Net Neutrality Explained and Why You Should Care

Courtesy of Burger King

Gustavo Navarro, Staff Writer

Leave it to a hamburger to explain Net Neutrality. The majority of students at Godinez, when asked what Net Neutrality is, are clueless. Last month, Burger King showed a commercial about net neutrality explaining what it is and how it works featuring their food.

Net Neutrality allows everyone and anyone in the world to roam the internet interruption-free. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent agency of the United States government that wants to end Net Neutrality. Some websites that you use may end up loading at a slower pace unless that company pays for it. The big companies can afford to pay the Net Neutrality fee and have their websites load up on your screen quickly. On the other side, small websites that don’t have the same amount of money cannot afford this and in return their website and business suffer.

The fear is only big companies will benefit from it and the only way to get around slower internet speeds will be by paying more.

Senior, Cristhian Attempa said, “What is the whole point of taking it down? the internet is good as it is now, there’s really no reason to mess with it.”

Senior, Ashley Gonzalez, chimed in, “It’s not fair because if this happens soon everyone in school will be struggling to do their homework or projects.”

Gonzalez added, “Most homework is done through the internet and to make it slower for students, especially in college, is wrong.”

Gonzalez brought up a good point. The (FCC) hasn’t said anything concerning students being affected by Net Neutrality.

Senior, Ruben Ramos, said he’s heard about it but wasn’t completely sure what it was. Ramos stated, “I don’t want it to affect me because I do a lot of things on my computer whenever I’m home.”

Net Neutrality has not gone unnoticed across the country. Celebrities have gone on social media to have their say. Actor Chris Evans, went on Twitter tweeting, “EVERYONE should care about this! It benefits no one unless you’re a faceless, mega corporation. NOBODY is asking for it.”  

Chance the Rapper tweeted, “I predict @AjitPaiFCC will go to prison for obstruction of justice in the NY attorney general’s investigation of millions of fake comments that were published on the FCC website. #NetNeutrality”

Our librarian Claudia Rivas reflected on how she feels about the end of Net Neutrality, “Most people aren’t happy about it, I feel like it’s just a way for big companies to make more money and make the smaller companies suffer.”

Now that Burger King has explained Net Neutrality, the (FCC) have voted to end Net Neutrality in the middle of December last year and have claimed that changes would be made within weeks. Until now not much has been seen changed on the internet, but eventually we will the difference in our internet.

12 Responses to “Net Neutrality Explained and Why You Should Care”

1. Celso Porron on February 26th, 2018 9:37 am

Net Neutrality is pointless because the internet is already good as is. If it does come to pass then it would create a nuisance for people who depend on the internet to do home work or research. This is why people should’t disdain Net Neutrality and try something to prevent it such as write letters to congress or find websites where their goals are to prevent it.

[Reply]

2. Christian Vera on February 26th, 2018 9:39 am

As a high school student, I would say that the internet has become a big part of my life and without it, nothing would be the same. Applications such as Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram are probably the most well-known services that allow users to share pictures, videos and talk to friends. Aside from these applications, the search engine known as Google has also become a great part of my life and others lives as well. My only main concern is that with the recent repeal of net neutrality that the way I use the internet on a daily basis will change. I also know for a fact that other peoples lives revolve around the internet and basically live off of the internet, so if it ever came to affect us all in a negative way or in a way that we use the internet, that would be a huge issue.

[Reply]

3. Aline Hernandez on February 26th, 2018 9:52 am

While we are barely in high school, net neutrality has come to affect many students inside and outside the class. Most students and especially parents will not be willing to pay more money for something that was provided for free before. There will be downfalls to this net neutrality because students and even in jobs have to use the internet in order to do their homework or their research.

[Reply]

4. Angelica on February 26th, 2018 9:55 am

I have heard about Net Neutrality but I did not know it was really important. After reading this article, I have realized how Net Neutrality is actually something to be worried about. It can effect me in school. I use the internet a lot for homework and projects, but the internet becoming slow will become a problem. Mostly in school, we use the internet to do classwork, so if the internet is slow the class will fall behind.

