Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Gustavo+Navarro+playing+defense+at+Saddleback+High+School%27s+soccer+field+in+Santa+Ana%2C+Calif.+on+Friday%2C+Feb.+2%2C+2018.+
Gustavo Navarro playing defense at Saddleback High School's soccer field in Santa Ana, Calif. on Friday, Feb. 2, 2018.

Photo courtesy of sophomore Esmeralda Matias

Kevin Ruiz, Staff Writer

After three years of being part of the Godinez soccer team, Senior Gustavo Navarro, wants to win C.I.F.

This is his first year on the Varsity soccer team, so Navarro has learned the differences being in Varsity compared to JV.  “There is more pressure on the Varsity players by the coaches,” said Navarro.

Navarro knows what pressure feels like. At a very young age, Navarro was motivated by his father to play soccer, he remembers “wanting to be like my dad, he would take me to his games and I would watch him play. That is what encouraged me.”

Fernando Navarro, Gustavo’s father, knows what his son is capable of on the soccer field. “He doesn’t stop fighting until the final whistle no matter what the score is,”  said Fernando.

Navarro has been playing soccer since the age of ten. After acquiring a spot on the junior varsity team sophomore year, Navarro had some tough challenges to face. “The hardest part of being on the soccer team, is trying to live up to the same expectations as the year before,” Navarro said. “The toughest opponent I faced was Santa Ana High School because their players are good and tough. They were prepared and it was just a difficult game.”

Navarro said that the best part of being on the soccer team is, “The support that you get from the other players. It is a great experience and the players here make it fun.” Navarro added, “It’s made me look forward coming to school everyday to be able to play the game I love.”

Navarro knows what his soccer coaches expect. “The coaches are very supportive for their players to improve your soccer abilities. Especially during games, the coaches will motivate you to improve and tell you what to do. Overall, they are very supportive.”

Ruben Fernandez, varsity coach soccer team, commented on Navarro’s attributes in soccer, “He is very responsible and always open to coaching and to improving. He is dedicated, listens and follows directions, and he always wants to learn.”

That’s important for Navarro to keep improving. After watching varsity win CIF and become Division 2 champions, he wants his turn at getting a CIF ring.

2 Responses to “Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro”

1. R. Morgan on February 14th, 2018 8:24 am

I like the comment from the father. Well written

[Reply]

2. Gloria Mosdri on February 26th, 2018 12:25 pm

My opinion is that Gustavo Navarro is doing an amazing job putting in all his effort for the three years that he has been in soccer and now putting in his effort to try to sally towards getting a CIF ring.

[Reply]

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Athletes of the Month: May

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Athletes of the Month: April

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Track Meet at Costa Mesa Adds Up to a Win

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

World Cup: Russia 2018

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

The McMorris Triple Threat

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Volleyball Boys Set A High Standard For Their Season

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Athletes of the Month: March

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Grizzly Athletes Unify at Womens Athletic Conference

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

Boy’s Tennis at Love-40 with Inconvenient Facilities

• Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro

Sports

What You Need to Know About the 2018 Winter Olympics

Sports Spotlight: Gustavo Navarro