Hundreds of Teachers get Pink Slips in Santa Ana Unified School District

GFHS teacher, Mrs. Christy, planning out the school day and prepping the agenda for the class day.

Stephanie Padilla, Staff Writer

A vote taken March 7, 2017, may leave more than 287 teachers without a job. SAUSD has  given out RIFs (Reduction In Force) to staff all over Santa Ana Unified School District.

Godinez Fundamental High School has been affected greatly by the layoffs. According to the OC Register, Santa Ana Unified is facing declining enrollment, from a high of over “54,600 students nine years ago to almost 50,000 today,” said district spokeswoman Deidra Powell.

SAUSD has lost on average 1,300 students for the past three years. The reasons are students are transferring to charter and private schools or moving because of the cost of living in Orange County.

Katherine Christy, who is currently teaches English 9 and AP Literature received a RIF notice. “I was shocked but at the same time I saw it coming because I only have three years at Godinez,” said Christy.

To be an AP teacher you have to complete training that costs the district thousands per teacher to train. Now, Christy has the training that SAUSD provided but she may be let go. “I’m really sad to be leaving my Godinez family and students,” said Christy.

Principals all over Santa Ana are scrambling to find solutions to the upcoming layoffs. Principal Cindy Landsiedel said, “We are trying to do everything possible to keep all the teachers, we need all of them. Every single one of the teachers are important to us.”

School board Vice President Valerie Amezcua said, “All the decisions we make are for the benefit of our students. It’s like living on a budget, you have to stay within the budget. We are trying to move teachers to keep them in jobs.”  

Teachers who received pink slips hope to have theirs rescinded by June when Governor Jerry Brown releases state education funds for the year.

In the meantime, teachers continue to teach and hope that by summer they can actually enjoy their time off knowing they have a job to come back to in mid-August.

5 Responses to “Hundreds of Teachers get Pink Slips in Santa Ana Unified School District”

1. steph&lesly on May 1st, 2017 8:38 am

in order to stop losing students schools shouldn’t be that hard because some kids feel like they can’t be smart and they don’t have no one to remind them that they can be. They should make every kid be involved in everything not just ASB . Also maybe if they make the school really fun people would like to come to school everyday and maybe school hours should be changed because not all students like waking up early that’s the worst part of the day

[Reply]

2. Juan Marquez on May 1st, 2017 1:01 pm

That’s not nice.

[Reply]

3. Jorge Velasco on May 1st, 2017 2:03 pm

This article shows us why may students are leaving SAUSD. Costs in OC have risen drastically.

[Reply]

4. Yulissa Bermudez on May 2nd, 2017 8:41 am

I feel that this is unnecessary to the teachers because its not their fault they there students are moving schools.

[Reply]

5. Luis Carrillo on September 20th, 2017 9:42 am

This article shows us the many reasons why students are leaving SAUSD district and moving to other ones. One big reason like mentioned in the article is that the cost of living in Orange County is rising drastically every year and that is one of the huge reasons why students are leaving. Also, this is really unfair to teachers who are losing their jobs because of this very reason it’s not their fault that students are leaving so why are they the ones that have to pay the price and maybe lose their job in the process.

[Reply]

• Hundreds of Teachers get Pink Slips in Santa Ana Unified School District

Campus News

The Need For Reading

Campus News

Taking 17 Minutes Of Solidarity at GFHS

Campus News

Seniors, the Road to Freedom is Paved With a Variety of Events

Campus News

Advice to Ease the Pressure of Your Senior Exit Interviews

Campus News

Snapchat Leaves Everyone on Opened

Campus News

Here’s What to do on Spring Break

Campus News

Trump’s White House: Another Year of Controversial Decisions

Campus News

Bye Bye Dessert: A Fudge of a Problem for the Cocoa Bean

Campus News

The Future of DACA and TPS

Campus News

Seniors Reflect on Their Final Countdown