GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

One Reporter's Experience Singing at an Angel Game

Choir posing for a group photo before their performance.

Jacqueline Pompa

Jacqueline Pompa

Stephanie Padilla, Staff Writer

As Godinez Fundamental High School Chamber Singers stepped into the Angel Stadium, a ray of sun hit our faces, and we knew for a fact that this was a once in a lifetime experience.

We arrived around 5:30 p.m. but didn’t begin to rehearse right away due to the fact that there were about 15 choirs in the parking lot. It added up to over 1,000 people trying to find their place in a parking lot. Once everything settled, we began to rehearse “The Star Spangled Banner.”  At first we struggled, since we had practiced the song at a much slower pace. Eventually, we got the hang of it and blended in perfectly with the rest of the choirs.

Jacqueline Pompa
A few singers gather together to try and relax.

After practicing, all choirs had to get into four lines and wait in a line until it was time to go in. We waited patiently waited in our four when we heard “It’s time to go in.” As we went through the tunnel that leads into the stadium, we felt a rush of adrenaline go through our bodies as we saw the the thousands of people ready to hear us perform. As we saw the conductor raise his arms, we knew we would sing every note perfectly, and so we did.

Araceli Elias Valdivia (Senior) enjoys the game with some alumni, Omar Orejel (Senior), and Christian Ochoa (Junior)

After the performance we rushed to our seats. By the time we sat down, the game had started and we witnessed Mike Trout’s 200th home run. The game ended at 10:25 p.m. giving the Angels a close win of 6-5.  

As we left the stadium, many of us realized that we would never get to do this again. Instead of being saddened, we sang all the way home on the bus knowing that the experience was like no other.

21 Responses to “GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium”

1. Natalie on October 20th, 2017 8:25 am

I love that our school was intrepid to go in front of a whole stadium to sing “The Star Spangled Banner.” Knowing that they practiced interminably, they must have performed amazingly. As shown in the three pictures, I am full of joy to see that they enjoyed their trip.

[Reply]

2. Kayla on October 20th, 2017 8:32 am

In the beginning, the choir people were bristled when they arrived at the stadium because they knew they had to perform in front of many people, but I loved how they were intrepid and how they all helped comfort each other before they had to go sing in front of many people. Even if many people from choir don’t like baseball, they probably still had a great time being at the stadium because they got to perform.

[Reply]

3. Axel Espinosa on October 20th, 2017 8:33 am

It was a great honor for our choir group “The Chamber Singers” to be able to sing ” The Star Spangled Banner” at the Angel’s Stadium. Some kids had fear in their bodies because they were performing in front of tons of people for the first time, but once they heard their name and took a deep breathe they started to sing and successfully achieved their once in a lifetime dream. That night the Grizzly’s showed that they were intrepid and not scared of anything.

Go Grizzly’s !!!

[Reply]

4. Angelica Cruz on October 20th, 2017 8:33 am

The GFHS Choir had a very amazing opportunity to go perform at the Angel Stadium because the game is very eminent, so many people must have gone to see it. They were able to experience something and go out of their comfort zone. It must have had been a lot of practice to learn the National Anthem, but it was worth all the hard work.

[Reply]

5. Aline Hernandez on October 20th, 2017 8:38 am

Being in front of a crowd can be difficult, I wonder how all of you made it without feeling nervous. I hope it was a great life time experience for all of you because most people don’t sing outside of school towards a whole crowd. The majority of people must have felt excitement inside, while others probably thought that they’re crazy for performing. This is a beginning of an interminable adventure.

[Reply]

6. Erick Lopez on October 20th, 2017 8:38 am

It truly was an amazing, once in a life-time opportunity. Very view have the privilege to set foot on an MLB field, especially one belonging to a World Championship Team. Performing was also an extreme honor as the Angel’s Stadium typically has world class musicians playing for them. The Angel’s were also very indiscriminate in their choosing of choir members. There were students of all ages performing and there were many different races too.

[Reply]

7. Juan Avendano on October 20th, 2017 8:45 am

It’s remarkable to see how the Godinez High School Chamber Singers are very passionate, as they get up as early just to get at 5:30 at Angle stadium in order to rehearse “The Star Spangled Banner.” At first, they struggled, since they had practiced the song very little.Eventually, they got the hang of it and blended in perfectly with the rest of the choirs. As they headed toward the tunnels a rush of adrenaline had entered them as they were facing all the 1,000 face sand sang their notes smoothly and perfectly. After the Game they had started after the choir’s singers they had a blast the whole day as they had fun and one time experienced.

[Reply]

8. Wendy Larios on October 20th, 2017 9:37 am

The choir department met at the Angel Stadium to perform in front of everyone who went to see the Angel’s game. At first, they were a little tremulous because the song they would be performing did not have the same rhythm as the rest of the choir groups. However, they managed to get the right pace and sounded great with the other groups. After, their performance they got to stay and watch the game. On their way home, they were singing more songs, without a mundane moment. Godinez’s choir was glad because this was a one in a lifetime experience.

