Disney Prices Go Up Again and Seniors aren’t Having It

Paradise Pier is being remodeled into Pixar Pier, one of the many reasons for rising ticket prices.

Photo courtesy of Disney Co.

Photo courtesy of Disney Co.

Marisol Napoles, Staff Writer

Would you still want to go if I told you that the price to join The Mickey Mouse Club is goofy expensive?

Grad Nite tickets at Disneyland have many in the senior class of Godinez agitated. Some students chose not to pay $155 for a Grad Nite ticket and miss one of the most anticipated events of the year. Many students believe that the price was set by the school, but the decision of the price came down to Disneyland itself.

On Sunday, February 11, Disney raised admission prices. Similar to high school students with Grad Nite tickets, many people were upset.

A regular 1-Day, 1-Park ticket went from $110 to $117. A regular 1-Day Parkhopper went from $165 to $187. On a peak day, tickets for one park is up from $124 to $135 and a Parkhopper ticket from $174 to $185. The cheapest annual passport worth $339 now costs $369. The price for the rest of the annual passports has gone up as well with the Disney Signature Plus Passport topping out at $1149.

As admission prices for the world’s famous theme park have gone up by as much as 18%, according to the L.A. Times, people still have to consider prices for parking, food, souvenirs, and other expenses. Disneyland has always been expensive whether you go with friends or family. The typical family of four spend on average over $500.

So why does Disneyland raise its prices?  According to L.A. Times, Disneyland is currently facing a major problem: overcrowding. This has mostly been a result of the monthly payment plan that Disney allows for its annual passes. This plan makes it super affordable for families to visit Disney but leads to a surge in visitors. The solution for Disney is to increase admission prices.

Another reason that Disneyland raises admission prices is a result of the closure of old attractions and establishment of new attractions, such as Paradise Pier being remade into Pixar Pier. Mickey’s Fun Wheel will be remodeled. A new firework show will begin in April, a new Pixar Play Parade, and the anticipated Star Wars Land will launch in 2019.

225 Grad Night tickets were sold to a senior class of 667 students. Making that a third of the senior class. Although ticket prices are high, students believe that it will be fun to go with the whole school. Others are aware of the increase in ticket prices outside of school and believe that they won’t get a cheaper price.

Senior, Crystal Rodriguez who had to buy her Grad Night ticket because her annual pass expired, shares out her thoughts on Grad Night. “I gathered my top money for two weeks in order to buy this ticket. Even though it was expensive, I still wanted to go because it’s a high school experience I wouldn’t want to miss out on.”

Jose Cortez also shared out how he felt about the ticket. “I didn’t really struggle to pay for the ticket. I just used some of my savings but I was undecided about buying the ticket or saving the money for something else. You know for food or shopping.”

At the end of the day, Disney is a huge corporation and no matter what decisions they take to ensure their success, they find it.

7 Responses to “Disney Prices Go Up Again and Seniors aren’t Having It”

1. Kelby Padilla on March 28th, 2018 11:31 am

The tickets are expensive and it’s not even the traditional Grad nite which is pernicious. I think many students should not go and just go another day with the same friends and find a cheaper price with fewer people. As well as their options are not limited, they can go where ever they please.

2. Micaela on March 30th, 2018 8:28 am

After readings this article, a source of chagrin grew within me because of how expensive Disneyland tickets have become. Many people have become irate at this news, or in this case seniors because many will be missing out on this traditional activity seniors are allowed to take part in before graduating high school. Yes, many do understand that Disneyland only did it because of valid reasons like it having an overabundance of people, but there should at least be a deal for seniors participating in Grad Nite. Disneyland should take this into consideration at least because they do know of this event that occurs every year on a certain day and time just for the seniors, which happens to be one of the most memorable moments for them before graduating.

3. Caitlyn Serrano on March 30th, 2018 9:53 am

Every time I hang out with a senior and they talk about Grad Night I can sense the alacrity coming from their voice. Some others, scoff at the idea of the prices and decide to do something way cheaper like go to Knotts or go to the block. I personally believe that if someone wants to go somewhere else, they should. I have an annual pass and so many many things are closed at the moment, I believe that going when everything is complete would be better.

4. Aline Hernandez on March 30th, 2018 10:30 am

As the tickets are becoming more expensive, there won’t be a large amount of people purchasing them. Instead of going to Disneyland with the school, students should just go any other day because most likely they were going to stay with the friends they already had planned. Either ways, someone wouldn’t like to be jostle around by others.

5. Zariah McClure on March 30th, 2018 11:06 am

For Disney to change the prices for Grad Nite is monolithic. Disney is only raising the prices because of crowd control issues and visitors from all over wanting to get into the park. I feel like they need to be able to handle that and not raise prices just because that is the best alternative for them. The seniors deserve to have a good time without worrying about money issues.

6. Natalie Barrera on March 30th, 2018 12:20 pm

I did not pay for grad nit, I decided to not go. Last years payment system was better due to the senior packet. Should’ve brought it back! Instead, we are forced to pay everything individually. I am not rich, I do not have money to pay for grad nite, as well as the yearbook, cap and gown, and prom.

7. Christian Vera on April 10th, 2018 10:30 am

Disneyland Park has always been known as “the happiest place on Earth”, however, like this year’s seniors, not too many people are content with the rise in the ticket prices for this magical place. This was an issue that many people have prognosticated for some time now and if one takes consideration the many new attractions that the park will have, one might understand as to why it was done. I agree, there has been overcrowding in the park in the previous years, however, I do not believe that it was right to raise the prices as significantly as they had done. Nonetheless, this will not stop many people from visiting this realm of happiness for many people will stay loyal and true to Disneyland.

• Disney Prices Go Up Again and Seniors aren’t Having It

Campus News

Students Rushing To Clubs

Campus News

Quiz Bowl: Testing Minds and Nerves

Campus News

Students with Perfect Attendance get a New Ride for School

Campus News

Losing One of Our Own: Andrew Loera

Campus News

Pushing Through Your Senior Year

Campus News

Assembly Introduces the Author Behind the Book NEED

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly