Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

GFHS+teacher%2C+Paula+Miller+helping+a+student+with+her+unanswered+questions.+
GFHS teacher, Paula Miller helping a student with her unanswered questions.

Photo Courtesy of Kimberly Gonzales, & Vanessa Garcia

Vanessa Garcia and Kimberly Gonzalez

After only three years working at Godinez, Ms. Paula Miller shows her passion and dedication towards the Grizzly community in everything she does.

Many may know Miller as the English teacher who gave a spectacular performance singing at the talent show and Winter Carnival in 2016 with Mr. Taylor Nguyen, however, she consists of so much more.

Miller begins her day every morning at 5 a.m. She explains that when she “…gets to school it is just the rush of every period teaching, grading, reflecting on what happened in class… and the rest of the day is spent …responding to needs of parents, contacting parents or different requests of students or administrators.”

Despite her busy schedule, Miller manages to make sure she assists her students in every way possible. She believes being at Godinez represents such an amiable, united environment where everyone is willing to help each other.

“My relationship with students and staff has been positive. The school seeks to build relationships.” She states that even the smallest acts, for instance opening doors (whether it’s the students opening them for the teachers or vice versa) shows that “we’re all in this together.”

Although Miller manages to keep a straight face, she had to push herself to overcome personal challenges. Being a single mom and having to cope with the passing of her own mother this past summer, Miller claims to have gained strength to persist from seeing what her students have also experienced.

Miller had a strong bond with her mom, as she was a divorced parent, not only caring for Miller but her siblings as well. After taking on the responsibility of caring for her mother who suffered from illnesses since 2013, Miller was in shock upon finding her mother on the floor one morning after a hit to the head. Little did Miller know that this trauma would lead to one of the biggest losses in her life. “It’s really nice when you have that one person that no matter what happens, they believe in you and they keep encouraging you to keep moving on, and she’s just always been that person for me,” claimed Miller.

Using memories of her mother and teachings, Miller aims to raise her 3-year-old son with the same values that she was raised with. Having to care for her son on top of her workload, Miller expresses the importance of giving her son the attention he deserves.

Miller states, “It keeps you grounded and balanced, he depends on me to make him feel secure and make him feel he has a strong self-esteem and is cared for.”

Miller values her mother’s teachings, expressing how “You’re their life, and so they are constantly looking to their parent to create a safe place.” Miller proves to acknowledge the significance of her role as a single mother as well as a teacher.  

Maintaining the same mentality at school, Miller shows to be caring and supportive of her students. Due to her experiences, she shares, “You develop a deeper sense of empathy because you just really see people and the struggles they go through and you’re also just so inspired by seeing the tenacity of everyone working towards a goal,” said Miller.

During her time at Godinez, Miller shares “my experience has been really positive and I think it is because the staff, faculty, and administration are so supportive with their time and resources.” Feeling privileged of being in such a hard working environment, the well-rounded teacher continues to transmit her positivity throughout campus.

2 Responses to “Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller”

1. Joy De Woody on May 1st, 2017 9:40 pm

I was thrilled to read this article about my very special student. Ms. Paula Miller was in the 7th grade when I discovered this petite beautiful young lady with a huge amazing voice. She does not just sing a song, she delivers a song. We shared six years together at Riverside Christian School. Those years were such a blessing in my life.

It was my true joy to watch this precious girl grow into an acomplished young woman and mother, overcoming many challenges. Ms. Miller always has been a person who reaches out to touch people through her passions and her love for God.

I am not surprised to hear that Paula is respected and admired as a teacher.

I pray this will be a wonderful year.
    Sending our love to you Paula.

Mrs. De Woody and Coach

2. Isaac Esqueda on May 3rd, 2017 3:52 pm

Very interesting article, I did not know this about Ms.Miller. Also, this article was a good one to read through.

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Club Beat: TAG Club

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Doing His Own Thing, Jorge Pacheco Draws it Out

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Everybody Has A Story: Esmeralda Rivera

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Thanks for the Memories

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Staff Spotlight: Elvia Morales

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Club Beat: Color Guard

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Everybody has a Story: Francisco Sanchez

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Artists of the Month: Lexie Flores and Anthony Hill

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Staff Spotlight: Graciela Gonzalez

• Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller

Features

Club Beat: GSA is MIA on Campus

Staff Spotlight: Paula Miller