Artists of the Month

Balvina Parra and Guadalupe Lopez

Wendy Roque

Balvina Parra
Wendy Roque is among the members of the first ever Godinez color guard

Wendy Roque, a Junior at Godinez, begins her day getting up at  6 a.m. to get to school and practice to perfect the movement of the flag and rifle toss. The hardest part for Roque is to get the steps correctly without messing up throughout the whole routine, and there is no stopping for the team until they get it right.

Roque uses color guard as a motivation to keep going because she needs to maintain high grades to stay on the team that Roque calls her second family. Roque attends practice before school and after school on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays. All afternoon practices begin at 5 p.m. and end at 8 p.m..

Two things Roque is looking forward to is working on her own routine after this season and hopefully becoming the team captain. Roque’s first competition was on September 30th, and the team did an exceptional job. Michelle Perez, team captain, said “ I was very excited and nervous because it is the first year and first competition of color guard, but we did great we won 3rd place in the competition.”

Roque plans to stay in color guard her senior year because she’s close to her teammates and likes the team concept. Perez says “For anyone who wants to join the team we will be holding auditions for winter guard second semester.” The date still has not been announced.

Breanna Figueroa

Guadalupe Lopez
Breanna Figueroa, seen here posing with a flag.

Breanna Figueroa, a Junior, says that colorguard isn’t about tossing a flag or rifle in the air it’s so much more than that.

Figueroa said, “Managing your time while in color guard is difficult because you have to find some time for school work either before or after practice .”

Figueroa described how practicing for guard is stressful and tiring, saying, “When the team is tired, we still have to give it our all as if we were performing.”

As color guard’s continued to practice ahead of their competition on September 30th, Figueroa said, “I’m nervous but also excited because there’s going to be judges just watching your every move making sure you or someone else doesn’t mess up.”

Will Figueroa continue with color guard next year? Figueroa said, “Yes, because it was a lot of fun working with the team as well as getting to know new people and just being myself around the people I’ve became close to.”