Water Polo Struggles to Stay Afloat Without Student Support

The water polo team continues to perform, but the stands remain empty.

Ashley Beltran

Ashley Beltran

Tania Torres, Staff Writer

Where’s the love for boys water polo?          

The season has started for our Grizzly water polo boys to show what they have in the pool. Their season started well, as head coach Jessica Morris pointed out. “They having been doing very well in their pass games” Morris included that they aren’t going to stop getting better. “They want to improve in every game,” said Morris.

Our water polo boys have shown determination and dedication to play the sport.

The players have to leave Godinez at 4:00 p.m. and walk to Valley High School every day. It’s a 20-minute walk to get there and then they have to wait for Valley’s water polo team to finish. Sometimes the locker rooms are closed, so they have to change outside in front of whoever happens to walk by.

Due to them having to practice from 5:00 p.m to 8:00 p.m at Valley High School, they find a way to get to practice and keep up with their school work. Even if that means they have to stay up late finishing homework.

Varsity player Julian Reyes said, “There’s no support for water polo boys. We are left out.”

Reyes and all his teammates feel the same way due to the fact the there are not many students going to their games, and their sport is not as promoted as other sports like football and soccer.

Reyes has played football, and he knows the difference in support.

The team wants others to know that the sport they play helps them to: stay in shape, improve their confidence and learn to manage their time. The team stated that “Boys should join water polo, it’s fun and you guys become a family.”

They hope to see more people come support them like the water polo team shows up every day to practice.

9 Responses to “Water Polo Struggles to Stay Afloat Without Student Support”

1. Janet Adame on October 20th, 2017 8:35 am

I feel the same way as the varsity player Julian Reyes because ASB fails to provide support for other teams like cross country as well. I am an athlete as well for the girls cross country team and I am aware that our races are not home but when we do get the chance of racing on our course students/ ASB still do not show support. Especially from ASB, who is supposed to support and cheer on fellow grizzlies. They fabricate an excuse saying that this year they will show support and yes they put a few posters but they seem to have little effort put into them. Unlike when it comes to football they have many posters spread across the stands that are very nice. I believe they should show support for all sports, not the ones that they just think are the most interesting.

[Reply]

2. Dalia Gutierrez on October 20th, 2017 9:29 am

As being part of the athletic program, I can relate to the topic of having support out in the stands while my team and I perform. It upsets me to see that some sports in our program, like water polo, are not yet not receiving the same support as our other sports are wresting. At times, sports just like water polo are having to put up with lackluster comments from other sports that bring their self esteem as a performer down as well as their pride in their game. As a school, we should pay attention to the little details and help make our spirit for all sports more visible.

[Reply]

3. Daniel on October 20th, 2017 9:37 am

I agree that the boys’ water polo team deserves more respect and people should go attend their games.Water polo has some great people who put in as much effort as the football and soccer players here at Godinez. They manage their time since they have long practices and they are still able to finish their homework even though they finish late at night.These people take their valuable time and put it forth to the sport that they love to play and yet there is no one there to support these people.In my opinion I believe these water polo boys deserve more respect and people should start attending their games just like how people attend the football and soccer games because these people put in the same amount of work as the other sport players do and we should show our support for them.

[Reply]

4. Samantha Alarcon on October 20th, 2017 12:09 pm

Sports like water polo, tennis, cross country and swim are incongruous as football or soccer because of the support they receive. Many people don’t support because they don’t see the students practicing and most of the games are held in another school such as Valley or Mcfadden. To provide a more same environment for our student-athletes we need to provide them with the faculty and equipment they need so that they can succeed. The Santa Ana Unified District should put a censation to the unfairness and struggle the students go through to play a game or attend practice.

[Reply]

5. Arturo Galindo on October 20th, 2017 12:14 pm

i feel that the water polo team should be eminent because they put in all this work and they get no recognition and how the school does not keep track on what time they come out of practice for they could change in the lockers cause sometimes it lock and they have to change outside i feel that they should get more attention.

[Reply]

6. Julizaa on October 20th, 2017 12:14 pm

The water polo team is being discriminated in comparison to sports . The students here at Godinez including myself should try to at least support the team by abounding in their games. If we show support the team wont have to feel lackluster anymore .

[Reply]

7. Jose Villatoro on October 20th, 2017 12:15 pm

Water Polo is a great sport in my opinion. It is kind of rough you have to jostle people to get the ball and maybe even win a game. If you are inadvertently losing you have to make sure you do all you can do to make sure you get some points for your team to win. Water Polo also helps you in your swimming so it helps you in all around in your physical education.

[Reply]

8. Figueroa Steven on October 20th, 2017 12:24 pm

I think that the boy’s water polo has a point of them not having support by any students from Godinez.Seeing that even at home games they won’t get support sucks honestly it’s very caustic of Godinez students not showing support for their own school team.Knowing that water polo doesn’t have support for games makes me think that I should start attending their games with a few games.

[Reply]

9. David De Niz on November 20th, 2017 10:33 am

I agree, some sports don’t get a lot of support which is unfair, because they are a part of our athletics program and we should show the same support. ASB advertises football games more than any other sport in fact football stands are always replete with people, win or lose. We should support all athletic teams, our teams are all adroit groups.

[Reply]

• Sports

Godinez and Segerstrom Face Off

• Water Polo Struggles to Stay Afloat Without  Student Support

Sports

Did Cristiano Ronaldo Deserve The Best FIFA Football Award?

Sports

Grizzlies React to Dodgers Loss

Gallery

Athletes of the Month: November

Sports

Athletes of the Month: October

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Mario Lopez

Sports

Girls Tennis are Served the Challenge of a Tough Schedule

Sports

Godinez Football Program Remains Ambitious Under New Leadership

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

Sports

Athletes of the Month: June