The Future of DACA and TPS

A rally held in downtown Santa Ana last month for DACAs and TPS.

Citlali Ruiz

Citlali Ruiz

Citlali Ruiz, Staff Writer

As we start a new year, the future of many TPS (Temporary Protected Status) and DACA (Deferred Action for childhood arrivals)  recipients are in the hands of Congress and President Trump.

Every year, Congress must pass a federal budget. If the Senate and the House do not come to an agreement on how to fund it then they can pass a budget month by month. This is short term funding  can keep the government open until Congress finally passes a one year funding bill.

Republicans control the House of Representatives which means they can pass any bill without the Democrats vote, however in the Senate, Republicans need a superiority (60 votes) to pass a budget but they only have 51. Which means they need Democrats help.

The Senate essentially voted in December to fund the government for one month without the Dream Act. January 19, 2018, was the deadline to come to an agreement on how to fund the government.

Immigrant and TPS folks organized sit-ins to protests and a lot of actions like walking into senators office, marching into the capital, and making phone calls to their representatives in Congress targeting Senate Democrats to make sure they voted no if the Dream Act is not included. However, both parties did not come to an agreement which then lead to the government shutdown that only lasted three days.

Trump and Republicans have been making ridiculous demands to approve the Dream Act which includes border wall funding and restricting migration, including TPS folks who are escaping violence and poverty from their home countries. We know that the Democrats are desperate to pass a budget because a government shutdown means Republicans get the blame in public opinion since they control the Senate, House and Presidency.

Unfortunately, after three days of a shutdown, Democrats gave in and voted to help fund the government for two more weeks because Republicans promised they will bring the Dream Act before February 8th as a stand alone vote (not included in budget). The undocumented and TPS community  don’t trust Republicans and they know the Dream Act has less chance of passing on its own.

By February 8th, Congress cannot continue funding the U.S budget month by month. They need to pass an actual budget for one year, So we have to make sure Dream Act and TPS are included.

We encourage you or anyone you know to call to action, contact your local representatives and demand for them to have a clean Dream Act and TPS without any borders or the deportation of  thousands of TPS folks.

California Representatives:

Kamala Harris

Los Angeles, CA

(213) 894-500

Nancy Pelosi

Los Angeles, CA

(310) 914-7300

Lou Correa

Santa Ana, CA

(714) 559-6190

Maxine Waters

Los Angeles,CA

(323)757-8900

9 Responses to “The Future of DACA and TPS”

1. Francisco Sanchez on February 14th, 2018 8:53 am

https://www.dailywire.com/news/27010/watch-dreamer-thanks-trump-slams-pelosi-and-ryan-saavedra

The Democratic party uses DACA as political pawns. They really don’t care about the dreamers and are simply using their position on it to get votes. The fact that the Democrats gave up, while Trump was open to creating a path to citizenship, that would legalize 1.8 million illegals. So in short, the Democrats don’t care, unless it wins them votes.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/01/25/politics/white-house-immigration-framework/index.html

[Reply]

2. Jazmin Pina on February 14th, 2018 9:28 am

It’s really cool that the school is staying updated with the news in support of students who are in this tough situation.

[Reply]

3. Adriana Aguillon on February 26th, 2018 10:16 am

In my opinion, DACA is an important act that should be supported but many do not, and because of the people who don’t support many students are going to have to pay a lot. Thousands of people are stipulating the Congress and the President to take action and change the future of the throng.

[Reply]

4. Nayeli Pintor on February 26th, 2018 10:43 am

In my opinion I think it is just ridiculous that both Trump and the Congress are thinking if removing the Dream Act along with TPS. I think it is even more disappointing that our President it basically using these two important acts as a threat, Trump is trying to imply that he will pass these acts but their will be consequences coming with them. Part if this consequence includes building a wall and restricting migration. In addition, I believe that Trump and the congress are not vigilant of the huge impact that the Dream Act and TPS have on many. It is important to take action in this controversy, although it will be feasible, if everyone takes action these two major acts will be passed without a negative aftermath.

[Reply]

5. Mariana Ortiz on February 26th, 2018 11:32 am

It is amazing how the future of college students all depend on what the next move Congress and Trump do. Congress has to move very sally because the deadline of the funding is February 8, 2018 and they have to pass a bill for a budget for a whole year. Congress and Trump have to make a very deride solution that will benefit many for a whole year. Most importantly our future all depends on the Congress and Trump to make the right decision.

[Reply]

6. Daniel Sagrero on February 26th, 2018 11:59 am

I totally agree with these students, who are speaking the truth. It is such a chagrin for the nation to allow such an inexperienced man as president. The president is affluent and only disparages others of a different race,which is why I believe that everyone immigrant should get a chance for the DACA. Nothing should be taken from them.

[Reply]

7. Fatima G on February 26th, 2018 8:20 pm

I believe that we need to protect the DACA and TPS programs. Combined these programs provide relief from deportation to about one million Americans who arrived in the U.S. as children or whose countries have humanitarian catastrophes. I think that we should start focusing more on programs like these because it can become a burden for undocumented students.

[Reply]

8. Diego Sanchez on February 27th, 2018 10:50 am

I am very dubious of Democrat’s mindset and true goals for the Dreamers of America. I believe their true intentions are not as good-hearted as perceived. This entire fiasco has caused much drama within American society and has caused much division. The paucity of true action within Congress leaves me in dismay, I concur to protect those dreamers that have been here since birth and that have no say in their birthplace. However, I still believe that there should still be rampant deportation to an extent. This being only for convicted felons that contribute little to society and are only a burden.

[Reply]

9. Aileen on February 27th, 2018 10:53 am

I have also discerned that the Congress and President Trump have been talking about DACA and TPS. I have family that came from a different country as a kid and it’s a chagrin that they want to take the programs away from immigrants. I also have seen lots of people protesting for the DACA and TPS. I personally think that they should keep both DACA and TPS because these people came to a country as a kid not knowing what they’re doing. It’s an opportunity for them be in a country where there are lots of benefits.

[Reply]

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Teachers Secret Talents Shows Passion Beyond the Classroom

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Help Wanted, Young, not so Dumb, and Broke

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Two Teachers Give Their GFHS Farewells

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Prom 2018, A Lovely Night

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Apps You Should Know

• The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

The Need For Reading

The Future of DACA and TPS