Journalists Gain Experience and Awards at Jcamps

From+left%3A+Rodrigo+Macias+%2812th%29+won+%22Head+of+the+Class%22+for+Broadcasting%2C+Alex+Reyes+%2812th%29+participant+in+reporting%2C+Neitan+Mayorga+%2812th%29+participant+in+reporting%2C+Alexa+Cervantes+%2812th%29+1st+Place+in+the+Maestro+Project%2C+Jacqueline+Pompa+%2811th%29+2nd+Place+in+the+Maestro+Project+and+adviser+Joyce+Feuerborn.+

From left: Rodrigo Macias (12th) won

From left: Rodrigo Macias (12th) won "Head of the Class" for Broadcasting, Alex Reyes (12th) participant in reporting, Neitan Mayorga (12th) participant in reporting, Alexa Cervantes (12th) 1st Place in the Maestro Project, Jacqueline Pompa (11th) 2nd Place in the Maestro Project and adviser Joyce Feuerborn.

Joyce Feuerborn

Joyce Feuerborn

Joyce Feuerborn

Joyce Feuerborn, Adviser

For four days, starting at 7 a.m., five Grizzlies met on Godinez Fundamental High School’s campus to begin a long, crowded drive on the 405 to Long Beach City College.

Student journalists at Godinez Fundamental High School along with students from Middle College High School spent four intense days learning about newspaper reporting and writing, social media, broadcasting and editing during the Newspapers2 Camp at Long Beach City College.

“The camp was a great experience where I got to meet many interesting people,” said Nathan Mayorga, editor-in-chief of the Grizzly Gazette.

From the MCHS Spellbinder staff, Alexis Rodriguez won “Head of the Class” for his multimedia group. Students Kasandra Tapia, Elizabeth Alvarado and Berenice Cortez also gave it their all and acquired new skills in social media, editor-in-chief leadership, and photography.

Godinez students placed in camp competitions as well. Rodrigo Macias won “Head of the Class” for broadcasting, Alexa Cervantes won first place in the Maestro Project (a team project reporting and writing a story on recycling), and Jacqueline Pompa won second place in the Maestro Project for her team’s reporting and writing about a sculptor on campus. Rounding out Godinez’s group were Alex Reyes, a participant in reporting, and Neitan Mayorga, a participant in reporting.

Reflecting on the four days, Award winner Rodrigo Macias said, “The most enjoyable part was taking a look and practicing professional broadcasting. It doesn’t just stop with the interview.”

After the four days at camp were completed, journalists are ready to put all their new found learning into place.