Not Every Athlete Has the Best Sports Season

Christopher Cornejo and Aristeo Miranda

Athletes train to be the best in competition, but injuries can have an effect on their game.

According to athletic trainer Jason Polhamus, the most common injuries are ankle sprains and stubbed fingers. When asked, ¨How often do people come in due to an injury?¨  Polhamus said, ¨I see some people almost every day and some once a year. Per team, I probably see at least 50% of a sports team at any given time during a season.¨ To prevent injuries, ¨It’s just conditioning, doing different kinds of exercises over a course of a whole year,¨ said Polhamus.

Edgar Lopez, a track & field athlete, suffered through a hamstring injury. “Instead of warming up or stretching correctly, I talk to my friends and get distracted,” said Lopez.

Not all injuries happen through not warming up correctly. Some athletes get injured by someone else or pushing too hard.

Anthony Mendoza, a track & field athlete, has pulled a quad muscle during races or practices. “I pulled my muscle by pushing myself. I believe I could have prevented this injury by not pushing myself that much,” said Mendoza.

Most injuries that cross country and track & field athletes get are: “shin splints, knee problems, and pulled muscles,” says coach Diego Rocha. Rocha believes these injuries occur because of “lack of warmup, overstressing, or pushing themselves too much.” Rocha said, “As a coach I believe I can prevent some of these injuries by talking to athletes about following daily warm up routines, recovering, and staying in soft terrain.”

Lucie Garcia, a soccer athlete, has suffered through hamstring pain. “At practice, I tried to sprint for the ball but I felt a sudden pain,” said Garcia. Every time she would run or try to play, she would just feel pain. For soccer athletes at Godinez, coaches see the most injuries with ACL injuries.

Jennifer Estrella, a basketball athlete, suffered through a rolled ankle injury. “I jumped up for a lay up and as I landed down, I landed wrong,” said Estrella. The injury did not last long, as Estrella said, “I rested for three days and went back to normal.” Estrella believes she could have prevented this injury by tying her shoes all the way to the ankle support. She was motivated to keep going and recently had a league win, 10-0.

Anakony Rosiles, a wrestler athlete, has gone through a hyperextended arm injury allowing her to not wrestle for a few weeks. “I believe I could have prevented this injury by not doing a wrong movement,” said Rosiles.

Most injuries can be prevented by stretching correctly and making sure you are not playing through any kind of pain.

To recover, it is best to get plenty of rest and stretch everyday if it is a muscle injury. Nutrition is a big factor to recovery, fuel your body with proteins needed to recover, and don’t forget to stay hydrated. Also doing short workouts or recovery workouts to strengthen the part that was injured. Start small, and work yourself back to the top.

6 Responses to “Not Every Athlete Has the Best Sports Season”

1. Alex Xhurape on February 26th, 2018 12:02 pm

Not every athlete is always going to be able to play or run perfect there is always once time there going to end up injured or hurt but there is always a disparage of people to eschew practice because they end up getting hurt.It is hard to never get injured because every sport is dangerous bad things can happened.

[Reply]

2. Zariah McClure on February 26th, 2018 12:02 pm

As an athlete at Godinez it is important to stretch very well because injuries can occur at any moment. It is also caused by perfunctory care when it comes to excising properly and having enough protein in your body. Some athletes have been inadvertent when taking care of their injuries and in the end it will end up being a big fiasco.

[Reply]

3. Giovanni Agustin on February 26th, 2018 8:33 pm

I hate having an injury during a sports season because I can’t go work out and have to rest. I have to watch other people do activities while I’m sitting there injured. I had been plagued with shin splints and those are the worst because running now becomes a burden. I think it’s me not warming up good enough and pushing myself too hard. I end up injured and in rehab trying to recover so I can start training again.

[Reply]

4. Alberto Morales on February 27th, 2018 9:30 am

This article was very well written in the sense to help young school athletes avoid injuries by providing a little bit of insight of how to prevent them. Soon, new freshmen athletes will be able to play the spot they’re passionate for. Without the knowledge of how to protect against these injuries, they may sit out a big majority of the season, if not all of it due to these injuries. It is great to know that our students won’t have to worry about injuries after reading this article rather carefully.

[Reply]

5. Damian Lizardi on February 27th, 2018 10:58 am

Due to the hard training and to the adroit skills that these kind athletes need to perform their sports, in some obvious some of these athletes tend to get injured due to the hard conditions they push their body through. In my opinion, no athlete in any sport has the perfect season because everybody has a possibility of one day getting injured. Having the equipment to successfully cure the injury is also very important and I am glad that the athletic director Jason is able to help the athletes recover.

[Reply]

6. Alberto Morales on March 30th, 2018 9:18 am

This article was well written in the sense to help young high school athletes prevent themselves from having injuries. Being presented with an unexpected injury could be very upsetting for the athlete. If the injury is severe enough it could lead to lack of motivation of the student, often leading them to not continue in the sport any further. Viewing this article has the potential of helping a plethora of these athletes succeed in what they’re passionate about.

[Reply]

• Not Every Athlete Has the Best Sports Season

Sports

Athletes of the Month: May

Sports

Athletes of the Month: April

Sports

Track Meet at Costa Mesa Adds Up to a Win

Sports

World Cup: Russia 2018

Sports

The McMorris Triple Threat

Sports

Volleyball Boys Set A High Standard For Their Season

Sports

Athletes of the Month: March

Sports

Grizzly Athletes Unify at Womens Athletic Conference

Sports

Boy’s Tennis at Love-40 with Inconvenient Facilities

Sports

What You Need to Know About the 2018 Winter Olympics