Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Senior Julio Ortega stands in front of the new window coverings that features himself.

Stephanie Padilla

Stephanie Padilla

Gabriela Lopez, Staff Writer

Tired of the school looking more like a prison? Principal Jesse Church is on an aggressive campaign to change Godinez’s aesthetics.

Walking through the gates of Godinez Fundamental High School, it’s not hard to miss the huge, new photos of students posted against the office windows. These photos were unveiled just a few weeks ago, and many other additions placed throughout the school haven’t gone unnoticed.

“Contrary to what most people say- that you can’t judge a book by its cover- you won’t read the book unless it has a nice cover. That’s called marketing,” said Principal Jesse Church.

Within his first year as principal, Church has added directory signs, improved the bulletin boards in hallways, and added the photographic mural along the front entrance.

As a big fan of curb appeal, Church plans to include more banners and photos that will accurately represent the students of Godinez in hopes of providing them a “home away from home.”

The directory signs and bulletin boards seen throughout the school were placed earlier in the year.

“It’s about student information and having access to that information,” Church begins, regarding the addition of the signs and board, “And those boards are designed primarily for students to be able to communicate with everyone.”

There is still a lot more that Church has planned. When asked what more can we expect, he responded enthusiastically with a list of future art pieces that are in the works. They will be painted on the concrete walls.

“We have two murals, one that’s going to be painted on the top of the 100 building, another that’s going to be painted on the 400 building,” said Church, as he began clicking through emails to look for the artwork that he envisions on the buildings.

In addition to these painted murals, students can expect to see banners hung from the ceiling of the lunch tables and in classroom hallways. There will also be a 90 inch plasma screen TV in the Higher Ed Center and new refrigerators and ice makers for the concession stands in the gym and theater.

In Church’s effort to make students feel more included, the reactions have been positive and many are happy to have their photo among the school walls.

“I felt like a celebrity, like I’m famous,” jokes senior Julio Ortega when asked how he felt about having his photo placed in front of the office. “I was pretty shocked, and then, when my friend showed me, I was kind of weirded out, how did I get up there.”

Students who do not have their photos displayed are not left out. Sophomore Damaris Rivas is comparing the changes she sees from her freshman year to now.

“It makes me feel like we’re progressing. They’re recognizing that we’re doing stuff at school,” upon seeing the photographic murals. Rivas says it all shows the school’s improvement.

It’s quite the to-do list, but in the end, Church hopes that students leave knowing they attended a school where staff and teachers support school spirit.

“We all are a part of creating a home away from home,” Church said.

The ideas are new and exciting, and all a part of Church’s goal to change Godinez.

Church expressed, “We have much more coming.”

21 Responses to “Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover”

1. R. Morgan on February 14th, 2018 8:22 am

Great to see the new look on campus

2. Tony Garcia on February 14th, 2018 9:29 am

I’m looking forward to the upcoming improvements.

3. Adolfo Magarin on February 14th, 2018 10:23 am

STUD

4. Andrea Ceja on February 14th, 2018 2:10 pm

I love the new look of our school campus!

5. Natalie Barrera on February 14th, 2018 2:12 pm

I can’t wait to see how the school will look after all the murals and pictures are up all over the school walls!

6. Jose Diaz on February 14th, 2018 2:13 pm

Its great to see the school getting a makeover because it gives it more life and is not as bland.

7. edwin aguilar on February 14th, 2018 2:14 pm

I think its nice to see different improvements around campus and very thoughtful of Mr. Church

8. Kayla on February 26th, 2018 9:18 am

I enjoy how Mr. Church is adding more unique products into our school to show what Godinez is about and how us students represent Godinez. It is also nice seeing how the school is growing every day with simple objects being placed around.

9. Janet Adame on February 26th, 2018 9:40 am

I think it would be nice to see our school get a makeover to appreciate the arts and the sports at our school because some sports and the arts don’t get enough recognition. The photographic mural along the front entrance has been a great improvement because it catches the attention of students and it makes the school look less plain.

10. Jessica Bustos on February 26th, 2018 9:52 am

Earlier this year, Godinez had a lackluster appearance. The new additions to the school, such as the directory signs and photographic murals, make it look much nicer. I look forward to the rest of Mr. Church’s plans on displaying school spirit.