[Reply]

9. Diego Solorio on October 20th, 2017 9:37 am

That must have been an amazing experience, an experience that would certainly go into the annals of Godinez for such a feat. I can’t even begin to prognosticate the amount of drudgery that would have lived in my subconsciousness had I been in Chamber Singers with you guys. In addition to receiving the experience of performing to a seemingly interminable audience, you guys also earned my full respect for all of your efforts and dedication to the choir.

[Reply]

10. Kelby Padilla on October 20th, 2017 9:40 am

I remember sitting in the living room and hearing our Godinez Choir singing National Anthem. I find this really cool and I hope our choir can do more stuff like this because not only do they perform great, its really showing school spirit. I wish the best for our choir and keep up the good work.

[Reply]

11. Caitlyn Serrano on October 20th, 2017 10:25 am

Experiencing this sense of adrenaline for the 2nd time was absolutely breathtaking. I enjoyed every second on that field. At first when we practiced with the other choirs it was a lackluster performance and it was also very stressful but eventually we all got together and sang in a perfect sync. I got to witness my favorite baseball team take the win and left the stadium knowing that we did amazing on there. Although we weren’t the only ones performing, getting to sing in a group with some of my best friends was a memory I can cherish forever.

[Reply]

12. Cesar on October 20th, 2017 10:28 am

This was such an amazing opportunity for the Godinez Choir group. They got to use their talent and project on such a large stage wresting the crowds attention and receiving positive feedback with their voices.

[Reply]

13. Diego Sanchez on October 20th, 2017 10:28 am

The Choir Department got a really cool and unique opportunity to perform at Angel Stadium. This is obviously a very big achievement and privilege. Many will obviously loathe the Godinez Choir for this.

[Reply]

14. Gabriela Tapia on October 20th, 2017 10:30 am

Godinez Fundamental High School has an amazing Choir Department that makes me become bristled with awe. They were meant to go on this once of a lifetime experience because this was a way to gain experience on how to do things better. The students did not make this event a lackluster, but was probably an incipient occurrence that flashed before their eyes.

[Reply]

15. Joseph Lopez on October 20th, 2017 10:33 am

To sing in the Angel Stadium is a very big accomplishment because you know that there are gonna be thousands of people hearing you. I’m happy that you guys didn’t lackluster with your performance and you guys did a great job to show everyone what you guys got. I like how you guys were are relaxed and focused for your performance, and also you guys were’t tremulous because of all the people you were performing in front of you. You guys must have been proud of yourselves because its rare to get a opportunity like that and you guys didn’t take advantage of the the opportunity.

[Reply]

16. Mariana Ortiz on October 20th, 2017 10:39 am

As I also take part in one of Ms. Macs choir classes she would explain with excitement how Godinez Fundamental Chambers Singers was chosen as one of the many schools to sing the National Anthem at an Angels game. As the day came closer not only were the students tremulous but Ms.Mac was also. All the student in my choir class gave her encouragement telling her “Everything is gonna turn out great”. The cessation of the game came to a sad ending as the Angels lost 6-5 but my friend texting saying, “I will never forget this wonderful experience.”

[Reply]

17. Leah Mejia on October 20th, 2017 10:42 am

It is incredible that the Chamber singers from GFHS went to the Angel Stadium to go sing the “Star Spangled Banner” in front of many avid fans and people. The Chamber singers were not the only ones there, there was throngs of chamber singers from different high schools to go sing the “Star Spangled Banner”. The Chamber singers did their best to be vigilant so they could adroitly sing the “Star Spangled Banner”. Their performance was not lackluster at all and the Chamber singers perceived that this event was a one time opportunity that they would never have again.

[Reply]

18. Esveidi J Catalan on October 20th, 2017 10:47 am

The Angel´s game brought repute to the choir student who attended the game. Many choir students from different school attended , and the Grizzlies were determine to do a significant performances. The avid Grizzlies did a marvelous work performing at the Angel´s baseball game.

[Reply]

19. Karen Avila on October 20th, 2017 11:48 am

It must have been tremulous when it was time for the Chamber Singers to go inside the stadium to perform. It must have been packed since there were fifteen other choirs there to perform also. The Chamber singers also were able to experience Mike Trout’s 200th home run and that only happens once in a lifetime.aer

[Reply]

20. Nancy on October 20th, 2017 12:11 pm

It is really cool that the Godinez choir got to perform at the Angels Stadium. It would have been better at the Dodgers game since I loathe Angel’s I’d rather prefer it would have been at Dodgers Stadium.

[Reply]

21. Juliana Bautista on October 20th, 2017 12:16 pm

This is really great that you guys were able to perform in the angles stadium in front of a lot of people. At the being it’s scary and nerves to go up in front of everyone but then afterword it not.

[Reply]

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

A Guide to Christmas Festivities in OC

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Grizzlies Gift Giving Guide

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Grizzlies Cope With an Unthankful Three Day Break

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Grizzlies Attend College Late Nights

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Gentrification Changing Downtown Santa Ana

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Thanksgiving Traditions at Godinez

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

One Mom’s Experience Living after Gentrification

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Solving the Bathroom Problem at Godinez

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

How WASC’s Decision Affects our School

• GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium

Campus News

Grizzlies looking Fa”BOO”lous on Halloween

GFHS Choir Performs at Angel Stadium