DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Citlali Hernandez

Guadalupe Peral and Berenice Jimenez

With the plans to end DACA, Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, the fear of deportation has increased amongst Godinez Fundamental High School students and their families.

A senior* at Godinez said, “ My biggest fear is that I’m going to get deported.”

President Donald Trump has stated that DACA is being eliminated because it is unconstitutional. Grizzlies who are DACA are afraid that going to college will cease to be an option since most do not have money to pay for college themselves.

Paulina* has not talked to her family about their economic situation yet, She is afraid that they will tell her to stop going to school. Paulina is one of many who fear deportation or fear that their dream to attend college will cease to exist because of the worry of no financial support when applying. Paulina receives support from teachers, but the dread of deportation still persists.

Superintendent Dr. Stefanie Phillips wrote a letter to SAUSD students and parents concerning DACA. Phillips said, “ Our schools are a safe place for you, and we will continue to advocate for you with our government leaders.”

This statement and resolution presented to the SAUSD school board was aimed to have reassured DACA students about their safety within the district. However, Cecilia Iglesias school board member has stated that she does not approve of supporting DACA and was the sole dissentient on the resolution that passed 4-1.

DACA students were happy to know they were being supported; unfortunately, they were still worried.

Another senior* said, “  I feel like the school is there to help us out, but I’m still worried that I won’t be able to go to college.”

Students think that they will not be able to receive any financial aid with DACA, but that is not true. To avoid this problem, teachers and counselors alike, are suggesting to their students that they stay within California.

Assistant Principal Felipe Zamudio said, “This is not the end, keep trying, continue with your studies and everything will work out.”

Representing the counseling department at GFHS, counselor Matthew Hall said, “ We are committed to helping students no matter their background. Although we don’t know what political decisions will be made in the future, the counseling department is fully supportive of our DACA population and their families.”

Hall stressed, “Those students should not be dissuaded from applying to college, and should contact us if they are in need of resources to help them during these times.”

As reassurement that (The school) will do everything possible to make sure every student is taken care of, no matter their status. The school will provide meetings by Godinez experts informing parents and students about financial help for DACAs, and in the process get rid of all the false statements and information being shared concerning the DACA program.Godinez administration showed their support and shared important information concerning the future of DACA, community colleges, and other California colleges are doing the same.

The Rancho Santiago Community College District which includes, Santa Ana College, and Santiago Canyon College stated, “We remain deeply committed to each and every one of our students and to creating a safe and secure educational environment.”

This message stands as reinforcement that their campus, as well as any other college campus, respect undocumented students concerning their citizenship status. Campuses, will not share student records containing immigration or citizenship status with immigration officials, nor allow District police to detain, question, or arrest anyone on the basis of suspected undocumented immigration status.

UC President Janet Napolitano said, “The University of California will continue to stand with Dreamers [DACAs] and their supporters as we fight to keep the program alive.”

UCs will continue to allow California DACA’s to pay in-state tuition, maintain the Dream loan program for financial aid, as well as offer legal services to undocumented students. As was confirmed there are multiple colleges in the state of California that will stand by DACA and offer their services in order to ensure their education.

Godinez Students await the decision of Congress on whether DACA will be replaced or terminated, but SAUSD supports its students and will continue to fight for their well being.

Note: *Some students mentioned in this article remain anonymous or were given a fake name to protect their identity as was recommended by our attorneys at the Student Press Law Center in Washington D.C.

8 Responses to “DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers”

1. Jose Serrano on October 20th, 2017 8:39 am

I see that the incipient fear is building upon these students but they should not worry about it since the school is here to protect them. This should not bring them down but rather boost their energy and want to succeed more.

[Reply]

2. Karen Hernandez on October 20th, 2017 9:39 am

DACA students should be treated indiscriminately, I don’t think that students should have to pay a lot more to go to college just because they were not born in the US. Most students that are in DACA are very avid in their academics which is another reason they deserve to go to a good college and not worry about the expenses. I think that it is important for students to stay positive and ignore that interminable feeling of being deported. I am glad that our school has been a constant reminder that those students in DACA are safe at our school.

[Reply]

3. Adriana Aguillon on October 20th, 2017 9:44 am

As a Godinez student, I am proud to be a Grizzly here at Godinez us as students get a lot of support from our teachers, counselor etc these past weeks have been very difficult for many students here at Godinez, by President Donald Trump by elimination DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals), Trump stating because it was unconstitutional. Many of the students in Godinez are bristle for their future for example going to college and having a career. Many people loathed this, but our counselors told those students to just keep on studying, and everything will work out.

[Reply]

4. Gabriela Calderon on October 20th, 2017 9:48 am

This is really helpful for many DACA students because they know that with everything going on they can still count on the school for additional support. The DACA students also find out that the UC’s and other colleges in California will continue to support them in their education, even if the Congress decides to get rid of DACA.

[Reply]

5. Angie on October 20th, 2017 10:34 am

The situation upon the DACA situation at Godinez Fundamental High school is serious as the support of staff and students upon the formality of deportation have to protect the names of the students interviewed have to be blocked and faked due to the risk of being found and deported. The start of the situation was lead by the Presidency of Donald Trump as he first declared the sudden movement of serious acts to be taken upon deportation. Student are safe at school thanks to the staff and supporting students.

[Reply]

6. Frankie Castelan on October 20th, 2017 12:21 pm

It’s very helpful that our school is helping the students who are DACA and can get those students to keep going. But its very hard to stop thinking that you’re going to get deported because it’s scary leaving everything you live with and know. I believe that it is very bristling to have someone whos leaving that you know someone. These students should keep working and not worry about anything because the school is here for us.

[Reply]

7. Adina Crespo on October 20th, 2017 12:25 pm

From this article I’ve read, I feel that the DACA should get more supporters to help students out when they cannot afford college nor attend it. And for the students to be held back by Donald Trump’s disbanning and elimination of the DACA is incongruous and should be stopped.

[Reply]

8. Francisco Sanchez on November 2nd, 2017 8:07 am

“Now, let’s be clear — this is not amnesty, this is not immunity. This is not a path to citizenship. It’s not a permanent fix. This is a temporary stopgap measure that lets us focus our resources wisely while giving a degree of relief and hope to talented, driven, patriotic young people.”-Taken directly from the Obama white house archives. Frankly a better solution exists through compromise, but that most likely won’t happen.

[Reply]

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Seniors Lack Of Spending Jeopardizes Activities

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Speak Up

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Grizzlies Reflect on their own #MeToo Experiences

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Gallery

The Unappreciated Art of Santa Ana

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Tackling The Lack of Sports Facilities at GFHS

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Op-Ed, Facing Reality: Being Undocumented and Unapologetic

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

The New Face of Godinez, Principal Jesse Church

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Two Gals Eat: Tacos El Gavilan

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

GFHS Students Left Worried in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey

• DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Staff Spotlight: Mirna Perez

DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers