The New Face of Godinez, Principal Jesse Church

The+new+principal+of+Godinez%2C+Mr.+Jesse+Church%2C+in+his+new+office.++
The new principal of Godinez, Mr. Jesse Church, in his new office.

Vanessa Garcia and Kimberly Gonzalez

Vanessa Garcia and Kimberly Gonzalez

Kimberly Gonzalez and Vanessa Garcia

With Godinez Fundamental High School turning ten years old on September 30, 2017 brought along new changes, including a new principal.   

Growing up, Principal Jesse Church never pictured himself administering a school. Knowing that he wanted to work with kids, Church saw himself being an athletic director or a baseball coach.

“I wanted to put kids in the best position so that they could make direct and consequential change in their lives,” Church said.

Having grown in foster care, Church himself attended thirteen different schools before college. Church claims that some teachers at his schools motivated and supported him, “and that made dreaming a little less painful,” said Church.  Just as Church found his motivation to follow his dreams, he wants other children to reach those opportunities, through an education.

Church received his own education at UC Davis and then his administrative credentials at UCLA. It was during this time that he was encouraged by his mentor to pursue the profession of being a principal.

He has worked in different districts throughout his career, including: Los Angeles County Office of Education, L.A. Unified, Long Beach Unified, and of course Santa Ana Unified.

After having been the assistant principal at Godinez, Church returned to campus as the new principal. Even though the new school year has barely commenced, Church has proven to be an influential figure in the school community.

“ I didn’t uplift myself, I sort of grew. I still had roots here,” said Church.

Church experienced what being a Grizzly meant, and now he is ready to improve the school as a whole.

He said, “As a principal, I need to do a better job of recognizing all of the success that we have, there is a lot of success that goes on here that we don’t know about.”

Godinez and its achievements have motivated Church in wanting to highlight what sets Godinez apart from other schools. Aside from spirited students and a welcoming environment, Church finds Godinez to be one of a kind.

“We don’t look like every other school, that’s something we should take tremendous pride in… I want people to bleed black and gold,” said Church.

He shares that along with having school pride, comes expectations for students to attend school games, events, as well as participate on spirit days. Aside from showing spirit, Church also wants students to recognize the privilege it is to be attending a fundamental high school.

“The idea is not to penalize the kids, but hold them accountable,” said Church.

As fundamental students, Grizzlies are under a fundamental system, and therefore, are aware of the expectations held on dress code and tardies. Church claims that there has not been an issue with either, proving the dedication of the students and their acknowledgment of fundamental standards.

As Church said, it is still a little early to name major changes for the school, however, he knows that future plans are in store.

27 Responses to “The New Face of Godinez, Principal Jesse Church”

1. Andy Martinez on September 20th, 2017 8:31 am

I feel like Mr.Church can really improve our school. He seems like the right person for the job because he shows a tremendous amount of school spirit and he is really proud of all his students here at Godinez. Last Friday, at the Segestrom versus Godinez game, he was running with the Godinez flag supporting the football and telling the crowd to cheer for them. He always mentions that Godinez is not just some school. He says that we are the only fundamental high school in the district and that is true.

[Reply]

2. Francisco Nestor on September 20th, 2017 8:32 am

I don’t really know who Mr Church is but I think that he can make good difference in our school. He has a lot of experiences in different school districts and is well prepared with education.

[Reply]

3. Janet Adame on September 20th, 2017 8:36 am

I find it inspirational that Mr. Church was able to follow his dreams even though he came from a rough past growing up in a foster care. When I think of people who grow up in a foster care, I think of kids with lost hopes because of where they come from but Mr. Church changed the perspective I had on it. I also like how Mr. Church says that he doesn’t know what changes will happen to the school but he knows that there are future plans. I like how he says this because this shows how dedicated he is in making a change to our school which is something that the past principal was able to do.

[Reply]

4. Alberto Morales on September 20th, 2017 9:21 am

Mr. Church seems like a very nice and good guy. Church seems determined to make an impact while it is his time here at GHFS. Church has said that he has put a lot of money into renovations for the school. Students will be glad to see their school with a fresh coat of paint to give them a little more spirit. We all expect great things from you Mr. Church.

[Reply]

5. Edgar Cortez on September 20th, 2017 9:31 am

Learning about our new principal Mr. Church gives me a new welcoming towards this school. It feels a lot more comforting knowing that our principal wants to highlight our success and push us to greater heights. It’s also less scary knowing that our principal isn’t just an adult that can expel you, but instead, is another Grizzly like us, wanting to see us become recognized and achieve greater things. It makes me proud being a student of this school, seeing how Mr. Church believes that this school is one of a kind. I believe Mr. Church has great plans for our future, and I can’t wait to see this school become greater than it already is.

