Journalist Increases Experience at Jcamp in Pennsylvania

Kimberly Gonzalez prepares herself to run a quick practice broadcast held at Temple University on July 26, 2017.

Courtesy of Rafael Bitanga

Courtesy of Rafael Bitanga

Kimberly Gonzalez, Staff Writer

For five days at Temple University in Philadelphia, journalist Kimberly Gonzalez attended the Asian American Journalists Association Camp with the intention of learning new skills.

This past July the student journalist traveled to Philadelphia along with students from all over the country to learn different techniques on: reporting, writing, broadcasting, photographing, and managing social media.

“It has been by far one of the most interesting things I have ever done. I’ve never traveled that far alone, so everything about the trip, from beginning to end was new to me.”

Gonzalez took on the broadcasting workshop, which included, having to make her own video on the story she chose. Her story was on the oldest ice cream shop in the country, Bassetts Ice Cream. Since it was her first time creating a video by herself, she found the assignment challenging. However, with the great mentors like Caridad Hernadez, executive producer at CBS, and Richard Lui, anchor and correspondent at MSNBC, she was able to finish the project.

Gonzalez said, “I had a difficult time at first because I had never created a broadcast on my own. It was bit intimidating because I had to follow strict deadlines, as well as learn how to use the software they provided for us.”

Gonzalez was extremely happy with the story she reported. She says it was cool to that she got to interview the sixth generation owner of the oldest ice cream shop in the country. She expresses that the her colleagues made the assignment so much  easier because they were so flexible. This project helped her see that in journalism, things do not always go as planned.

“Something is always coming up, and if your editor tells you there is something missing even if you think it is fine, you go back and you keep digging until you perfect your story,” said Gonzalez.

She also shared that the overall experience was truly rewarding because of the different journalists she met. From the different mentors to the students, she states that they were all interesting, kind people. Gonzalez goes on to say that  Jcamp gave her an opportunity of a lifetime, as she learned many different things and met many remarkable people.

“The people were awesome. They were all so open and generous. It was a true pleasure meeting them, and listening to their unique stories and backgrounds,” said Gonzalez.

Gonzalez states that she learned a lot at Jcamp and now has a different perspective on the journalism industry.   

As for being a tourist in Philadelphia it was: “Fascinating! Philadelphia is a beautiful, historic, yet modern city.”  

1 Comment

One Response to “Journalist Increases Experience at Jcamp in Pennsylvania”

1. Jasmin Gutierrez on October 20th, 2017 10:42 am

It is nice to see how Kimberly Gonzalez avidly took us through her journey of the JCamp and gave us insight on what it was like being with other journalists. I am a personal friend of Kimberly and when she came back, she gave me an abundant description of what her experience was like. I can relate to her because I too have had to learn how to use a new software. Similar to Kimberly, I became adroit at using iMovie for further projects. I have never been away from home such a long distance and would also be nervous. Overall, Kimberly’s anecdote reminds me of how I had to struggle as well learning a new program that seemed was going to take an interminable amount of time. I am glad she had this marvelous experience.

[Reply]

• Journalist Increases Experience at Jcamp in Pennsylvania

Campus News

A Guide to Christmas Festivities in OC

Campus News

Grizzlies Gift Giving Guide

Campus News

Grizzlies Cope With an Unthankful Three Day Break

Campus News

Grizzlies Attend College Late Nights

Campus News

Gentrification Changing Downtown Santa Ana

Campus News

Thanksgiving Traditions at Godinez

Campus News

One Mom’s Experience Living after Gentrification

Campus News

Solving the Bathroom Problem at Godinez

Campus News

How WASC’s Decision Affects our School

Campus News

Grizzlies looking Fa”BOO”lous on Halloween