Buying Your Boo a Gift that Doesn’t Break the Bank

Rodrigo Macias

Just a sampling of materials you can find at Makers Space located in the library.

Stephanie Padilla

Stephanie Padilla

Tania Torres, Staff Writer

There are many ways to show your loved one that you care for them without breaking the bank.

You can always buy or make something special for them. Here are ideas that won’t break the bank:

Scrapbooks: You can get a scrapbook at Walmart for $6-7, add $3 if you print out pictures.  Decorations is $4 more. Be  creative and make it at home with colored paper, markers, and string. If you have most of those things at home, you can spend as little as $5-10.

Explosion Box: At Walmart, you can get little gift boxes for around $5, print pictures for $4 and decorate it yourself. After obtaining these items, make a trip to CVS and get small gifts that fit in the box. Lipsticks for girls or socks for boys are always liked. There are alternatives as well at your local Dollar Tree. If you want to make it at home, find small boxes that aren’t being used, paper, and if you have a printer you can also print pictures. The only money you will spend on the box will be the stuff you’re going to put inside it. The total price will be around $10 depending on what is bought.

Candy Jars: To make candy jars, you have to buy the supplies, but it is not going to be more than $10. Buy a mason jar, and you can get both the jar and the candy at a cheap price at Dollar Tree. If you want to decorate it, write a note and add it to the jar. Also, decorate the mason jar with ribbons and other ornaments.

Candy Basket: You’re going to have to buy everything for the basket.  The basket will not exceed $15. Buy the basket and the candy at any store for $15  or less. Add pictures to the basket for extra personalization. 

Cookies or baked goods: Buy everything to make the cookies. It shouldn’t exceed $6 to 7. It is going to take time to make them but when you love someone, it’s worth it. If you are short on time, purchase baked cookies at the store. They’re super cute at Stater Bros. and run $3.99 and up.

Grizzly Workshop: The best gift of all is going to the Grizzly workshop called Makers Space in the library. Librarian Claudia Rivas provides all the supplies to make buttons, cards, or iron-on clothes. For the ironing, you’re going to bring your own t-shirt or cotton material, but the rest of the supplies are provided. 

So there you have it. More money in your wallet and less stress this Valentine’s Day. Just get your boo something to show them that you love them. You don’t need to waste a lot of money to get something special for your special someone.

1 Comment

One Response to “Buying Your Boo a Gift that Doesn’t Break the Bank”

1. Paulina Calderon on February 14th, 2018 9:30 am

I had no idea about Makers Space, until after reading this article. I will be willing to go in some time to check it out.

[Reply]

• Buying Your Boo a Gift that Doesn’t Break the Bank

Campus News

Dancing the Night Away: Photo Gallery of Prom 2018

Campus News

Grizzlies Take Flight

Campus News

From High School Seniors to College Freshman

Campus News

Seniors, Plan Accordingly

Campus News

Teachers Secret Talents Shows Passion Beyond the Classroom

Campus News

Help Wanted, Young, not so Dumb, and Broke

Campus News

Two Teachers Give Their GFHS Farewells

Campus News

Prom 2018, A Lovely Night

Campus News

Apps You Should Know

Campus News

The Need For Reading