A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors

Graphic by Marisol Napoles

Graphic by Marisol Napoles

Marisol Napoles, Staff Writer

After hearing rumors about changes being made to the annual Disneyland trip, seniors have mixed feelings.

When senior year rolls around, students look forward to their senior privileges. One of the most anticipated is a trip to Disneyland that offers a chance to feel like a kid and forget that they are days away from entering the adult world. However, with the school and ASB experiencing a lack of interest and participation in activities where spending money is required among seniors, the cost of a one day ticket for $155 is controversial.

Humberto Ceballos, one of many seniors who are disappointed said that “tickets are too expensive.”

Ana Castillo also spoke about her dissatisfaction with the price. She explains that “It sounds like a waste of money because it’s not actually Grad Nite.”

Alexys Soto, an annual pass holder, explains that she is planning to attend the trip to Disneyland. “I could go any other day with the pass, it really won’t be any different but the school is going so I am going to go,” says Soto.

Sergio Pineda explains that he will definitely go to Grad Day. “Of course I’m going. It’s the same day as my birthday,” reveals Pineda. “I’m going because it’s a day I can hang out with my closest friends at the happiest place on earth.”

Daniel Tena, ASB adviser, clears up lingering questions that many students have. He explained that the only change this year is that seniors will have a Grad Day. Students will “leave here no later than 9 in the morning and leave the park at midnight.”

“This isn’t a fundraiser, it’s just a direct sale,” says Tena. He explained activity is provided for seniors to have fun, ASB does not benefit from it.

Grad Day has typically been the most popular and successful senior activity. The final day to buy tickets is February 28th.

Editor’s Note:  After a follow-up interview concerning the discrepancy in price of the Grad Nite prices listed on Disneyland’s website, the editors learned that Friday, May 25th was chosen due to conflicts within the SAUSD calendar. Surge pricing is in effect for weekends, therefore a discounted ticket sold at the group rate by Disney is $145 with a $10 busing charge added on to ensure transportation for seniors.

16 Responses to “A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors”

1. frankie gutierrez on February 14th, 2018 8:24 am

I think that the tickets are still expensive and not all my friends are going because they are expensive.

[Reply]

2. tara soto on February 14th, 2018 9:19 am

I also think the price is crazy expensive!

[Reply]

3. Araceli Elias on February 14th, 2018 9:28 am

Even if the school is short on cash, I don’t see why we have to pay over fifty dollars more than the seniors did last year.

[Reply]

4. Emma Marting on February 14th, 2018 9:31 am

Why has it changed? The last few graduating classes have had the traditional Grad Night, and tickets are at most $135 for the park hopper and “Grad Night” event, given that there are at least 20 seniors and 2 chaperones (https://www.disneyyouth.com/programs/field-trips/dlr/grad-nite-disneyland/pricing/). Given that the class of 2018 at Godinez has over 600 students, finding 20 should be no issue. I’m sure busing and chaperones are the main concern, but I feel that the information should have been given more candidly since I am not the only one who was unaware of a change.

[Reply]

5. Jocelyn Sanchez on February 14th, 2018 1:01 pm

It dosen’t seem fair that we seniors didn’t get a say on this sudden change after all it is our senior year.

[Reply]

6. Ricardo on February 14th, 2018 1:07 pm

The price is to high

[Reply]

7. Erika on February 14th, 2018 1:07 pm

Some students do not want to attend because it is during the day.

[Reply]

8. nancy chavez on February 14th, 2018 1:12 pm

The sudden change to our Disney trip is just devastating especially the fact that its not senior NIGHT, its senior day.

[Reply]

9. MENEZ on February 14th, 2018 2:10 pm

WOW

[Reply]

10. Areli Arroyo on February 14th, 2018 2:11 pm

I agree the tickets are expensive!

[Reply]

11. juan gonzalez on February 14th, 2018 2:11 pm

I also agree that the tickets are a bit out of the roof

[Reply]

12. Natalia on February 14th, 2018 2:13 pm

The ticket is way too expensive, especially if it is just until midnight. I as well as many others can probably find cheaper tickets for that same day if possible. Seems like a waste and I feel like many seniors are going to back out if ASB does not clear this up with the senior class before February 28th.

[Reply]

13. Jossiani Ballesteros on February 14th, 2018 2:13 pm

I think we should go back the old way and have grad night instead of day. They are breaking a tradition and disappointing many. I feel like all these changes in senior year are making many of us not want to attend any senior activities.

[Reply]

14. Reberiano Diaz on February 14th, 2018 2:13 pm

I feel like the tickets are quite high and many people wont be able to attend due to the high amount of money a single ticket costs.

[Reply]

15. Jennifer Fregoso on February 14th, 2018 2:20 pm

The tickets are way to expensive and it’s not only about the money also it is not even Grad Night. Also, the park is not going to be closed just for Grad Night so there is going to be a lot of people and we are not going to be able to go on as many rides so I would rather go on my own with my friends or family on a day that there isn’t going to be as many people. This is why my friends and I are planning to go somewhere else and have more fun for less amount of money.

[Reply]

16. Bryan Barranon on February 15th, 2018 10:17 am

I think the prices are too high I want all my friends to be able to go, I feel like the school jacks up the prices so they can get the most money out of us. The school has other things like prom and other activities we are most likely going to pay for they make enough money to at least make it 20 dollars cheaper.

[Reply]

• A Disney Dismay for Cash-Strapped Seniors

Showcase

Not Every Athlete Has the Best Sports Season

Showcase

Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Grizzlies Reflect on their own #MeToo Experiences

Showcase

DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Tackling The Lack of Sports Facilities at GFHS

Showcase

Op-Ed, Facing Reality: Being Undocumented and Unapologetic

Showcase

The New Face of Godinez, Principal Jesse Church

Showcase

Two Gals Eat: Tacos El Gavilan

Showcase

GFHS Students Left Worried in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey

Showcase

Staff Spotlight: Mirna Perez