Not Every Athlete Has the Best Sports Season

Christopher Cornejo and Aristeo Miranda

Athletes train to be the best in competition, but injuries can have an effect on their game.

According to athletic trainer Jason Polhamus, the most common injuries are ankle sprains and stubbed fingers. When asked, ¨How often do people come in due to an injury?¨  Polhamus said, ¨I see some people almost every day and some once a year. Per team, I probably see at least 50% of a sports team at any given time during a season.¨ To prevent injuries, ¨It’s just conditioning, doing different kinds of exercises over a course of a whole year,¨ said Polhamus.

Edgar Lopez, a track & field athlete, suffered through a hamstring injury. “Instead of warming up or stretching correctly, I talk to my friends and get distracted,” said Lopez.

Not all injuries happen through not warming up correctly. Some athletes get injured by someone else or pushing too hard.

Anthony Mendoza, a track & field athlete, has pulled a quad muscle during races or practices. “I pulled my muscle by pushing myself. I believe I could have prevented this injury by not pushing myself that much,” said Mendoza.

Most injuries that cross country and track & field athletes get are: “shin splints, knee problems, and pulled muscles,” says coach Diego Rocha. Rocha believes these injuries occur because of “lack of warmup, overstressing, or pushing themselves too much.” Rocha said, “As a coach I believe I can prevent some of these injuries by talking to athletes about following daily warm up routines, recovering, and staying in soft terrain.”

Lucie Garcia, a soccer athlete, has suffered through hamstring pain. “At practice, I tried to sprint for the ball but I felt a sudden pain,” said Garcia. Every time she would run or try to play, she would just feel pain. For soccer athletes at Godinez, coaches see the most injuries with ACL injuries.

Jennifer Estrella, a basketball athlete, suffered through a rolled ankle injury. “I jumped up for a lay up and as I landed down, I landed wrong,” said Estrella. The injury did not last long, as Estrella said, “I rested for three days and went back to normal.” Estrella believes she could have prevented this injury by tying her shoes all the way to the ankle support. She was motivated to keep going and recently had a league win, 10-0.

Anakony Rosiles, a wrestler athlete, has gone through a hyperextended arm injury allowing her to not wrestle for a few weeks. “I believe I could have prevented this injury by not doing a wrong movement,” said Rosiles.

Most injuries can be prevented by stretching correctly and making sure you are not playing through any kind of pain.

To recover, it is best to get plenty of rest and stretch everyday if it is a muscle injury. Nutrition is a big factor to recovery, fuel your body with proteins needed to recover, and don’t forget to stay hydrated. Also doing short workouts or recovery workouts to strengthen the part that was injured. Start small, and work yourself back to the top.