Staff Spotlight: Jessica Morris

Jessica Morris, pictured here  instructing a class.

Jessica Morris, pictured here instructing a class.

Aristeo Miranda

Aristeo Miranda

Aristeo Miranda and Victor Aburto

The long days Jessica Morris works as a teacher and coach aren’t so easy for her.

Before Morris started teaching at Godinez, she worked at Santa Ana High School, as well as Saddleback. Morris started teaching at Godinez eight years ago, and during her second year at Godinez she became the head coach for swim and water polo. The deciding factor that cemented her move to Godinez was her desire to be a part of a growing community, and since Godinez just opened up it was a perfect candidate.  

Morris grew up next to the beach, so swimming became natural for her. When Morris was in 6th grade, she was in a swim club and by high school, she was on the water polo team at Century High School. Her mom always supported her in sports and always took her to games and practices although she also had siblings that played sports. Mama Morris still supports her daughter by going to watch Morris coach.

When Morris was younger, she didn’t even dream of becoming a teacher. She saw what her mom had to go through grading papers and she decided that job was not for her. It wasn’t until she started working at an aquarium that she realized that she wanted to teach. By her 3rd year at the aquarium, she was in charge of the field trips, and a little girl stopped her and told her all about what she learned when she went on her field trip. That is when Morris realized she wanted to teach.

Morris’ first teaching job was at Santa Ana High School. While teaching at Santa Ana High School, she worked with her mom, Linda Morris. Morris decided to move to Godinez as there was a teaching spot available, and four years later there was another available spot. Her mom then moved to Godinez as well. “I love working with her, it is amazing” Morris said.

Morris and ‘Mama Morris’, as her students call her, worked for two years together at Santa Ana High School and then stopped since Morris started teaching at Godinez. Now, they are working together at Godinez again. “It is great working with her, we bounce ideas off each other although we teach different subjects and help eachother out” Mama Morris said.

Morris teaches Avid, AP/Honors biology, and coaches water polo and swim, which makes for a very long day. Her typical workday is about 14 hours long, but she enjoys what she does. ”I wouldn’t change what I do because I love helping the students out and love coaching”, said Morris

“It is important to find what you’re passionate about, a job shouldn’t be about the money,” Morris said.