How WASC’s Decision Affects our School

How WASC’s Decision Affects our School

From left to right; Alex Blackwelder, Bennett Wutkee,Dr. Antoinette Gutierrez, Susana Arce, Megan Workman, Sejal Majithia

Alexandra Segura

Alexandra Segura

Alexandra Segura

Berenice Jimenez and Balvina Parra

Grizzlies know WASC’s (The Western Association of Schools and Colleges) ultimate view of our school matters.

WASC is a nationwide organization that works closely under the California Department of Education and visits our campus to determine the validity of our high school diplomas. The last time WASC came to Godinez Fundamental High School was in spring of 2011, since Godinez received the highest accreditation which is a six-year renewal.

WASC validates the report that the school provides and grades based on the report they receive and observations around the school. WASC focuses on five areas specifically, which are: Curriculum, Organization, Instruction, Assessment and Accountability, and Culture. From there, WASC evaluates our strengths and what we have to work on. The WASC staff is chosen from all over Southern California high schools and districts.

“We don’t know each other beforehand. We meet the day we all start which is on the Sunday that we all arrive,” said Susana Arce, a WASC committee member. It is a random assignment, they come together with Chairperson Arce, a retired assistant principal from Ojai. The team whom she worked with for the four day evaluation were: Megan Workman, from Inspire Charter Schools, Alex Blackwelder, from Scripps Ranch High School, Bennett Wutkee, assistant principal at Newbury Park High School, Dr. Antoinette Gutierrez, principal at San Bernardino High School, and Sejal Majithia, who works for the classical academies in Operations.

WASC representative and Godinez teacher Marie-Claire Siddall found out that when the representatives asked the students of any concerns on campus, the representatives did not receive negative response from students because they were all so positive about our school. Siddall said, “ It gave me goosebumps to hear them talking about our school like that and seeing what great students you guys are.”

WASC visitor Alex Blackwelder stated, “This is our third day and we’re really impressed by the pride the students have in the school and teachers and administrators have in this school and parents have.”  Visitor Bennett Wutkee mentioned, “There are a lot of great things that you guys are doing at your school that we are planning on going back to our schools and implementing or try to implement. We like your portfolio process, your summer reading program is awesome, and the way you guys incorporate technology into your classes is great.”

Overall, the visit from WASC was stressful and critical, but their comments on the school reinforce Godinez’ excellence. WASC visitors were highly impressed with the way our school works. WASC has now certified our school for the next six years. The WASC visiting staff were particularly impressed with the way we do the portfolios, saying, “the portfolios knocked all our socks off.”

Superintendent Stephanie Phillips stated at the final report presentation, “ Your teachers are a marvelous team, continue to work together and let the district know about anything, even the small problems, but keep doing what you’re doing.” Lastly, the superintendent mentioned that they are discussing and actively working on adding facilities such as a pool, since it is a major area of focus on the WASC report.

1 Comment

One Response to “How WASC’s Decision Affects our School”

1. Natalie on November 20th, 2017 8:39 am

I am pleased to hear that WASC has approved of our school’s methods. Our school acts incongruously because of the students’ pride, which makes the atmosphere feel great. I am glad that our school has influenced WASC to want to apply our techniques at their schools. Lastly, I am grateful WASC certified Godinez for the next six years.

• How WASC’s Decision Affects our School

Campus News

Experiences & Differences, Being in the Distinguished Grizzly Program

Campus News

Here Are Some Tips For Summer Jobs

Campus News

Senioritis affecting the race to Graduation

Campus News

AP Practice Exams Invade Spring Break

Campus News

Lime Scooters ride into Santa Ana with unprecedented risks

Campus News

GFHS Students Pay the Consequences with Locked Bathrooms on Campus

Campus News

Get Involved by Saving the Environment

Campus News

Michael Cohen’s Testimony: Why Should It Matter?

Campus News

New GFHS Wellness Center Is Here to Help

Campus News

Stressing Over 40 hours

How WASC’s Decision Affects our School