[Reply]

6. JaeLyn Sandoval-Rios on September 20th, 2017 9:39 am

Godinez Fundamental High School is a school by choice. This means that it is not like any other school. Godinez strives for success and our new principal, Mr.Chuch, makes sure we achieve success by enforcing many rules such as tardy and dress code. “The idea is not to penalize the kids, but hold them accountable,” Mr. Church said. He is dedicated to making sure we can be successful throughout our life.

[Reply]

7. Wendy Larios on September 20th, 2017 9:56 am

This article allows all the students at Godinez to have more background information about our new principal. It gives us a short story of how education was for him growing up. It was not easy for him but he found a motivation to keep on going. Now he wants us to also find a motivation and participate in school activities. Reading about how it was for him when he was young and what he wants for us now has allowed me to connect more with the principal and know him more.

[Reply]

8. Monserrath Mejia Esquivel on September 20th, 2017 9:58 am

In my opinion, I feel that Mr.Church is a great inspiration to others because he demonstrates that whatever your past is, it doesn’t matter but what you become in the future does. Therefore, me and others throughout these years hope to have more successful and exciting years here at Godinez Fundamental due to the leadership that Mr.Church provides for us.

[Reply]

9. Gabriela Tapia on September 20th, 2017 10:31 am

I enjoyed reading this article to be able know inspiring personal information about my principal. In this article it stated that he went through foster care and still found a way to become motivated to complete his education through the support of his teachers. “Church claims that some teachers at his schools motivated and supported him, “and that made dreaming a little less painful,” said Church” Since the principal of Godinez went through hardships he is able to relate with other students and help make Godinez a place where others are able to achieve their goals.

[Reply]

10. Mariana Ortiz on September 20th, 2017 10:35 am

At first when the school was introduced to the new principal Mr. Church I was a bit skeptical since it was a big change in the school and each principal does things differently. However, over the past month, I have a changed my opinion and am very glad he is our new principal, who is a very spirited guy, he loves his job and encourages every student to strive for what they want to succeed in life.

[Reply]

11. Matthew Romero on September 20th, 2017 10:36 am

Mr. Church has been a good principal to us all and he sure has proven to be a spirited one. In the Segerstrom vs. Godinez football game you saw Mr. Church running down the side of Godinez with the Godinez flag in his hands proving to have pride for his school and has the spirit to be a great principal.

[Reply]

12. Alondra Bahena on September 20th, 2017 10:37 am

I think Mr. Church has a lot to offer to this school. He dresses professionally and is trustworthy . He also has a great sense of humor and it seems as if he has a good bond with many students here at Godinez . He gives a vibe that promotes success for us all.

[Reply]

13. Maria Nieto on September 20th, 2017 10:38 am

After six weeks of attending school, I can already see that Mr. Church is making a difference as principal of Godinez already. I admire the fact that he is very spirited like I’ve never seen in a principal. I attended the Godinez vs. Segerstrom rivalry games for volleyball and football and I saw Mr. Church there supporting our teams. He held the G flag and ran with it. He is very supportive and encouraging in this way. I look forward to the future plans he has in store.

[Reply]

14. Fernando Alonso on September 20th, 2017 10:38 am

This article informed me the way our principal got to this position. Since, in the first paragraph it give us information how got to this place through inspiration and motivation of teachers and his mentor. It also give us his thoughts and feelings towards our fundamental school. Mr. Church said that he feels this school is unique and he wants students to “bleed black and gold.” He also stated there have no issues with dedication or acknowledgement of our fundamental standards which makes me feel proud.

[Reply]

15. Fatima on September 20th, 2017 10:39 am

In my opinion, Mr. Church has so far been a good a principal. Ever since he came to GFHS it has been a lot better. As Church claims that there have not been issues with tardies
    I can totally agree. People are starting to be on time to school because of his new policy which is if you are late you get a 1hour detention. The reason I know that his policy is working is that I would always be late to school last year but this year I make sure that I am on time every day.

[Reply]

16. Giovanni Agustin on September 20th, 2017 10:39 am

I think Mr.Church is a man who is here to improve our school and make changes for the better of all students. A welcome change that Mr.Chuch had said is to improve the locker rooms and this change is welcome one because of the conditions of some lockers being broken, bent, or the cover not being there. Also, he is trying to bring even more school spirit than what the students already have. When we were losing to Segerstrom ¨not¨ Fundamental HighSchoool 7-21 in football he picked up the flag and ran down the sideline picking up everyone mood and cheering our team even more.

