Girls Tennis are Served the Challenge of a Tough Schedule

Elaine Nguyen faces an uphill battle trying to manage her time.

Photo courtesy of Heriberto Cortez

Ricardo Torres and Jose Soto

Everyday in order to practice, the Godinez Girls’ Tennis team travel to McFadden Intermediate School and use their tennis courts. Currently, there are five courts for 36 players.

We asked three players about their struggles to balance it all:

Elaine Nguyen, a junior, walks to McFadden’s tennis courts everyday. She spends an average of 2-3 hours daily practicing tennis. While many people stay home on the weekends, Nguyen is out practicing with her teammates for roughly 2 hours. When asked what motivated her to persevere with girls’ tennis, she responded with, “My parents motivated me to continue with girl’s tennis.” For Nguyen, practicing off campus is such a disadvantage because it leads to less time practicing. “I feel it is extremely unfair considering that our girls work so hard to make the team strong,” said Nguyen.

For Nguyen, balancing girls’ tennis and schoolwork has been difficult, but over time she managed to balance her time. To anyone considering joining girls’ tennis Nguyen said, “Anyone who is considering joining girls’ tennis should do it just for the heck of it.”  

Photo courtesy of Heriberto Cortez
Samantha Rodriguez finds the lack of facilities on campus frustrating.

A Senior, Samantha Rodriguez spends two hours after school getting ready for her matches. It is a big struggle to practice because the girls need to walk 20 minutes with all their equipment. For Rodriguez, practicing off campus is very stressful considering they are always rushing to change and leaving at a certain time so they won’t get stuck in traffic .“We have to get dropped off because the coaches have to make four trips from Godinez to McFadden,” said Rodriguez.

She has no free time after school since there is practice every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, then games on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Rodriguez said, “We practice until 4:30, and play tennis 14 hours a week including practices and games.”

Photo courtesy of Heriberto Cortez

Senior, Galilea Rios spends an average of two hours a day practicing. When asked how much effort she puts in girls’ tennis, she responded with, “It is crucial for me to put in all the effort I possibly can, if I want to see improvement.” For Rios, practicing off campus is difficult because the players have limited access to the courts. Rios added, “At times we jog to McFadden and other times our coaches have to do shuttles.”  

The girls’ tennis players are not the only ones affected by this situation but so are coach Cortez and Parga. When the players are not running to the McFadden courts, the coaches need to give them rides in the shuttles which can take up to 4 different rides. Coach Parga mentioned that she takes the first 3 shuttles and then coach Cortez takes the fourth. “Cortez has to look over the boys’ and girls’ tennis team while I shuttle other players to McFadden,” said coach Parga.

2 Responses to “Girls Tennis are Served the Challenge of a Tough Schedule”

1. Fanny Santamaria on October 20th, 2017 8:36 am

I loathe the fact that these girls have to walk 1.8 miles just to get to practice. Practice should not have to be so hard to get to. It is unfair that we don’t have tennis courts for them, but yet we have facilities for other sports. Having to accommodate their schedule must be really tough especially getting home after practice and still having to do all their homework. I also feel for the coaches, having to make multiple trips to transport their team every week when it shouldn’t be that hard.

[Reply]

2. Arturo Galindo on November 20th, 2017 12:09 pm

I would say that the coaches are steeped with all the trips that they have to take all those trips just to get to practice and drop off all those players it sucks that some sports have their facilities and others don’t and the players must have a hassle after practice getting home still go back to school and then go home to do homework this must be a big problem this would consider to be really unfair.

[Reply]

• Sports

Godinez and Segerstrom Face Off

• Girls Tennis are Served the Challenge of a Tough Schedule

Sports

Did Cristiano Ronaldo Deserve The Best FIFA Football Award?

Sports

Grizzlies React to Dodgers Loss

Gallery

Athletes of the Month: November

Sports

Athletes of the Month: October

Sports

Water Polo Struggles to Stay Afloat Without Student Support

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Mario Lopez

Sports

Godinez Football Program Remains Ambitious Under New Leadership

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

Sports

Athletes of the Month: June