GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

The cardio room, located on the first floor of building two, now sits empty.

Ricardo Torres

Ricardo Torres

Ricardo Torres and Jose Soto

Since half of the cardio equipment doesn’t operate properly, where are students expected to exercise?

Lisa Treen, girls athletic director, plans to get the cardio room fixed but there are some obstacles in the way. Treen said, “ It’s going to be a minimum of $60,000 to get the cardio room fixed.” She wants to see upgrades in the cardio room because there are many sports that rely on it. “My two main priorities is to get the weight room and the cardio room in working order,” said Treen. Treen mentioned that the cardio machines haven’t been repaired since the school opened in 2007 due to lack of funding.

Salvador Garcia, a senior in track, said they don’t really use the cardio room. He said they would use the cardio room before, but this season they have not really used it.

“When we used the cardio room we would take turns, and in between the workout, we would do stretches and pushups,” said Garcia.

Due to many broken machines in the cardio room, track and field have spent most of their time working out outside and when it rains, they go home rather than practice in the cardio room.

Matthew Vega, a senior in wrestling, stated that the lack of cardio machines has affected his daily workout. Vega said, “We use the cardio to cut weight, which involves us running with layers of sweaters.” Vega mentioned that cutting weight with cardio is ideal since it’s in a controlled environment. Instead of working out in the cardio room, Vega has no other choice but to exercise on the track.

After inspecting the cardio room, we noticed that half of the machines weren’t in working condition. Some sports coaches mentioned that they rarely use the cardio room. Though there are many sports who don’t use the cardio room, there are sports like wrestling and volleyball who prefer using it rather than running on the track.

Vega is upset that half of the machines don’t work because the wrestling team uses it for working out. “It’s a little upsetting that the cardio room doesn’t work, but we managed to find other alternatives,” said Vega. In some instances, Vega and his friend take turns using the cardio machines such as the treadmill. Vega added, “We are hoping that the treadmills get fixed in the future.”  

Jesse Church, the principal, stated that he is just being informed that the cardio machines don’t work. Church said, “I’m debating whether to invest in fixing the cardio room or repurchase new cardio equipment.” Church is currently working with the city in order to gain ownership of the theater and gym. “We may be able to structure and relocate the fitness center so it could be a little more robust,” said Church.  

Church added, “If  students want the cardio room, I will fund it.”  

16 Responses to “GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out”

1. Samantha Torres on March 28th, 2018 11:31 am

I feel the cardio room is a place to workout but its more of a place for doing rehab. I am currently injured so Jason the athletics trainer sent me to the cardio room to work on my legs to strengthen them. But while i was in there i saw a teacher working out, he was “running” on the elliptical.

2. Jessica Lopez on March 30th, 2018 8:19 am

It is an alternative workout for cross-country when the heat is over 90 degrees, so we go in the cardio to get our miles in. However, it is useful as well when you can’t apply too much pressure on your legs, the cardio room is a good way to strengthen your quad muscles.

3. Kayla on March 30th, 2018 8:21 am

I am personally not an athlete, but it is drudgery for an athlete to work out in the cardio room because more than half of the machines don’t work. The athletes probably get irate because if they are sent to the cardio room, then they either have to wait until someone is done using a machine or they just don’t work out in the cardio room.

4. Samantha Valdivia on March 30th, 2018 8:25 am

Mr. Church has already improved our school by adding new pieces of art, boards, and several signs of Godinez pride. There is no doubt that he will be able and willing to get new gym equipment or fix the broken machines. As the principal, it should be his priority to give the students what they need to be successful students and athletes. This is a feasible job but it will be done.

5. Natalie on March 30th, 2018 8:25 am

Plenty of sports try using the cardio room for a workout, but it is really difficult to get in a good work out when half the machines do not work. Due to the machines not working there is an overabundance of girls when soccer goes in that have to take turns on the machines. This makes the work out a longer process. I hope at some point we are able to have all the machines going so we can all get a better work out in.

