Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Boy%27s+Varsity+Soccer+gathers+together+in+celebration+of+their+CIF+Southern+State+Regional+Championship+plaque.+
Boy's Varsity Soccer gathers together in celebration of their CIF Southern State Regional Championship plaque.

Photo Courtesy of Gerry Gamez

Photo Courtesy of Gerry Gamez

Vanessa Garcia and Kimberly Gonzalez

Ranked 3rd in the nation and 1st  in the state, the Godinez Fundamental High School boys’ soccer team yet again holds the title of CIF champs and much more.

After a challenging season, not only did the boys bring back the title of CIF champs, but they also brought home the title of CIF Southern California State Championship Regional Division II, making the Grizzly Nation and the community ecstatic. These accomplishments have allowed the team to move up from being placed 10th in the state to holding a rank of number 1.

“They couldn’t have ended the season any better,” exclaimed senior Eduardo Cruz.

Cruz was one of the many fans cheering for the team on their road to victory. Despite the games being played under cold weather conditions, in places such as San Luis Obispo and Downey, or on school nights, many Grizzlies showed their support with custom shirts, posters, and more.

The first game was played against the Fontana Steelers at Santa Ana Sports Complex, where they won with a whopping score of 5-1.

Their second game against San Luis Obispo (SLO), played five hours away in SLO, with the only goal of the match scored by their defensive player, senior Ernie Macias (#18) with an ending score of 1-0.

The third CIF game against Corona Del Mar High School was a win, with a final score of 2-0.

“My expectations were to make history again and win CIF; we wanted it bad,” said senior Alex Peñaloza, the team’s  goal keeper and captain.

The fiery semi-final prepared the boys for their final CIF game against Valencia High School. The game was not as nerve wracking and it resulted in a Grizzly win of  4-0.

Forward junior Andy Sosa (#6) believed that “Winning CIF pushed me to work harder this year because, as a team, we wanted to have the good feeling from last year.” 

Now it was time for the team to continue their journey to State Regionals.

With the advantage of having all their State Regional games played on their home field at the Santa Ana Sports Complex, the first round was against Canyon Crest Academy where the boys won with a score 3-0.

The boys also defeated Valencia High School for the third time this season, with a score of 3-0 during Regional semifinals.  

Then it all came down to the final game… State Regional finals.

The game against Santa Maria High School, did not go smoothly. Fans were shocked when during the first half of the game, the opposing team scored against Godinez. However, seven minutes into the second half of the game, Ibarra (#9) scored the team’s first goal. His goal was followed by Arzate’s  (#21) header. Without the Saints scoring any more goals, Godinez defeated Santa Maria with the final goal made by Ibarra.

It was truly a game that made history, Godinez history.   

Much of the boy’s success is a reflection of Head Coach Ruben Fernandez’s dedication to his team. “It’s been a great year and we really appreciate the support of all the students and the staff and the administration going to the games, following us on the road trips, and the support that the school has given the soccer program.”

Peñaloza proudly stated, “Our team has prepared in multiple ways since last season such as putting in hard work in the weight room, training hard on the practice field, and studying different tactics of soccer.” They worked daily to make sure they achieved their goals.

With a CIF ring on their fingers once again, the GFHS Boys’ Soccer Team definitely achieved their dreams.

2 Responses to “Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams”

1. Samantha Torres on September 20th, 2017 9:22 am

Back to Back CIF champs wow ! This is a amazing achievement to accomplish, great work from the boys and the coaches that helped them get to this point and make history at GFHS.

2. David De Niz on September 20th, 2017 10:39 am

Godinez soccer made history the past season. With a record of 27-1 only losing one game. They had an outstanding season, they won all the championships they could’ve. This has never been done in the Santa Ana School District , so it brings one joy to see what your school team has done.

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Anthony Martinez

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Hispanic Heritage Month Observed Through Major League Athletes

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Freshman in Cross Country Varsity Breaks All Time Record

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Athletes of the Month: September

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Friendships and Families in Volleyball

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

College Football: Will your college football team live up to the hype this season?

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Sports Spotlight: Donna Tran

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

A Game to Remember

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Another Year, Another Heartbreaking Loss for Godinez

• Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams

Sports

Athletes of the Month: May

Chasing Rings and Achieving Dreams