Club Beat: GSA is MIA on Campus

Citlali Ruiz, Staff Writer

“Where has GSA gone?” This has been one of the biggest questions for many students who were part of the club in past years. Ex-members have been feeling and left out of a club that makes them feel safe.

Junior Thalia Gonzalez, a former member, has very strong feelings on how the club was organized. She said, “It’s bad, I’m disappointed at the administration for not being supportive and organized.”

Gonzalez wants to bring the club back. She hopes GSA will return her senior year as she hopes to make other students feel safe. One former student who prefers to remain anonymous said, “It really sucks to come to school knowing you don’t feel safe, having to hear slurs from classmates. I have no place, I don’t feel safe.”

Last year teacher and advisor Maria Bondoc left Godinez, and she left GSA to a former grizzly. After interviewing five students most of them did not know who was the president.

GSA members have blamed the former president and advisor for the lack of training and keeping up to date with members. “Where did the trainings go?. All the events that we had planned.”, Gonzalez keeps asking herself.

Senior, Jose Cortez, expressed how this has been a challenge for him, “It makes me feel annoyed, people don’t feel safe. They don’t have a place where they can talk about problems that we are facing, we hear f**** everyday, how is this making us feel safe?” Cortez hopes that administration or whoever is in charge of the clubs starts making some changes.

“It’s time to make a change, we need to start asking instead of sitting in silence. We need a safe place for us.” Cortez says.

According to AVID and ASB advisor, Daniel Tena has a different perspective of the situation, “If students want to create a club they must first look for an advisor and then pick up a form in the ASB room and fill it out, simple as that.”

A student who also wants to be unnamed reacts to what Tena had to say, “I agree with him, if students want change they have to take leadership, but I also disagree, if the ASB advisor does not see any organizing from the former advisor or president shouldn’t they hold them down and question them about next year’s plans?”  

Freshman Angelica Quintana is ready to make those moves, “I’m ready to make this happen, I want to make a safe zone for all students who find themselves lost.”

Quintana hopes to start GSA next year as a sophomore but in the meantime she really wants to find ways to keep GSA going.