[Reply]

17. Joseph Lopez on September 20th, 2017 10:39 am

I like that Mr. Church is so motivated to make this school so successful. He has been motivated to succeed since he was a little kid. Mr. Church had a struggle growing up because he grew up in a foster care and he had a struggle with school too because he had to attend many schools. I appreciate what Mr. Church is gonna do for this school, I believe that he will make Godinez a better Fundamental school and that he will motivate us the students be more successful throughout our high school years and in our futures. Mr. Church is gonna set some more stricter rules around the school to make us more responsible throughout the future.

[Reply]

18. Diego Sanchez on September 20th, 2017 10:40 am

I believe Mr. Church has good plans for the school. It seems like he wants to make a change in the school and he wants to help the students achieve their goals. One thing I feel could need improving is school spirit. Not many students are involved in the spirit weeks we have throughout the school. I feel as if more students got involved in this, there would be a sign of greater unity and would show how great of a school we are. I believe Mr. Church has the right mindset to improve this.

[Reply]

19. Angie Ramirez on September 20th, 2017 10:42 am

Mr.Jesse Church has a great set of mind set for the students of Godinez Fundamental High School. Mr.Church having a background in foster care gives of the image and thought that Mr.Church loves the ideal of students and children perusing their dreams through education from his days in school. Mr.Church will make a fantastic principle as he has had experience of being under the education system through previous positions in other local high schools.

[Reply]

20. Jacquelyn Carrera on September 20th, 2017 10:52 am

Mr. Church is our new principal at Godinez Fundamental High School. Therefore, I am gladly surprised that with our new principal at our school, we will succeed and improve our education as Mr. Church said, “The idea is not to penalize the kids, but hold them accountable”. We as a fundamental school should know to follow the fundamental standards and to be aware to never put that aside and to never give up.

[Reply]

21. Jhoel Muniz on September 20th, 2017 10:53 am

I think Mr. Church will do a great job at making changes to the school since he was once the assistant principal and knows what to expect from students as well as staff. He also has trust in the students because Godinez is a fundamental school and we should take pride in that.

[Reply]

22. Julian Blanco on September 20th, 2017 10:53 am

I’m excited, but also nervous, for what changes Mr. Church is going to bring to our school in the near future. I also wonder how he will recognize all of the success that happens during the school year. Overall, I think Mr. Church will be a good principle, and will help Godinez become a better school.

[Reply]

23. Esveidi J Catalan on September 20th, 2017 11:37 am

As a new principal Mr.Church is determine to make a difference in Godinez by bringing discipline and motivation to our school. Throughout his life time he has worked in different districts around our community making him a great fit for the job. I think he will be a great principal because he has school pride and he brings school spirit to the students.

[Reply]

24. Josh Sandoval on September 20th, 2017 12:07 pm

Very glad to have Mr.Church as our new principal! He is very nice and cares about the students here at Godinez Fundamental High School. He will push us into giving it our best effort to be successful in our high school career by enforcing the rules such as dress code.

[Reply]

25. Gerardo Casillas on September 20th, 2017 12:11 pm

I am really looking forward to these next school years with Mr. Church. I hope that he will make good changes to this school and improve it. He has made improvements to our school already like waiting for tardy people so they can get a tardy card.

[Reply]

26. Joseph Preciado on September 20th, 2017 12:15 pm

What i think you have done is a very amazing thing on you doing what you like and making all the possible thing to make that accomplishment on being a principal and you made it happen.

[Reply]

27. Anthony Hernandez on September 20th, 2017 12:22 pm

I am excited to see what our new principal has in store for this school. I have heard great things about Mr. church and I hope to see the great changes he makes to this school. Yes everyone should be aware of the expectations here at this school but with all the school spirit here things will be much better with our new principal here. Very excited for what’s to come.

[Reply]

• The New Face of Godinez, Principal Jesse Church

Showcase

Seniors Lack Of Spending Jeopardizes Activities

Showcase

Speak Up

Showcase

Grizzlies Reflect on their own #MeToo Experiences

Gallery

The Unappreciated Art of Santa Ana

Showcase

DACA Repeal Worries Godinez Dreamers

Showcase

Tackling The Lack of Sports Facilities at GFHS

Showcase

Op-Ed, Facing Reality: Being Undocumented and Unapologetic

Showcase

Two Gals Eat: Tacos El Gavilan

Showcase

GFHS Students Left Worried in the Wake of Hurricane Harvey

Showcase

Staff Spotlight: Mirna Perez