11. Daniel Moreno on February 26th, 2018 10:18 am

I believe that this is a great change that we are experiencing to make our school a more welcoming place.This makes people feel eminent and even though some of the students are not up on the murals yet, they still have a chance to get up there. I think that the changes that are presented above are great and they will probably make our school great again! I support Mr. Church and all his efforts that he is putting forth in order to make this a place where us as students can feel pride and joy to be on this campus.

12. Monserrath Mejia Esquivel on February 26th, 2018 10:44 am

The new improvements of the school have really turned people to have high hopes in Godinez. For example, many students, mainly athletes are waiting to see if a pool and a stadium are going to be constructed in order to have priority of practices. The small improvements around the school though, have been laudable and inspiring others to do good in school and the community in order to have their picture up in buildings, banners, and windows. Additionally, the bulletin boards have helped students fiasco of community service hours turn into a relief due to the new opportunities of gaining hours. In my opinion i believe that Mr. Church is rejuvenating Godinez as well as the students.

13. Julizaa on February 26th, 2018 12:00 pm

My perspective is that I think that it is a great idea to remodel the school campus, it really makes our school stand out rather than the previous years. Mr.Church is definitely trying to sally fourth by making positive improvements to our school. Visitors,students,staff will discern from all the ideas Mr. Church has in mind for our school.

14. Jose Villatoro on February 26th, 2018 12:01 pm

I think that having pictures of students in our school is awesome because it feels more like we are at home. Mr. Church made this all feasible without him the school would not have any of the changes we have today at our school.

15. Juliana on February 26th, 2018 12:21 pm

This article show what they have done in the school. I like the new makeover that they are doing in school because it makes the school enhance. Because it show the kind of sport there is and the activity.

16. Mariana on February 26th, 2018 12:27 pm

The murals in front of the school really grab your attention, it’ll be pretty amazing to see the murals rampant around the entire school. Showing the grizzlies school spirit and sally towards an achievement.

17. Samantha Valdivia on February 27th, 2018 8:38 am

Mr. Church improving our campus by adding new boards and murals is motivating to our students and improves the look of our campus. He has helped the students realize that all the changes at our campus are happening for the students and because of our students. He has also added pictures of our athletes around campus increasing school spirit.

18. Roman Arcos on February 27th, 2018 9:19 am

It is very feasible for Mr. Church to give the school a makeover. With our last principal, it seemed very perfunctory because she did not try changing the school at all. I have faith in Mr. Church and his future plans for our school.

19. Luis Carrillo on February 27th, 2018 9:48 am

It’s nice to see some changes being made to our laudable school. Ever since I enrolled to GFHS I knew it was very feasible to make changes for example like what Mr. Church did putting up murals of students. I say we should sally on with new and improved changes to our school.

20. Jasmin Gutierrez on February 27th, 2018 10:51 am

I think its is awesome of the staff and principal to recognize students for their hard work on campus. It is good to know students are not eschewed for their laudable contributions of time and talent. However, I think more should be done to showcase every sport and club on campus and abound Godinez with murals. For instance, wrestling and tennis are two of the least most appreciated sports at Godinez and this should improve. Furthermore, each senior class should push to give a gift at the end of the school year so they can be remembered interminably.

21. Cynthia Molina on February 27th, 2018 10:56 am

It´s amazing how Mr. Church is feasible to make our campus look better. When you came in to our campus before all the changes it was a little fiasco because we did not have as much school spirit. Now to discern all the perfunctory changes makes our school look even better. For Mr.Church to disparage for our school is a really big step and I am looking forward to what he has planned for the future.

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Waterpolo Gains New Players and New Challenges

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Stressed and Hungry? We Found Study Solutions

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Seniors Frustrations Turn to Online Venting and Bullying of ASB

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Anxiety and Depression in High School Students On the Rise

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Sports

A Game to Remember

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Teachers Put in Extra Work to Help Fund Supplies for Students

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

What’s all the Racket About? Orange County Water District Renovates Centennial Park

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Fear of Deportation a Real Concern for Students

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

Legalization Lights Up Controversy

• Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover

Showcase

GFHS Cardio Room Isn’t Working Out

Godinez Campus Gets a Makeover