6. Natalie on March 30th, 2018 8:25 am

7. Janet Adame on March 30th, 2018 8:27 am

I am an athlete as well, but for Cross Country and Track we don’t use the cardio room. I personally think that they should repurchase equipment because there are sports that go in there to workout but half the time some people have to wait because the machines aren’t working which causes some people to be irate.

8. Brianna Flores on March 30th, 2018 9:05 am

I think it is very indigent that many sports don’t get the daily workout they need because the cardio room is not in working condition. There are many issues at this school that limit the athletes full potential. I personally didn’t know that the cardio room didn’t work well. Now that I do know, it upsets me that not only do we not have a field, pool, or tennis courts but even the resources we do have don’t work. I am happy that Mr. Church is doing something and trying to solve the issue but I think that the district should also be doing something to help the school.

9. Bianca on March 30th, 2018 9:08 am

This brings the ability to strengthen teams and individual students down not only students but also some teacher who use the cardio room. The Cardio Room has a significance to many people who attend this school. Many students are beginning to feel dubious about how Church will be able to fund and accomplish. Many questions arose when, how long, what will be done? This is a downfall not only to sports mentioned in the article above but to quell overweight other methods have to be done for many other sports as well.

10. Wendy Larios on March 30th, 2018 9:19 am

The cardio room is an important workout area for athletes and the lack of function has stopped them from using the room. This room as said in the article has not been enhanced or checked on since it opened and things get broken. It is not good that the athletes who exercise outside should lose their daily workout because of the weather. However, it is good that the principal and the athletic director are both looking into this and coming to an agreement, they are not going to repudiate fixing the room anymore.

11. Alejandro Izquierdo on March 30th, 2018 9:46 am

It is important for teams to have the cardio room in working order. The conditions of the machines have only exacerbated over time since the school open. Many students are stymied why the machines have been not fixed since it has been a long time. Mr. Church said that he was not cognizant of the conditions of the machines. Mr. Church should fix the machines that are broken, if they are repairable, and buy new equipment for other sports that need things.

12. Jonathan Rodriguez on March 30th, 2018 10:02 am

Well Godinez hasn’t took enough time to disparage in sports facilities which doesn’t make us as great as we could be.Now that our cardio room doesn’t work properly we well exacerbate our school even without being affluent we need to eschew these malfunctions more often. This struggles make our sports weaker as we can become an implacable school .

13. Giovanni Agustin on March 30th, 2018 10:11 am

I have only been in the cardio room 3 times this year and each time was worse than the last. Machines stop working and we couldn’t work out. During Cross country when it was hot and dreadful we couldn’t work out because the machine didn’t work and we couldn’t fit the whole team in there. It also to small to fit all the sports because a lot of teams are wanting to use it at the same time. It is a big fiasco when two teams show up the same time and wanting to use the cardio room. So I think they should be repaired or the room to be expanded.

14. Julian Blanco on March 30th, 2018 10:18 am

I believe that Mr. Church should invest into new cardio room equipment instead of trying to fix them. I have been in the cardio room a few times and some of the machines are falling apart and other machines do not even work. I also know a lot of people in sports that loath the fact that they cannot use the cardio room. A new cardio room can help athletes when the weather is bad.

15. Fernanda Perez on April 10th, 2018 10:16 am

Mr. Church has already done more than enough in order to improve our school, he’s added new pieces of art, boards, and several signs of Godinez pride. There is no doubt that with his jurisdiction he will be able and will be willing to get new equipment for the cardio room or fix the broken machines. As the principal, I believe that it should be his job to give the students what they need in order to be successful students and athletes. Although this may be a skirmish to some, it can be done.

16. Gerardo on April 12th, 2018 1:22 pm

I concur with these students because I believe that the school should fix the cardio room because most of the sports could use it. I found it inane that the cardio machines haven’t been working well since 2007 and they haven’t done anything about it. The school needs to something about the paucity in funding so that the cardio room can be fixed and made better so all sports can use it.

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Sports

A Game to Remember

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

• GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Showcase

A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors

GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out