[Reply]

5. Diego Solorio on February 26th, 2018 10:40 am

Net Neutrality is an extremely important topic that everyone needs to be involved in. Ultimately, if Net Neutrality is repealed, many big companies will have control over the internet and its users, crushing any hopes of a hapless small company attempting to start its business on the internet. The aspect that makes this whole situation even more disgusting is that Ajit Pai, the FCC Chairman who brought the repeal of Net Neutrality up to discussion was previously the Associate General Counsel at Verizon. This is a clear obstruction of justice as the repeal of Net Neutrality will help large internet companies, such as Verizon. Despite large repudiations from the general public and two members of the FCC, the cessation of Net Neutrality by the FCC continued, and by the three conservative FCC members in favor of the repeal, the repeal passed, showing the power of a complete bureaucracy.

[Reply]

6. Alex Rodriguez on February 26th, 2018 10:44 am

I believe that net neutrality should not be quelled because it will be a fiasco for many people with their daily lives. For example, students who have homework needed to be accomplished online will be affected because they will have websites that are not working like they used to. Instead, they would be loading and working at a slower pace. I do not concur with this idea of ending net neutrality because I use my Chromebook every day in class and at home to finish my assignments given online each day. For example, In math class, I get assigned math problems each day from an online textbook that we get from a website. If that website takes longer to load up then I would take more hours to complete my homework each day.

[Reply]

7. Brianna Flores on February 26th, 2018 10:44 am

I think that ending Net Neutrality is wrong because it doesn’t benefit anyone but the big companies. The actual people that use the internet on an everyday bases for work or school won’t get anything out of it except limits on how fast they can access important information. Even worse the small companies will suffer the most from this and their business may have to end as well. It’s not right for only some people to be able to access more information because they have more money. The internet is supposed to be a source of information made accessible to everyone.

[Reply]

8. Alejandro Izquierdo on February 27th, 2018 8:07 am

It is very helpful that the school is informing students about the changes that are occurring with the internet. It will be very frustrating especially if you’re supposed to be working on a project and it takes forever to load. Many are confused about why they decided to take it out was it so that the government could get more money from the business or to close the sites that could not pay and replace them with ones that could.

[Reply]

9. Andy Martinez on February 27th, 2018 8:38 am

This issue is something that has drawn a lot of attention to itself. Like Cristhian Attempa, I do not see the point in messing with the Internet. If Net Neutrality is taken away, not everyone will be able to afford paying for some websites and some people will have difficulty doing their homework. This will cause students to be more stressed out as they will get frustrated with the slow speeds of the internet. Another issue this is going to cause, is problems with social media. Snapchat and Instagram are a part of my daily life and I would be torn apart if I am not able to use them in the near future.

[Reply]

10. Jhoel Muniz on February 27th, 2018 10:47 am

The quell of Net Neutrality has been a voluble topic for many months now and I think that putting an end to this would be a bad idea. I agree with Gonzalez because most if not all students use the internet to do research on homework assignments. I think this would be a great fiasco because many people depend on the internet to get their work done.

[Reply]

11. Cesar on February 27th, 2018 10:55 am

Before watching the video and reading this article I was quite confused about these net neutrality acts. After closely reading the article I completely disagree with net neutrality. I believe the internet is fine as it is and there shouldn’t be a need to pay for better internet. I can agree with the majority which avidly disprove of net neutrality because it is trying to take us away from the internet after the many positive things it has done for us such as providing us numerous databases to find important information.

[Reply]

12. Shirley Rios on April 11th, 2018 2:19 pm

Net Neutrality, in my opinion, is not beneficial and has actually apprehensively affected people who don’t want anything to do with paying for significant apps like Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook, etc.. Most people around the world use the internet in their daily lives and with Net Neutrality ISPS (internet service providers) will block certain content and charge extra to use certain services. This is effective to those who will not be able to afford applications or the internet in the future.

[Reply]

• Net Neutrality Explained and Why You Should Care

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly

Campus News

Teachers Secret Talents Shows Passion Beyond the Classroom

Campus News

Help Wanted, Young, not so Dumb, and Broke

Campus News

Two Teachers Give Their GFHS Farewells

Campus News

Prom 2018, A Lovely Night

Campus News

Apps You Should Know

Campus News

The Need For Reading