The Future of DACA and TPS

A rally held in downtown Santa Ana last month for DACAs and TPS.

Citlali Ruiz

Citlali Ruiz

Citlali Ruiz, Staff Writer

As we start a new year, the future of many TPS (Temporary Protected Status) and DACA (Deferred Action for childhood arrivals)  recipients are in the hands of Congress and President Trump.

Every year, Congress must pass a federal budget. If the Senate and the House do not come to an agreement on how to fund it then they can pass a budget month by month. This is short term funding  can keep the government open until Congress finally passes a one year funding bill.

Republicans control the House of Representatives which means they can pass any bill without the Democrats vote, however in the Senate, Republicans need a superiority (60 votes) to pass a budget but they only have 51. Which means they need Democrats help.

The Senate essentially voted in December to fund the government for one month without the Dream Act. January 19, 2018, was the deadline to come to an agreement on how to fund the government.

Immigrant and TPS folks organized sit-ins to protests and a lot of actions like walking into senators office, marching into the capital, and making phone calls to their representatives in Congress targeting Senate Democrats to make sure they voted no if the Dream Act is not included. However, both parties did not come to an agreement which then lead to the government shutdown that only lasted three days.

Trump and Republicans have been making ridiculous demands to approve the Dream Act which includes border wall funding and restricting migration, including TPS folks who are escaping violence and poverty from their home countries. We know that the Democrats are desperate to pass a budget because a government shutdown means Republicans get the blame in public opinion since they control the Senate, House and Presidency.

Unfortunately, after three days of a shutdown, Democrats gave in and voted to help fund the government for two more weeks because Republicans promised they will bring the Dream Act before February 8th as a stand alone vote (not included in budget). The undocumented and TPS community  don’t trust Republicans and they know the Dream Act has less chance of passing on its own.

By February 8th, Congress cannot continue funding the U.S budget month by month. They need to pass an actual budget for one year, So we have to make sure Dream Act and TPS are included.

We encourage you or anyone you know to call to action, contact your local representatives and demand for them to have a clean Dream Act and TPS without any borders or the deportation of  thousands of TPS folks.

California Representatives:

Kamala Harris

Los Angeles, CA

(213) 894-500

Nancy Pelosi

Los Angeles, CA

(310) 914-7300

Lou Correa

Santa Ana, CA

(714) 559-6190

Maxine Waters

Los Angeles,CA

(323)757-8900

2 Responses to “The Future of DACA and TPS”

1. Francisco Sanchez on February 14th, 2018 8:53 am

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27010/watch-dreamer-thanks-trump-slams-pelosi-and-ryan-saavedra

The Democratic party uses DACA as political pawns. They really don’t care about the dreamers and are simply using their position on it to get votes. The fact that the Democrats gave up, while Trump was open to creating a path to citizenship, that would legalize 1.8 million illegals. So in short, the Democrats don’t care, unless it wins them votes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/25/politics/white-house-immigration-framework/index.html

[Reply]

2. Jazmin Pina on February 14th, 2018 9:28 am

It’s really cool that the school is staying updated with the news in support of students who are in this tough situation.

[Reply]

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Bye Bye Dessert: A Fudge of a Problem for the Cocoa Bean

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Seniors Reflect on Their Final Countdown

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Net Neutrality Explained and Why You Should Care

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Grizzlies Shine at the Annual Talent Show

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Buying Your Boo a Gift that Doesn’t Break the Bank

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Looking for Frosty Fun at the Winter Carnival

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Joy of Christmas Traditions

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Making Wishes Come True for Grizzlies at Christmas Time

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Medical Core Classes Today bring Possible Medical Careers Tomorrow

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

New Ice Rink Glides into The District at Tustin Legacy

The Future of DACA and TPS