DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Citlali Hernandez

Guadalupe Peral and Berenice Jimenez

With the plans to end DACA, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the fear of deportation has increased amongst Godinez Fundamental High School students and their families.

A senior* at Godinez said, “ My biggest fear is that I’m going to get deported.”

President Donald Trump has stated that DACA is being eliminated because it is unconstitutional. Grizzlies who are DACA are afraid that going to college will cease to be an option since most do not have money to pay for college themselves.

Paulina*, has not talked to her family about their economic situation yet, She is afraid that they will tell her to stop going to school. Paulina is one of many who fear deportation or fear that their dream to attend college will cease to exist because of the worry of no financial support when applying. Paulina receives support from teachers, but the dread of deportation still persists.

Superintendent Dr. Stefanie Phillips wrote a letter to SAUSD students and parents concerning DACA. Phillips said, “ Our schools are a safe place for you, and we will continue to advocate for you with our government leaders.”

This statement and resolution presented to the SAUSD school board was aimed to have reassured DACA students about their safety within the district. However, Cecilia Iglesias school board member has stated that she does not approve of supporting DACA and was the sole dissentient on the resolution that passed 4-1.

DACA students were happy to know they were being supported; unfortunately, they were still worried.

Another senior* said, “  I feel like the school is there to help us out, but I’m still worried that I won’t be able to go to college.”

Students think that they will not be able to receive any financial aid with DACA, but that is not true. To avoid this problem, teachers and counselors alike, are suggesting to their students that they stay within California.

Assistant Principal Felipe Zamudio said, “This is not the end, keep trying, continue with your studies and everything will work out.”

Representing the counseling department at GFHS, counselor Matthew Hall said, “ We are committed to helping students no matter their background. Although we don’t know what political decisions will be made in the future, the counseling department is fully supportive of our DACA population and their families.”

Hall stressed, “Those students should not be dissuaded from applying to college, and should contact us if they are in need of resources to help them during these times.”

As reassurement that (The school) will do everything possible to make sure every student is taken care of, no matter their status. The school will provide meetings by Godinez experts informing parents and students about financial help for DACAs, and in the process get rid of all the false statements and information being shared concerning the DACA program.Godinez administration showed their support and shared important information concerning the future of DACA, community colleges, and other California colleges are doing the same.

The Rancho Santiago Community College District which includes, Santa Ana College, and Santiago Canyon College stated, “We remain deeply committed to each and every one of our students and to creating a safe and secure educational environment.”

This message stands as reinforcement that their campus as well as any other college campus respect undocumented students concerning their citizenship status. Campuses, will not share student records containing immigration or citizenship status with immigration officials, nor allow District police to detain, question, or arrest anyone on the basis of suspected undocumented immigration status.

UC President Janet Napolitano said, “The University of California will continue to stand with Dreamers [DACAs] and their supporters as we fight to keep the program alive.”

UCs will continue to allow California DACA’s to pay in state tuition, maintain the Dream loan program for financial aid, as well as offer legal services to undocumented students. As was confirmed there are multiple colleges in the state of California that will stand by DACA and offer their services in order to insure their education.

Godinez Students await the decision of Congress on whether DACA will be replaced or  terminated, but SAUSD supports its students and will continue to fight for their well being.

Note: *Some students mentioned in this article remain anonymous or were given a fake name to protect their identity as was recommended by our attorneys at the Student Press Law Center in Washington D.C.