Why Teddy Bears Make a Horrible Valentine’s Gift

Just another teddy bear waiting to go to a good home and collect dust for years.

Joyce Feuerborn

Joyce Feuerborn

Joyce Feuerborn

Paola Guillen, Staff Writer

February 14. Another American money making holiday, where one is bombarded with the pressure of buying the perfect gift. Nevertheless, take note men: Cross teddy bears off your potential V-day list. It’s not the perfect gift.      

When it comes to making a girl feel loved, guys, assume that a silly little bear will do the job. This is a result of horrible marketing that has manipulated guys into thinking that women love teddy bears. However, girls want something that they can actually use, not another bed decoration. I’m not here to judge, just to help with a better choice. So, here are some reasons why teddy bears make an awful gift:

It’s immature. The most common gift to give a child is a stuffed animal. They throw them when they’re mad, hug them when they’re scared, and chew them when they get teeth. However, no grown women wants a teddy bear from their significant other unless her kind of date is sitting around the living room playing house with all the other bears you’ve got her.

“Teddy bears are childish, I prefer chocolates or gift cards,” said sophomore Ariana Guillen.   

At the end of the day, girls just want their men to be romantic. This can be expressed through the gift you choose. There are plenty of things you can get a woman like: perfume, clothing, chocolates, jewelry, or shoes. Not only will this display the maturity of your relationship, it will also distinguish you from other men.

Everyone gets the same gift. When there are thousands of other girls sharing their fluffy teddy bears all over social media, girls ask themselves “what makes mine so special?” This exemplifies how there was no thought or effort put into choosing a gift.  

“If he picks out your favorite chocolate or clothing that means he thought about you, whereas a bear is basic and unthoughtful,” said junior Ana Serrano.  

It can be a $10 dollar necklace, a Starbucks gift card, or even her favorite album. When purchasing these gifts, you are showing her that you actually pay attention to the little details she shares with you.  

They’re useless. There is nothing you can do with a teddy bear besides set it down on your furniture. Who wants a creepy bear in their room staring at every move they make? Women show excitement about the gesture, but then realize their bed has now turned into a bear collection. Every time she looks at it ,she hopes her significant other will finally mature and get a better gift next year. Over time, she will realize that the bear is taking up space in her room and throw it out. Oh, and she might just take you out as well.  

There you have it, lovers, teddy bears are just not the perfect gift. So, if you want to score some points this Valentine’s Day, listen to what your partner  wants.