last season ended, I started to go to the gym to workout and prepare myself for this season,” said Hernandez. “As a team, we practice on our weakness and try to perfect the little things that really come into play during the games,” adds Perea.

Despite the confidence these players have, they are a bit worried about a certain rival. “I really hope we win league champs but our biggest rival and competition is Laguna Beach High School,” states Hernandez. “Hard work and consistency is a big factor that will allow for us to make some history,” finishes Perea.

Nothing is holding back the boy’s varsity volleyball team this season. “Hopefully you see us go a long way as we put in more work, constant excellence is what we practice,” said Perea. Let’s continue to cheer on the boys as they make their way to the league.

4 Responses to “Volleyball Boys Set A High Standard For Their Season”

1. Maria Nieto on March 28th, 2018 12:06 pm

I have attended most volleyball games, mostly because my brothers are both on the varsity team and are starters, and have seen how hard the boys have worked. I, as witness, can say that the boys are moved with alacrity and ready to take on Laguna Beach and win league champs after starting the season undefeated.

2. R. Morgan on March 30th, 2018 11:25 am

The Volleyball team can really jump. I have heard that Cole Tran can actually jump over a tree. There is no way this team can lose if this is a correct fact.

3. Cole Tran on March 30th, 2018 11:30 am

I personally think that this has been one of the best seasons that the boy’s volleyball program has had in the history of the school. We currently have a 10-1 record and we plan to fight for the title of league champs against Laguna Beach.

4. Zabdiel Risnueno on April 10th, 2018 10:31 am

The boys from the varsity team are outstanding, these boys are replete with energy. These boys have been going at it since day one, they never get tired and they never quit. As a witness of the boys at their games, I can say that further in the season these boys have a chance of reaching CIF.

• Volleyball Boys Set A High Standard For Their Season

Sports

Hispanic Heritage Month Observed Through Major League Athletes

Sports

Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

Sports

Friendships and Families in Volleyball

Sports

College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Donna Tran

Sports

A Game to Remember

Sports

Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

Sports

Athletes of the Month: May

Sports

Athletes of the Month: April