Net Neutrality Explained and Why You Should Care

Courtesy of Burger King

Gustavo Navarro, Staff Writer

Leave it to a hamburger to explain Net Neutrality. The majority of students at Godinez, when asked what Net Neutrality is, are clueless. Last month, Burger King showed a commercial about net neutrality explaining what it is and how it works featuring their food.

Net Neutrality allows everyone and anyone in the world to roam the internet interruption-free. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is an independent agency of the United States government that wants to end Net Neutrality. Some websites that you use may end up loading at a slower pace unless that company pays for it. The big companies can afford to pay the Net Neutrality fee and have their websites load up on your screen quickly. On the other side, small websites that don’t have the same amount of money cannot afford this and in return their website and business suffer.

The fear is only big companies will benefit from it and the only way to get around slower internet speeds will be by paying more.

Senior, Cristhian Attempa said, “What is the whole point of taking it down? the internet is good as it is now, there’s really no reason to mess with it.”

Senior, Ashley Gonzalez, chimed in, “It’s not fair because if this happens soon everyone in school will be struggling to do their homework or projects.”

Gonzalez added, “Most homework is done through the internet and to make it slower for students, especially in college, is wrong.”

Gonzalez brought up a good point. The (FCC) hasn’t said anything concerning students being affected by Net Neutrality.

Senior, Ruben Ramos, said he’s heard about it but wasn’t completely sure what it was. Ramos stated, “I don’t want it to affect me because I do a lot of things on my computer whenever I’m home.”

Net Neutrality has not gone unnoticed across the country. Celebrities have gone on social media to have their say. Actor Chris Evans, went on Twitter tweeting, “EVERYONE should care about this! It benefits no one unless you’re a faceless, mega corporation. NOBODY is asking for it.”  

Chance the Rapper tweeted, “I predict @AjitPaiFCC will go to prison for obstruction of justice in the NY attorney general’s investigation of millions of fake comments that were published on the FCC website. #NetNeutrality”

Our librarian Claudia Rivas reflected on how she feels about the end of Net Neutrality, “Most people aren’t happy about it, I feel like it’s just a way for big companies to make more money and make the smaller companies suffer.”

Now that Burger King has explained Net Neutrality, the (FCC) have voted to end Net Neutrality in the middle of December last year and have claimed that changes would be made within weeks. Until now not much has been seen changed on the internet, but eventually we will the difference in our internet.