Club Beat: Hanging Out in the Grizzly Lounge

At+the+Grizzly+Lounge%2C+students+get+an+opportunity+to+socialize+and+relax.+
At the Grizzly Lounge, students get an opportunity to socialize and relax.

Kevin Ruiz

Kevin Ruiz

Kevin Ruiz, Staff Writer

Every day after school, the Grizzly Lounge opens to students and provides them with many helpful services. Students receive help from College Level tutors, play games with other students at Gamers Club, improve make up skills at Cosmetology Club and get in shape at Fitness Club. Students also can hang out at the Teen Center (a new addition) and play video games, watch movies and socialize with new people.

On Tuesday afternoon, Zahraa Charara (coordinator of the Grizzly Lounge for four years) explained the purpose of the Grizzly Lounge. She said “The Grizzly Lounge is to support Godinez students both academically and emotionally by offering opportunities outside the classroom. So the point is to support whatever is happening during the school day but also after school.” Charara also added, “ In terms of the Teen Center, I would say the Teen Center is a safe space where students can come hangout. It’s a casual space. You can come do homework, hangout with friends, and come play video games or watch movies. It really is whatever students want it to be.”

The Grizzly Lounge offers an inclusive environment to students looking for something to do after school.

Joe Marroquin (coordinator of the Grizzly Lounge) pointed out the most positive aspect of the program: “The fact that it is open to all students. Nobody is rejected.” Marroquin also added about his experience at Godinez, “It is actually great, it has been really supportive. One of the cool things about this Campus is the togetherness from a lot of the staff, Which reflects a lot of what they do for students. So it has actually been pretty good.”

Marroquin has worked at the Grizzly Lounge for four years, and has talked many students. He was asked if he saw anything different in students in the past years in regards to Academics and attitude. “I have noticed a lot of students being more receptive to the Grizzly Lounge and a lot of the services we provide. I think because we have been here for a few years now, the students can actually see a little bit of the benefits and so can the school see some of the benefits we can offer that weren’t necessarily available before.

Israel Armenta ( a tutor at the Grizzly Lounge) said, “ I have been working here for two years now. It is fun when kids actually need help and I can help them.  Mr. Joe is really nice with me and Ms. Zahraa has been really good to me too. The staff is good, my co-workers have been really cool with me. I get along with everybody. So it’s been pretty fun.”

Ricky Lizarraga, (also a tutor) responded, “ It’s been wonderful coming back. You know, giving back to the community. It is something I always wanted to do and I am currently working getting my teaching credentials. So I can comeback and hopefully someday become a teacher.”

For anyone who wants to go, the Grizzly Lounge is open Monday-Friday, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.

1 Comment

One Response to “Club Beat: Hanging Out in the Grizzly Lounge”

1. Andy Martinez on October 20th, 2017 8:30 am

I believe that the Grizzly Lounge is the best innovation at this school. Not only do students get help with their homework, but they also get to socialize and interact with other people. At the Grizzly Lounge, students will not be lonely and might even feel a tinge of love when they are there. Student who go to the Grizzly Lounge are steeped by other students who just want to hang out and meet other people. Overall, it enhances this school and really gives students the chance to socialize instead of going home and being locked in their room all afternoon.

[Reply]

• Club Beat: Hanging Out in the Grizzly Lounge

Features

Everybody Has a Story: Yuliana Perez

Features

Everybody Has a Story: Bryan Barranon

Features

Artists of the Month

Features

Staff Spotlight: Jessica Morris

Features

Club Beat: French Club

Features

Club Beat: Self Defense Club

Features

Artists of the Month

Features

Everybody Has a Story: Jazmin Pina

Features

Club Beat: Youth & Government

Features

Everybody Has a Story: Andres Silva